Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2020 - 3D visible seams

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried to use Photoshop CC 2020 to paint a texture on a 3d model. The problem is UV seams are still visible, even if I use high resolution textures (8192px * 8192 px) and standard brushes. I made a test on a cube to explain this problem (attached image).

If I do the painting in ZBrush it works, so I suppose my mesh and its UVs are correct. But I need to use the cloning stamp tool a lot, and ZBrush is not efficient to do this.

So is there a way to get invisible seams in Photoshop ? If not, which other tool can I use instead of Photoshop and ZBrush ?

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

the workaround is to paint on the texture itself

https://windowsforum.com/media/workaround2-gif.756/full

note that the camera angle is what causes the bug... in effect you are looking at the pixels side on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your image

3dVisibleSeams_PhotoshopCC.jpg

my image

Screenshot (3650).png

if you untick UV maps they go away... what I do is make a new layer for each texture colour

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I understand well, it works if I don't use the projection painting method or if paint directly on the texture. But I need to paint skin and hair on a 3d model with  a UV seam between scalp and face. So how can I get invisible seams between scalp and face if I don't use the projection mode to paint ? I precise the vertices between scalp and face are welded.

HeadScalp_Seam.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what I see on your file but I will ask the other Acps for you

p.s, Blender really is worth getting for anyone using 3D, its free & to be blunt... a lot more up to date than most the paid software around

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would need the model if you want to share it then I'm happy to test for you

however in general;

1. after adding a new layer, select the area you want to colour then paint the texture on the uv map
  2. when you are ready to see the result rendor... you can draw a sqaure around part of the model to only rendor what you need and save time but without a rendor Photoshop only gives a preview i.e, a guess
  3. there are major Gpu bugs in Photoshop that make it worthless for pro 3D work... I use an older build myself but you must tick the backfaces option in current builds because Adobe cut corners with testing

select area to be paintedselect area to be painted

do a full or part rendordo a full or part rendor

major bug = click backfacesmajor bug = click backfaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried the rendering method but seams are still visible....

If you want to try, here is my model with its texture : Shepard_ME3_NewUV .

This is what I attempt to do : I made a first version of the head mesh that uses only one texture for face and scalp (Mesh v1). But, I had to create another version of this model (Mesh v2) to split scalp and face in two textures. So I changed the UVs. What I want now is Mesh v2 looks like Mesh v1 with invisible seams between scalp and face.

MyModel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If not, which other tool can I use instead of Photoshop and ZBrush ?"

You could try Blender 2.82, it has a texture paint clone brush and the good thing is it's free 😀

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-82/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll try with Blender if I have no other choice ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the long | bad vids, I'm at work and had to borrow a pen... when I get home I'll fire up 2020 and see if I can make this rendor line you are getting at your end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much to take time to help me 🙂

If needed, here is the Mesh v1 hair mask texture : Hair_mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! If I'd need to paint textures my go-to tool would be Substance Painter, https://www.substance3d.com/ you can get 30 day trial, and you can see here, it does have support to Photoshop brushes https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/version-2019-3-188973873.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, substance is a good idea 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to get the result you talk about in this test file... even with 2020 which is the worst 3D Photoshop to use

• is it possible you are looking at boundary lines i.e, the box Photoshop makes to show you the model?
  • or I notice you still use Tga files... are you converting them to Png first or just adding them as smart objects?

boundary linesboundary linestest rendortest rendor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- If you paint a line that overlaps the face and the scalp you don't see any seam line ?

- I am not sure to understand what you mean about the boundary lines, but the seams I see are not boundary lines (there are visible in the texture).

- I first work with a png or bmp texture, then I convert it to tga (this model is a video game mod, so I convert textures to tga or dds to integrate it in the game). I didn't convert it to smart objects for 3d painting. I tried to create bmp textures and paint on it, but had the same issue.

Maybe my Photoshop configuration is bad for 3D painting ? Are there parameters to configure the projection painting ?

You say PS 2020 is bad for 3d : which version do you recommand ?

Sorry for all my questions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes when you paint on the model itself you can get this effect with select area tool

select area bugselect area bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the workaround is to paint on the texture itself

https://windowsforum.com/media/workaround2-gif.756/full

note that the camera angle is what causes the bug... in effect you are looking at the pixels side on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help. Too bad the projection painting is based on pixels.

I think I will now use Substance for 3d painting that seams more efficient that Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes [right now] Substance is better than Photoshop but be aware that Adobe owns it now so don't expect any new dev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines