• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with the Save As function when used in an Action since update 21.1

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of my workflow of white backgrounding for website use, I have an action that squares off the canvas, boosts the size of the selected layer and then performs 'Save As' in a different folder to the open file. This gives me two files, one full size and one square. The whole process worked very well and I could process a lot of images quickly up until the most recent update. The D drive it is set to save it to is a local HDD and I can 'Save As' perfectly well outside of the Action but this slows down the workflow a lot. I tried rolling back the photoshop version but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Here's a screenshot of the Action panel and the resulting Error message.

Action with Save as functionAction with Save as functionResulting errorResulting error

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Hi all,

This should be fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went out this week.

Please update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Hello,
There is a new update available for Photoshop 21.1.1. Could you please test that and let us know that the issue is resolved.
Fixed issues in Photoshop
Thanks,
Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 119 Replies 119
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't make out the error message in the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document should already be saved (have a path)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try {
    var d = new ActionDescriptor();
    var d1 = new ActionDescriptor();
    d.putObject(stringIDToTypeID("as"), stringIDToTypeID("photoshop35Format"), d1);
    d.putPath(stringIDToTypeID("in"), new File("D:\\1"));
    executeAction(stringIDToTypeID("save"), d, DialogModes.NO);
    }
catch (e) { throw(e); }

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the failing save as step the folder names is recorded into the step. "D:\WEBSITE IMAGES\"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message seems to state that the File name is not valid.  However the message does contain the full file name that is invalid.  The Action step has no file name recorded in the steps settings so Photoshop should default the file name to the Document Names which should be a valid file name. I do not see any invalid characters in the Image windows document name which is something like "MEXSP007 Medium Catrina Ceramic (8).psd"  I believe the Action manager would strip the PSD than add PSD since it a Save As Photoshop step.  It could well be a Bug in 21.1.0  Adobe message could be better.  If it included the full name  we could see if the name is invalid or valid.  Here we can only speculate that 21.1.0 has a problem from what we can see.  Problems should be expected in Adobe Updates Adobe always delivers them.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not form the path correctly if the file is already saved. Instead of a name, it substitutes the full path.
Here is the attempt to save in d:\1 the file d:\(ssss)\untitled-1.psd.
Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just do not understand what your script has to do with his Action that would override the path a document  backing file would have.  The Step is "Save AS" a Photoshop document in folder "D:\WEDSITE IMAGES\" that folder setting is recorded into the Action "SAVE AS" Step it not a  "Save" step save steps have no recorded settings.  They are simply a "Save" Step nothing other then "Save" is recorded.

image.png

His step is

Save

AS: Photoshop

With Maximize Compatability

IN: D:\WEBSIT IMAGES\

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, i never like using Save in an Action and i know this doesn't solve your problem, but have you ever tried using Batch or Image Processor to run this script? You can drop the Save portion of the action, then use either of those tools for the Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I prefer to use Image Processor and Image Processor Pro they have their own limitation or advantage it may depend on how you view it. They will only saved new files they will not save over existing file the will add sequence numbers to file names.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely there is a problem on the Save As command, I just posted a problem report with a very simple action that it is to save a copy of an already saved file to a different folder as a jpeg, it gives me a"file invalid error", I have been using this action for years with no problems until this recent new update (21.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes There has been more than one report about invalid File names errors in save As steps.  Revert Photoshop 21.1.0 to 21.0.3 use the Creative Cloud desktop to do this. It will uninstall 21.1.0 first.   Save your Users ID Photoshop 2020 Preferences before do that downgrade it seems to reset Photoshop Preferences in the uninstall reinstall process.  Restore you Preferences after 21.0.3 is installed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue that just started after recent update. The workaround of reverting to Photoshop 21.0.3 corrected the issue for me in the short term, but when will there be a fix so I can resume updating Photoshop, and how can I get notifide so I know that it is safe to apply updates again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where would I find Users ID Photoshop 2020 Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Run an action that saves a file to 2 different folders as "save as". Saves to the first folder and I get the "file name is invalid" when saving to the next folder..

I have used this simple actions thousands of times, I updated Photoshop today and now have the problem. It has to be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your responses, in a way it's good to know I'm not the only one having an issue. Hopefully it means there will be a fix quicker.

The advantage using Save As in an action is that the new 'Saved As' file will already be open. With Image Processor you have to manually open the new processed file. This adds only seconds on to the process but this adds up when doing hundreds of photos. It also adds a new chance for human error as you might accidentally open the wrong file.

Mostly it's just very annoying when you've gradually developed a workflow that works great for you and an update comes along and ruins it! Will revert back to 21.0.3 for now, thanks JJMack for the preferences headsup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the  only one, 
Not only did I receive the same error with Version 21.1, I got it at home and at work, so I can assure you that it not pc specific, but definitely a bug in 21.1

I have also had to revert back to a previous version and this seriously hinders my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
There is a new update available for Photoshop 21.1.1. Could you please test that and let us know that the issue is resolved.
Fixed issues in Photoshop
Thanks,
Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a confirmation on this fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered no issues since last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

I had similar workflow issues as you and was hoping it had worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working for me, in my case, it is a very simple action of which I had problems before but not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after updating to 21.1 a simple action that I created is not working anymore, 
I delete it and re-created again and still not working, this action is to save a copy in a different folder as a jpeg, the error says "Could not save a copy as (file name) because the file name was not valid", the same image same file name can be save manually with no problems, I have been using this action for years with the same kind of name format, so, what can be wrong on this new version? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this very same problem. Simple action to save file in two places just with size change. Always been my best workflow action now fails at save small files size, 'File name not valid'. I can save it manually with 'save as' but totally destroys workflow. Tried recreating the action, even split the action into two but cannot save those resized files under an action without the error. IS THERE A SOLUTION?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines