Exit

PS 24.0 freezes when using curves

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Studio, M1 Max, 64 GB

OS 12.6

PS 24 freeses when using curves,  only option is to restart.

Has occured 2x after working on a file for over two hours.  Different files..

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop freezes, can you open Activity Monitor? Does it show Photoshop or any of it's processes as not responding?

While you're in Activity Monitor,  get a sample process : https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/how-to-get-a-process-sample-or-spindump.html Post a URL to the log file using CC files or dropbox, or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting here to acknowledge the same issue with the same setup. Problem occurs for me when "grabbing" a control point on the curve line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertw44482386 When Photoshop freezes, can you open Activity Monitor? Does it show Photoshop or any of it's processes as not responding?

While you're in Activity Monitor, get a sample process : https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/how-to-get-a-process-sample-or-spindump.html Post a URL to the log file using CC files or dropbox, or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried on my M1 and cannot repro with Curves Adjustment (dialog) and Curves Adjustment Layer (panel). A screen recording of your actions and a sample file you are using when this happens might be useful. Post a URL to the file using CC files or dropbox, or something similar to share the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying Jeffrey. It happened again today. Sorry I was not more specific earlier, the problem occurs occasionally when grabbing a point on a curves adjustment layer in the Properties tab. Neither the activity monitor nor the force close dialog box show Photoshop as not responding. Nor is there a spinning beach ball. It does not happen at any other time. I have had other crashes, hangs, and freezes but always with a spinning beack ball and aways with Activity monitor (eventually) showing Photoshop as frozen. This particualar hang is unique in that neither of those things happen.

Also after switching over to another active app, when I switch foucs back to photshop, the whole interface (pallets and all) reappear as normal but the menu bar still appears as the previous app. Other than Photoshop accepting no input (I have let it hang for 15 minutes on occasion when it happens near lunchtime with no change) the rest of the machine appears to function normally.

Here is a link to a smaple process taken whle the hang occured:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r9Pbko1WRZxeSBR40FMSI6zbK2N6QUvB/view?usp=share_link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also meant to add that this very particualr hang also occured occasionally in all versions of Photoshop 23.x.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this is something that will ever be addressed but if so here is another sample process. Happened again this morning:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1665a_daia9omNiaaJs41r-nFb0zCqixy/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked an engineer for input on the process sample to see if it offers any clues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening using a Wacom tablet to drive PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Intuos Pro M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a sample taken as soon as possible after I realized I had frozen, it is much "fresher" relative to the initial hang than the other two if that matters at all:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j7y-y4bK5jkGEkobmqOff9d6gYLqhoxM/view?usp=share_link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming back here to say this has become quite the daily issue and it is seriously affecting my job performance. I'm disappointed that after answering all the questions from employees and posting not one but two sample processes, it has recevied not even an acknowledgement since I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertw44482386 , I can confirm that Jeff is pursuing this with developers right now. Sorry it's taking so long; can you tell us anything about the documents you are working on (if there is a correlation)?

• Bit depth
  • color profile being used
  • is 3D content in the file
  • If you turn off the GPU, does the issue go away?

We're tracking down the system and right folks to look into the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Even though it happens 3 or 4 times a day I can’t afford to work all day with the GPU off.

Typical files for me are large files (1-7 GB) with dozens and dozens of layers each. Usually 8 bit RGB, occasionally 16 bit.

The only other thing I can tell you is anecdotal, which is I think that it happens more in the afternoon than the morning. I would thus say it has to do with releasing memory or something like that but it happens a few times a day in the afternoon so obviously restarting is not fixing it.

> Bit depth color profile being used is 3D content in the file

I’m not sure what this means?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, you're saying this happens even if you quit and restart Photoshop throughout the day?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Even restarting the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was reading a plaint text version of the reply and didn't realize you were asking 2 separate questions.

There is no 3D content in my files 
Profle is AdobeRGB 99% of the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Quitting PShop and restarting the machine several times during the day seems to now be keeping this at bay, though I can't deduce why. Just wanted engineers to have an update. Not the best workaround but pretty good. Have not had it happen this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this again with new news, it has continued to happen more than periodically but a new wrinkle today in that it happened while interacting with an Hue/Sat adjustment layer. All else is the same: complete hang, no spinning beach ball, no hidden dialog box, no input allowed, rest of the machine fucntions normally - except when returning to photoshop, the previous app's menus do not change to photoshop's, even though photoshop otherwise appears to move to the front, palletes and all.

Here is a link to a sample taken as quickly as I could take it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gl-pZXMSnflcGXBbNMZ5xjeNkh2s5XuB/view?usp=share_link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, thanks for posting the sample. I have a request which would be helpful for us to debug this. You have access to the 24.1 Beta of Photoshop - can you try that build and see if the issue occurs there? If it does, a sample from that build would be great.

Thanks again,
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam, thanks for hving a look at it. Unfortunately it's not my machine and my employer has our access to the beta blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping to say this is still an issue in 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bumping to say this is still an issue in 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines