• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems using Batch Image crop with automated Save As -- files aren't saving

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple function that I want to run on multiple photos to get various crops.  The problem is that for some reason, the Save As function isn't working the way it should.  I can see PS open up the image...but then there's no saved file.  It's the same as the original.  I've started logging and there's no info there, just "Started Closed."

I'm using a Dell notebook Latitude 530 with 32GB of RAM, with a recent vanilla install of Adobe Creative Cloud.  I'm using the PS that's local, the app.

I can run the Scripts > Image Processing fine and then select 1200x800 and that will work, but it will overwrite the original image with an identically named file...which is frustrating because I have to make 3 crops.

One thing is that I do not have a "Save" enabled in the actual action itself.  That's only cropping, and the Save I've done after I stopped recording the action.  Does it need to have a Save inside the action to work?

In any case, when I've tried Batch Automating, I select the origin folder on the left, and then choose the function I want (i.e. 1200x800).  I then go to the right side and choose "Folder" and then "Overwrite Save As" and just want to add a postfix to the file before the extention.  (i.e. myfile_small.jpg).  The sample filename looks fine there, and I go ahead and run it...and nothing happens.  The files open one by one and PS chugs a bit, but I never find the images.  I've thought maybe it was saving images that were somehow "hidden" but that doesn't seem to work.

So...any help and tips would be great.  Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

So the issue here is that I was incorrectly thinking the "Override Save As" tickbox applied to the below filename window...that to use the filename I had to tick the box.  Once I UNticked that box, things worked like a charm.  So user error in a big way.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Action and using Photoshop 2021 you me to use a version eariler than version 22.4.1 or  version 22.4.2  or newer where your enable legacy Save AS user interface.  Adobe Changed  Photoshop User Interface for Apple in Photoshop version 22,4.1 which brakes  Actions with Save As steps that saved flat image files from layered document.  These Steps become interactive in version 22.4.1 and newer  which stops batch processes the the save as step is no longer automated or capable of saving a flat image file when the current document has layers you need to interactively  switch to save a copy and know where you want to save a flat copy and what file type the should be save.  In version 22.4,2 and newer you can set your Photoshop preferences to enable Legacy Save as and these Actions will once again work as they were recorded.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Scripts > Image Processing fine and then select 1200x800 and that will work, but it will overwrite the original image with an identically named file.."

Without investigation and without checking what is going on in software because I even do not know your version number. You can save 3 different crops using Image Processor Pro Image Processor Pro / v3_2 betas without any action. Are you aware of that? If you need further help do not hesitate to comment and ask question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Image Processor script are designed not to overwrite files they will save new file  and add a sequential suffix version serial.

image.png

However, The images processors scripts do not crop images they can resize image to fit with in some size canvas size you set in the scripts dialog. It a constrained resize the resized images Aspect ratio will not change to distort the image to the size set. It will be that size or smaller if the image aspect ratio is not the same the canvas size set.  The Image Processor can include a user's recorded action that may crop images  to different Aspect ratios.  Actions have a hard time dealing with image file that have any size they can not ues logic in the processing like Scripts. To deal with size. Actions are recordef Photoshop steps with fixed settings.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my crafting Actions package I include a dozen Scripts I programmed to be used in actions to help actions to be able to do some simple things that require scripting logic,    A couple of t he script are Photoshop Plug-in like Adobe "Fit Image",  These can be recorded in Actions the plug-in scripts  will record the settings use in  Plug-in Dialog into the Action step being recorded. When the Action is played the Plug-in will bypass displaying its dialog. Instead the script will use the recorded setting passed to it by the Action player.    One of the  plug-in is " AspectRatioSelection.jsx" This plug-in makes Photoshop Rectangle and Eclipse selection and path tool available to actions in Aspect Ratio mode.  So it is easy for actions to set selections and paths to mask and crop images. Then resize to a specific canvas size  for the Aspect ratio.

image.png

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Download

Here 10 Actions are used to crop and size images to 10 different Jpeg image sizes into 10 different  folder for my different image size devices. The Cropping and resizing is done by the actions the saving is done by image processor pro.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So the issue here is that I was incorrectly thinking the "Override Save As" tickbox applied to the below filename window...that to use the filename I had to tick the box.  Once I UNticked that box, things worked like a charm.  So user error in a big way.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines