• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with touchpad gestures

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get touchpad gestures to work with photoshop. They work fine with my touchscreen, but when it comes to the trackpad and my intuos medium pro's touch features, the gestures are ignored or work strangely. Pan is choppy, moving chunks at a time and never in both directions simultaneously (so horizontal movement then vertical, never diagonal) When I pinch, it horizontal pans, though i'm not sure if it's just that the gesture is not recognized.

Either way, this is incredibly frustrating to me. I'd like tips on how to maybe fix this, since it seems like it should work on trackpads and touch tablets.

I'm running windows 10, Gestures are enabled on the menu and GPU is turned on (and on advanced).

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Hi all,

Have either of you try resetting the Photoshop preferences to see if that reenables the touch gestures not on the trackpad?

Reset Photoshop preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html#prefs

According to the engineering team regarding gestures and trackpad support: "We don't support gestures on the trackpad.  All we get there are OS window gesture events which can be unreliable."

So if it's working on-screen, but not on trackpad, that is working as inte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing. I bought a really expensive computer and part of it was because of the touchpad

I really need this to be figured out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cacuu,

Please let us know the version of Photoshop you are using now? Is it the latest one CC 2017.1.1?

Also, refer the below discussion related to the similar issue

Photoshop CC 2015 - Touch Gestures not working on Surface Pro

Touch gestures in Photoshop

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just activated it a week ago for me so I'm guessing the newest version (I'm not replying on that computer but one I use for school)

Do those just work on macs then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Have either of you try resetting the Photoshop preferences to see if that reenables the touch gestures not on the trackpad?

Reset Photoshop preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html#prefs

According to the engineering team regarding gestures and trackpad support: "We don't support gestures on the trackpad.  All we get there are OS window gesture events which can be unreliable."

So if it's working on-screen, but not on trackpad, that is working as intended.

Hopefully this helps shed some light.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed to this date.

"Working as intended" So you're saying that's good behaviour?

Why is it that this works on Mac but not on PC?

I'm using a Surface Book 2, which has a precision trackpad that supports gestures in literally every programm I have, but it doesn't work in any of the CC Apps.

I thought you also have a partnership with Microsoft, especially regarding Surface devices. How come you you don't support this feature?

This seriously hinders my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 10 months passed and nothing happened. Great! Just replying for visibility so this gets fixed at some point.

Nobody, and I mean literally nobody at Adobe seems to be using a Windows laptop, a Surface, whatever. Because If someone would, they'd be annoyed to no end by not having touchpad gestures.

Fix it, this isn't rocket science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can absolutely agree on that.
I would like to use adobe acrobat as my standard pdf programm, but scrolling and zooming with a trackpad that is not acknowledged by the touchscreen mode is way too impractical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "feature" (more like basic functionality) is still absent from the new CC 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same disappointment here, it’s years 9201 already, and XD, AI had already supported the touchpad gestures, but Photoshop team still just proud of they discovered the continuously ctrl+z ? Why Adobe packs cannot provide a consistently user experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The implementation in Illustrator is still janky as hell. Try OneNote or Drawboard PDF to see how smooth it can be. Or zooming in Edge or Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? What does it mean "All we get there are OS window gesture events which can be unreliable."? So how do other applications (for example, Google Chrome) do to perfectly support Windows 10 gestures?

It's beyond incredible that the softwares of the Adobe CC 2020 still do not support Windows 10 gestures. I am forced to use the mouse because Photoshop and Illustrator are litterally unusable with the trackpad. Scrolling is laggy/jittery, pinch to zoom does not work, and in Photoshop, the horizontal scrolling is even reversed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and adobe still can't be bothered to give windows users the same basic touchpad controls as mac users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and it's the very same story. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I'm not able to edit my own comments, I'm having to leave another one to add this;

It's frustrating that touchpad/trackpad gestures are not even close to on par with how they are on macOS, except for Adobe XD. It's something I've wanted for ages, and what Windows users get are half-baked seemingly-hacky workarounds to get them sort of work.

Adobe customers have to pay several *hundreds* of dollars for Adobe products, and yet Windows users often are treated like second-class citizens when it comes to giving us some of the tools we want or need, and that needs to change. I'm sure that the Windows market share is larger than the macOS marketshare, and yet we don't get all the same benefits that macOS users get. 

I went and bought a Magic Trackpad 2 the other day (and installed a 3rd party GitHub trick to make the Macig Trackpad 2 be recognized as a proper Windows PTP) just to try my hand at trackpad gestures on Windows again  since I hadn't tried them on Windows in a few years, and was again disappointed by Adobe's lack of support in particular despite so many other programs/apps supporting PTP gestures. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines