Problem with Raw files being cropped

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all I'm having some problems importing some of my raw files into photoshop

When I preview them in finder they are 3840 x 5760 as CR2

but as jpeg they 3840 x 5120

i open them in camera raw 9.12 but the raw files suddenly become like the jpeg versions

I have seen advice of other forums of converting them to DNG, but when i open them as DNG they are the same.

I'd really like to restore the tops and bottoms of my photos in some pictures and don't know why i can't open them in the full aspect ratio

any help would be a life saver!

Thank you

EDIT: Photos were taken on mark iii 5d

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

I ran into the same problem, and this is the solution I've found: After you open the raw file in Photshop Camera raw go to the Crop section on the right side and set the Preset to Full. Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 14.13.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your ACR worflow options.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried going to here sadly. All I get is the default image option in sizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save any workflow presets?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No preset workflows. Strangey the only way round it i have found is opening in iPhoto. But obviously that's not as good as dealing with raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. J. Crow described what still plagues me.

How in a (linear manner) may use Adobe Photoshop 2020 Camera Raw v12.2 to process the images I have shot between 2007 and today - without losing any portion of the data that the images contain?

After reading through the information given Mr. J Crow I’m further plagued, because the solution is not reassuring.

Seems that to fix Camera Raw’s auto cropping of camera’s built before CR 7 (now CR12) is to buy a new camera (I use a Panasonic LX 5 and have tens of thousands of Raw files that now seem to be hamstrung by Adobe PS -  Unless I use LightRoom in place of Photoshop. I’ve been using Phootoshop since PS2?

Please tell me this isn’t so.

The issue is: when opening a Raw image file with PS 2020 Camera Raw crops what turns out to be around ¼ of an inch off of the image’s edge, it also automatically flattens the lens distortion.

I shoot through a viewfinder, everything I see in the frame at the time I see it is important to me; having the software make indiscriminant adjustments is not what I want. I’d like to work with what I first saw, what I photographed, not with what the software developers seem to think would be ‘helpful’ or what most people want in post image capture.

Easy to see the level of frustration here.

How can I STOP Photoshops Camera Raw from auto cropping, and adjusting the Raw images I’ve shot;  so that I can continue using Adobe PS as my primary image processing platform?

Any assuring assistance with a working solution is welcome

Sincerly

BG

March 29, 2020

Original:

James Crow
October 26.2017

Dear all I'm having some problems importing some of my raw files into photoshop

When I preview them in finder they are 3840 x 5760 as CR2

but as jpeg they 3840 x 5120

i open them in camera raw 9.12 but the raw files suddenly become like the jpeg versions

I have seen advice of other forums of converting them to DNG, but when i open them as DNG they are the same.

I'd really like to restore the tops and bottoms of my photos in some pictures and don't know why i can't open them in the full aspect ratio

any help would be a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The 5D Mk111 can set a crop in camera. From the drop down at the top of camera raw try "Clear crop"

The attached gives more info :

Images unexpectedly cropped in Lightroom

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem, and this is the solution I've found: After you open the raw file in Photshop Camera raw go to the Crop section on the right side and set the Preset to Full. Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 14.13.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cropping problem just started with me when the automatic PS version update happened a few days ago. JPEG files ooen fune, but raw files are cropped. My crop setting is at "full", but I still have to go in and adjust it manually for each image imported. I don't know how many version updates I've gone thru over the last 10+ years and this never happened with any of them. The Adobe help desk didn't or couldn't....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some cameras include proprietary crop metadata that can only be handled using OEM software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you V... this is the only solution of all the above that actually worked... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lamento no tener una respuesta para ti. Pero yo estoy con un problema por el cual cuando abro un archivo raw (ORF) Adobe Camera Raw recorta los márgenes. Tu hablas de abrir en "relación de aspecto completa". Deduzco que tienes problemas con los márgenes inferior y superior y yo los tengo con los márgenes laterales. El fabricante de la cámara me ha respondido que no tiene solución "debido al tamaño de las imágenes" ... obtenidas con las cámaras que ellos fabrican y con su propio software, Workspace. Mi problema está descrito en esta dirección de la comunidad

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/por-qu%C3%A9-fotos-windows-11-muestra-imagen...

¿Cómo se puede abrir un archivo en la relación de aspecto completa?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines