• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE help me make a shortcut for zooming in and out of the timeline in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I know... Premiere is for videos, but as a graphic designer I am still partial to using Photoshop and I'm genuinely impressed with how much video editing capabilities it has. However, I CANNOT find a way to enable/use a keyboard shortcut for zooming in and out of the Timeline. I find myself clicking those tiny little mountains way too often, and when I try going to edit Keyboard Shortcuts they don't appear as options. Is there any way around this?

—Sleepless in Photoshop

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

I don't judge you for using PS for editing little video projects. It works well for a lot of people making quick social media videos, etc.

Unfortunately, adding a quick key for the zoom on the timeline isn't something I can suggest. Because no where in the menus is there a place that states zoom in or out of the timeline. So we can't add an action quick key, or modify a shortcut that already exists.

I tried using an insert menu item and pressing the button for zoom in/out of timeline, but it doesn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScriptingListener does not seem to record any code for that so it seems unlikely that you will be able to implement a shortcut for it.

And as you already mentioned: If you are serious about video editing doing it in Photoshop is imprudent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that I'm "serious" about video editing, it's that—for what I specifically use it for—Photoshop works just fine and isn't a hindrance or imprudence on my part. Rather, it's ideal as it meshes design with basic video editing functions. What does seem imprudent is that Adobe wouldn't have a way to make shortcuts for two actions that are used very frequently, although I CAN make a keyboard shortcut to Enable Timeline Shortcut Keys (which, as noted, doesn't include zooming in and out of timeline).

—Still Sleepless (And A Bit Perturbed At Being Called Imprudent)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that you might come to regret your choice of Photoshop for the task later on if you should ever focus more strongly on Premiere and/or After Effects and the setups you created in Photoshop won’t transfer – that’s highly hypothetical, of course, and your decision to stick with Photoshop is by no means illegitimate, so please don’t take my choice of words as an insult.

In Photoshop a lot of Panel display functionality does not seem shortcut-able by default.

Take the Info Panel – one can raise the Options dialog but one cannot change the Readout settings themselves (by default at least, maybe via Scripting).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't judge you for using PS for editing little video projects. It works well for a lot of people making quick social media videos, etc.

Unfortunately, adding a quick key for the zoom on the timeline isn't something I can suggest. Because no where in the menus is there a place that states zoom in or out of the timeline. So we can't add an action quick key, or modify a shortcut that already exists.

I tried using an insert menu item and pressing the button for zoom in/out of timeline, but it doesn't record it.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's okay, I really appreciate your response and for trying! I fully trust that AE is the place to be for video editing, but my project is a very specific thing that is less video than design, and toggling on the timeline is just frustrating to do manually. Photoshop is insanely robust and an incredible program, but I hope Adobe updates to allow Keyboard Shortcuts here, as it's not the program I have a problem with, just my ability to control how I use it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd love AE. Its pretty much photoshop for video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there... I'm replying to this 3-year-old thread in the hope it will re-ignite the discussion on this shortcut request.

The previous commenters have all suggested the OP switch from Photoshop to Premiere or After Effects to do video work. I am a motion designer, my number one tool is AE, but I use the timeline Photoshop regularly for hand-drawn 2d animation. the brushes and stroke mods available in PS are so so SO much better than the equivalent tools in the video/compositing specific apps, so much so that now there are even third party script based tools to streamline roundtrip workflows between PS and AE.

Anyway back to the original feature request - team can we please have a keyboard shortcut created to zoom the photoshop timeline in and out? not having to go down to the mountain slider would speed up my workflow a ton.

And... if there is a better place to post PS feature requests - can someone help me out?

thanks beautiful nerds 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...if there is a better place to post PS feature requests...

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome Dave thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@remote.dan wrote:

And... if there is a better place to post PS feature requests - can someone help me out?

Hi 

This is a user forum and we don't work for Adobe. We can tell you how it works, but can't make changes. Make your feature requests to the product developers here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

EDIT on 21 October 2022

The original post is from July 2018 and things have changed. The feedback forum has merged with the user forum. Choose "Ideas" instead of "Discussions". Details here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I whole heartily feel your woes. My thoughts exactely.

And yes, thats something for the "Feature Request" so we might as well scream at noise absorbing wall. Lets hope we ll eventually find a script geek, witty enough come up with an idea on how and implement it so Adobe can steal it for the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I couldn't find a feature request on this (did you open one?) so I just filed one here https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/improve-zoom-options-of-timeline/idi-p/1328... where it's possible to leave a vote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines