• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem in actions

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using macOS Monterey and working on Photoshop 2022. In the action tab, the save action keeps rewriting over the original file created, so I cannot batch process or use actions for that matter; if I have ten photos in a folder, the action will rewrite all under the original created. Can anyone help thank you.

[Moved to Photoshop Discussions; Actions tagged added.]

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a bug...

When recording the save step, don't change the filename, only set the save path.

In the Batch command, you need to check the box for "override action save commands" or words to that effect (sorry, I'm not in front of Photoshop).

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#batch_process_files_in_nested...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't quite understand; in saving the file, I must go to "save as" to direct the photo to the folder of choice. Each time I play actions, it keeps rewriting that same file name. I don't quite understand how to set the save path. ( If I click on "save", it will rewrite the file in lightroom, that is not what I need.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the action with the save step expanded and the panel wide enough to view all recorded content.

Example:

atn.png

Above you can see that one step recorded the change in name and the path to the desktop. The other step I didn't change the name of the recorded saved file but I did set the path to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached screenshot was my method of saving

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that screenshot doesn't help. Please read the instructions again and view the example in my previous post. I need to see how the action was recorded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unable to change it to don't chanve file name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes, as expected – you did indeed record with the filename. As my screenshot indicates, it is possible to record with filename and path, or only the path. You can't edit the step, it needs to be recorded again correctly.

If you are not using this in a Batch, you can enable an interactive save by activating the "modal" control, which will then allow you to rename and change the path etc.

modal.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the attachment below and it did not work. It rewrote the file with same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you have incorrectly recorded an explicit filename. Let me try to put it visually... 

save-in-atn.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so I cannot batch process"

You can actually use action for batch process but without save step which can be overwriten as shown below on screenshot, just check Override Action "Save As" Command in File > Automate > Batch.

override save step.jpg

For everything else just follow @Stephen_A_Marsh instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I feel that intuitively you should understand that when you specify another name during recording, the action is always going to use that specific filename. But if you just record saving to a specific folder w/o changing the filename, the action will use the name of the current doc as filename.

-

Maybe that is not your only problem. I forgot what happens if you do multiple saves from the same document to the same folder. This may not create different filenames (much), but overwrite or ask to overwrite.

If that is a problem, you can save to different folders or look into using a script. If your two saves are for color and B&W (for example), it kinda makes sense to save to two folders anyway, or at least, it's not a huge hassle. If you want all files in one folder, use a multi-rename tool and add "B&W" to the B&W filenames later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines