• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print Presets Won't Save on Mac in Photoshop or Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for a few months. I am using Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 and Photoshop 2023 or Lightroom Classic. I have long used presets but now, after I save one, when I come back to it the next time, the saved preset does not retain any of the settings. I tried uninstalling Photoshop 2023, rebooting, then re-install Photoshop 2023. The presets still don't retain settings.

I've also tried deleting my P5000 printer from the system settings, and then re-installing my Epson driver. Again, doesn't fix the problem.

I also tried printing from Safari and made a preset in Safari and this one does work as it is supposed to. If I then switch back to Photoshop, the preset created while in Safari works properly in Photoshop. I tried one more time to create a preset while in Photoshop, but it still will not work.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Hi @evanNow hold the space bar down when going to File/Print - that will reset just the print dialog box instead of the entire program, does this solve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @NB, colourmanagement net for this work around. Hopefully this will get fixed at some point by Adobe and Apple along with a few other glitches. I have heard the new OS Sonoma 14.2 has affected the import of images from cards and tethering in LR. Not sure how much faith to put into this rumour but for now not upgrading until this has been resolved or get information to contra.

All the best, Brendan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brendan D Rowlands @Thanks for the thanks. I hope the workaround isn't too impractical. 
neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My issue is that the settings do not save when a custom paper size was used, predefined sizes are OK. I just tried the work around to use Apple Preview to save the settings on a custom paper size , and it works fine, so it cant be the OS, or the printer driver software.

I could be wrong, but this smells to me like a bug in how Photoshop uses the printer driver API. That thinking seems to be reinforced if people are seeing this in Lightroom too which is possibly using shared or similar code? Should be easy for Adobe to check either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to finally find this thread about this problem.   It is not isolated to Epson, I have the same problem with my Canon Pro-300 (Printing from LR 13.1 on a Mac / Sonoma 14.2.1 / M1 chip Mac Studio)

-  I tried the holding spacebar while going to File>Print without success.  Holding the spacebar makes it difficult to even select the File>Print menu option as it keeps entering repeating spaces!  Is there some trick to this?

-  I tried the suggested workaround by going to Apple Preview and setting a print preset there, and it doesn't work - the settings aren't saved when bringing up that preset in LR.

- Full Disk Access is enabled for LR and PS

It is quite annoying that this feature does not work.   For each and every print, I need to go back through all the settings and reset the options previously used.   For example, if I select Matte Photo Paper, the driver will reset back to Photo Paper Pro Platinum every single time - causing a profile / paper mismatch obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I don't save a preset, print and save the file. The settings I used remain. This is on a M2 Mac, with an Epson large format, using InDesign.

Now if I attempt to save a pre-set it will revert back to default settings! Which are Lustre Paper, Color Management On! This will override your custom Color profile and distort the colors on all your prints.

It took me weeks to work this out and a lot of wasted prints! The biggest mistake was not noticing Color Management in the print dialogue box switching on!

Not saving any presets has saved me! I would save it's the same printing with Photoshop.!

By the way I tried every advice in this thread from saving in Preview, printing with Preview, printing with the "unsupported" Epson layout tool. Even printing from Photoshop. None of those worked!  The Epson Layout tool was the only one where the Color was correct, but as for layouts, it's not the same as using InDesign!

I have contacted Epson, Apple and Adobe many times and they have no idea! Each person I spoke to blamed another company. Pass the parcel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't rely on the lastest features from third party app developers that absolutely require you to have macOS Ventura and up, at least you can go back to Monterey and forget about this.

Those, including me, with Macs came out after the release of Ventura can never roll back to Monterey and this is some serious problem Apple won't admit to fault but to point fingers to third party developers like the printer manufacturers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software updates are never ending. Sure you can use an old iMac , with old software and have no issues! I did for years. But it gets to a point where everything is really slow! That's why I upgraded. By the way M2 Studio Mac, with the latest OS Sonoma works fine without saving a pre-set. It remembers my previous settings for print!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah everything is really slow at one point cause you updated your software to the latest and still expect your old HW to process that much data. Obviously that's why everyone is updating to newer HW periodically to not get boggled down when they work.

But among professionals there's a saying that "if it ain't broke don't change it" and that's why people who rely on computers/softwares drag out as much as possible before updaiting or work with new features in frustration expecting a solution would come out in the near future.

I happned to be the later and I am beyond furious at this point cause it's a little over a year since Ventura released (I bet Sonoma is just an extension of Ventura cause it introduced new features but with the same problem still persisting) and NO-ONE has come up with viable solution (NOT work around) so far.

Monterey on Apple silicon is never going to slow you down cause I'm sure Apple designed its processor to run Moneterey without any problem and my M1 mac mini is still running Monterey without any sign of slowing down. It's the updates in the web environment and thrid party apps that will get you slow down. You can't control what you get on web environment coming through your ISP and router but you can control how far of an update you're going to get so YMMV depending on what you need.

Work around suggetions such as not saving pre-set or setting printer settings in Preview app don't work for me so you didn't need to pitch in your case and absolutely no need for you to throw in objection for my reply.

I'm saying that going back to Monterey is the only viable solution at this point that I've found IF you don't need the latest features from any SW developer, including Apple itself, and IF the OP of the reply heavily rely on printing for his/her/their work process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print dialogue box in Photoshop.pngI never said anything about not saving a preset in Preview. I was referring to InDesign. Works fine for me! It also works fine for Photoshop! I have tested both. The photo attached was from the print dialogue box in Photoshop where I have opened up an old file and it saved my settings, without using a pre-set. If I did save a pre-set, it would revert to the default setting which is Lustre Paper!

As for using old hardware, sure if you never update the software it's a case of yes "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" But if you're using a new high megapixel camera, or Phone it will take forever to open files! 

Last time I post in this topic. Good luck to everyone else!

"Work around suggetions such as not saving pre-set or setting printer settings in Preview app don't work for me so you didn't need to pitch in your case and absolutely no need for you to throw in objection for my reply."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I've seen this inability to save and recall printer settings, it has been a Mac OS issue. The printer preset I am are referring to is part of the printer manufacturer's driver software. When you click "Printer settings" the printer driver is what you see.

It's been reported that you can make a preset from Apple's Preview app then when you select  the same printer in Photoshop and click "Printer settings" you should see the preset you saved.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines