• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows Users

1 - open your image with Paint

2 - Click on "File" > Save as then choose a different name 

3 -  you can keep the .jpg format or use .png format , works for both

4 - that's it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Windows 10] Consegui resolver abrindo a foto com o visualizador de fotos do windows copiando e colando no photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the easiest thing is to right click problem .jpg, open in MS Paint, save as .png and open with PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A more easy fix or workaround this issues is to follow these steps:

If you are using Windows open the image with Paint and than just click Save on Windows paint window. After that your image will be compatible with photoshop and you can import or open it without issues. This fix helped me, hope it does the same for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it's the same on Windows 10, but on Windows 7, I just highlight images,  right click,  and select rotate clockwise/counterclockwise. It fixes the problem without having to open another program to re-save it and saves time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regedit (admin) -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Adobe -> Photoshop -> 110.0 or 120.0 -> create DWORD 32bit -> name: 'OverridePhysicalMemoryMB', value: (for example) 4096 -> OK -> run Photoshop. Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried your fix after the other easier ones (saved in Paint and took over half hour to "place" new .png in photoshop) but I'm stuck. I know nothing about computers. Tried to follow your directions but I am stuck after Photoshop->110. or 120.0. I'm running Photoshop Elements 2018. I have Photoshop ->16.0 but I can't see how or where to "create DWORD 32bit, so I think I must be missing something.  Please help! Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo. Do you have catalog 11.0 or 120.0 in the Photoshop directory? (If yes click right mouse button -> new -> DWORD 32bit -> right mouse button -> modufy and os on), (If not send me screenshot from '... -> Photoshop ->' and/or from '... -> 110. or 120.0 -> ').

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't thank you enough!! Did exactly as you said (catalog is 16.0) and it worked fabulously! I'm so happy! THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOrry not that technical could I have this a step by step guide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure what i'm doingelements.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a couple of hours working on this, I discovered the issue happened right after a Windows Update. I undid the update and went back to the previous version of Windows I was using and that fixed the issue. I found the instructions on how to undo the update here --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to set the value data as Decimal not Hexadecimal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not computer coding savvy either. I wrote down exactly what I did to fix it, so I can do it again next month when the win10 update crashes it.  -> means then click on

Type Regedit into search bar-> run command-> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Adobe -> Photoshop ->  right click on 16.0-> New->create DWORD 32bit -> name: 'OverridePhysicalMemoryMB', -> (press enter to un-highlight)-> right click on "overridephysicalmemorymb-> modify->value= 4096 (must be decimal) -> OK -> then close and run Photoshop.

You're on the right track....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to do this. Go to this website JPG a PNG – Convierta de JPG a PNG  place your image and converted into PNG than go to psd and place it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want top throw in my two cents for nj.arora​ .

Noticed people here are saying they have problems with JPEGs downloaded from instagram.

I'm having the same issue when I try to load JPEGs downloaded from facebook.

Considering that these two websites are owned by the same company, I would assume that it has something to do with their compression algorithms, or maybe just some facebook-specific metadata which Photoshop does not yet know how to parse.

Facebook is notorious for its crappy file compression and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Instagram follows the same practices. It stands to reason that a fix by clipping and saving to a new file just removes whatever data Facebook attaches that is not part of a standard JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this 'Parsing JPEG Data' problem in PSE 2018. I have a strong suspicion that for me it is brought on by a Memory (RAM) issue with PS which is reported elsewhere and could in fact be the root of the problem that johns9184832reported. I got the 'Parsing' message when I tried to open more than 4 images in PSE simultaneously.

I found this forum post:

Problem with available RAM

Which linked to a workround here:

Error while accessing performance preferences - 'An integer between 96 and 8 is required.'

The workround solution in that last page worked for me - the 'Parsing JPEG Data' problem stopped and I was able to make PSE run faster! Note that Adobe still need to fix the memory usage problem properly though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link below will fix the following issues:

• "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data"
  • "Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)"
  • "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer & reopened any document"

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimjenks  wrote

The link below will fix the following issues:

• "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data"
  • "Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)"
  • "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer & reopened any document"

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

This worked perfectly for me for the latest version of Photoshop CC (as opposed to Elements). Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this didn't work with my CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an easier way for mac. Just open the file with the native Preview app, choose File>Export, select PNG and save.
No need to import on Photos app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Photoshop Elements 2015 last year to edit some pictures that I had scanned from photographs of my ancestors.  I didn't have any problems with loading any of them into Photoshop.  I just got back to doing this work and now I find all kinds of problems as users have mentioned here.  I decided to upgrade to Photoshop Elements 2018 thinking that would solve the problem but it hasn't.  The problem is still the same plus a lot of new errors.  It seems that I have upgraded for nothing.

I did use the Microsoft Paint workaround and it worked.  I am disappointed that people have been mentioning this problem since 2015 and here it is 2018 and the problem still exists.  I cannot understand why I didn't have this problem last year.  I wonder if the various upgrades to the Microsoft Operating System (I'm running 10) could have something to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a metadata issue. in the jpeg header. The solution posted saying to rotate + un-rotate in Windows Explorer works perfectly... without LOSS due to COMPRESSING/TRANSCODING the file in mspaint or whatever. It's also far easier than opening then saving in another program, because you can select multiple files in Windows Explorer, right-click and rotate all at once.

I opened the rotated file and a copy of the original in a text comparison program (WinMerge), and the only part of the file changed is the very top section (the header). the actual jpeg data is left untouched. funny that even though the rotate function is solely intended to change/set the "orientation" tag in the EXIF data, the entire header is essentially replaced altogether... I'm assuming because it's invalid data anyway, Windows just (re)creates the EXIF header according to spec. (Instagram photos don't even have EXIF data to begin with. Just and IPTC tag with some strange "special instructions" characters). As to what the header actually is... well who knows? It's obviously a junked header. Still a valid jpeg, but Photoshop seems to be especially fussy.

rotating & un-rotating a file without EXIF.orientation leaves the orientation set to "Top left", which is the default location for the first pixel in a jpeg anyway.

For curiosity's sake, I really do wonder what the MEANING of Instagram's junk header is... maybe it really is that simple, as mentioned here before... that they found a dirty trick to prevent people from shooping their goods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens a lot with images Dloaded from Facebook as well. Think some of these images contain extra data that throws PS off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines