• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks buddy its working wow the software should find an alternative way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest work around is to open it in paint > save as > either .jpg or .png. fire it up in photoshop.. that should work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a WORK AROUND and this is NOT a SOLUTION for an obvisous flaw or bug.  I just shelled out $$$$$ and now have Elements 15 across the platform.........STILL have the problem only with Adobe. 

If freebie Paint can parse and save its a flaw with Adobe Elements Photoshop Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a detail but I recommend an uncompressed format rather than another round of JPEG coding.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. Happening to me right now on Win 10 64-bit. Paint/Save only thing that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this actually been solved? I find it crazy that Photoshop is unable to open files that MS paint can open. But i do realize photos producing this error may be corrupt somehow, it's just nuts that a non-adobe program can open a file that photoshop should most certainly open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SIMPLEST solution for WINDOWS user:

1.Open the image in Paint

2.Save as Jpeg

3.Open in photoshop.

CONGRATS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the message is displayed for a variety of reasons. So the 'fix' will depend on the reason. It's the curse of modern software that the users (and even support people) don't get enough help from the software itself to diagnose and resolve problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this fix has been mentioned, but again, for Mac users only.

1. Open your file in 'Preview'
  2. Goto the 'File' menu, choose 'Export'
  3. Save your file as a TIFF (I haven't experimented with the other file 'Format' options)
  4. From here you can open it photoshop and save it to which ever file format you require.

Kind regards

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has NOT been answered, and NOT been fixed. The "solution" is a work around the problem... yes for some reason any jpg that I download can not be loaded. But if I load it with ANY other graphics program, and re-save it, it then loads in Photoshop.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows NT

Version: 6.2

...That is Windows 10 64bit

It's sad that such advanced software and be out done by Windows Paint!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and Paint is FREE!!!!!! this is a continued issue with photos created or downloaded from FB and my Android phone.  i copy them to my laptop for cataloging in Lightroom and my NAS storage system folders and Adobe can't seem top open these JPGs now suddenly and Paint and windows viewer and EVERYBODY else (lots of FREE stuff) can..........but my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Adobe products can't and says they are invalid. 

yeah i know the only solution will be to buy a monthly CC subscription to get the fix????  <frown>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found another solution:

I was having this issue with a over-1gb-size PSD file. The cause of the error was probably one of the many smart object JPG images on the file.

The cause of the error for me was photoshop "Convert Colors" action before opening said file (this usually happens instantly on a small JPG image, but it takes years on a big file....)

To fix it I had to turn off "Color Management Policies" on EDIT > Color Settings.
Just set all 3 options to "off" and try opening the file again.

I believe the reason why Paint works on fixing the file here is because Paint simply ignores color profiles on images, hence the reason it doesn't glitch out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds very interesting. However I was having this trouble with simple jpegs which were only few hundred kbs in size. Had to open each individually in Preview, duplicate and save as jpeg - and that opened in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This simplest way is to open the file using an online convert (I use Online converter - another one may work) and upload the broken jpeg and save it as a jpeg. Works without having to move the file of another directory and using other software than PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.. What i did was used ACDSee and converted my pictures to Jpeg. No problems at all anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've yet to find a picture editor the DOESN'T work except Photoshop and Premiere Pro.  I just used Paint because it's automatically installed on every Windows computer.  FYI, you don't have to save as JPEG.  I tend to use Bitmap or PNG to avoid losses in a second compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi it's almost 2017, and I'm having the same problem. Only when I'm trying to open downloaded JPG in PS CC on Windows 10, i get the pop-up window with text "Could not place JPG because of a problem parsing JPG data". I need to open Paint(seriously PAINT!) Then save it as JPG, and then I can open it in PS. Seriously, Adobe you cant or don't want to repair this issue? Great work Adobe, great work... There are tons of issues,  bugs in your CC Cloud, and another dozens of things you could make better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started having this problem.  What changed, Adobe?  Adobe, please provide a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just used an old workaround that works fine

1. Open folder with jpegs

2. Select one or as many you want

3. Right click and click on Rotate clockwise

4. Right click and click on Rotate counterclockwise

5. Turn PS off and on again. It will open the jpegs

I think it's a Meta Data issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround that worked for me ... from Photoshop, File / Browse in Bridge ... in Bridge, select the file then File / Open in Camera Raw, then from the bottom of the Camera Raw window ... Open Image. The image will then hopefully open in PhotoShop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find a way around it.

Access the images through Bridge, select them, and right click to open with camera raw. Once in camera raw, hit done, and it will open up in Photoshop. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really needs to pull their heads out of their asses. This exists for MANY people and FOR A LONGGGGGGGGGGG TIME. It is truly sad that the answer is to open with paint, do nothing and save. I SHOULD NOT have to do that with this hyper expensive program. PLEASE FIX THIS AND STOP YOUR EXCUSES ABOUT BRIDGE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And gosh, Adobe went to a subscription model so they could offer constant improvements and updates.

Right.

I have a nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer.  There is no reason on earth for the 'Best' image application on earth to be the ONLY application on earth with this issue.  Where is the monthly payment discount for the lack of support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines