• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CS6 on CC lags when using mouse after using tablet?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noticed that photoshop CS6 on Creative Cloud at least seems to lag when I try to move a layer around or a selection around with my mouse after I have used my tablet.  So what Im trying to say is that I can move selections around with my mouse or with my tablet and they move fine but when I do anything with my tablet and the go back to my mouse thats where I get the lagging movement.  If I then at that point try to move the selection with my tablet it doest lag around.  As I try different things with my mouse after I have used my tablet nothing else seems to lag just moving the selection with my mouse.  Any others having this issue or know what may be the cause?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still cant figure this out.  Whats going on is when I switch from my mouse to my tablet then back to my mouse Photoshop lags but it only starts to lag after I I use one function. Kind of hard to explain so ill try to give an exaple:

Open new PS doc with mouse. Grab pen tool and start to make some points at this point no lag.  Switch to tablet make some more points still no lag.  Switch back to mouse make "one" point no lag but as soon as I start my second function with mouse PS starts to lag.  Switch back to tablet no lag.  Switch back to mouse make point no lag make point two with mouse start to lag.  That process just continues.  Any help would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem at home using Photoshop CC, an Intuos 5 & Windows7, and at work using Photoshop CS 6, a Bamboo tablet, &Windows 8. Completely different specs on both machines.

Home specs:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.1.1 (14.1.1 20130910.r.414 2013/09/10:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

Physical processor count: 6

Processor speed: 3218 MHz

Built-in memory: 8190 MB

Free memory: 2122 MB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Work specs: (I'm doing this from memory since I'm not there right now)

Photoshop CS 6

Operating System: Windows8 64-bit

Physical processor count: 8

8 gigs of RAM

Intel graphics (I don't remember exactly which one but I know it has on board graphics)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem with my retail version of CS6.

I'm not exactly sure when it started happening (recent update?), but it's now a frequent occurence everytime I use Photoshop for a few minutes.  When I use my graphire4 tablet, every tool interaction is smooth as it should be, but when I switch to my mouse and use the same tools, there's a half a second lag between my button press and the tool actually moving on the canvas.  When using the brush tool with my mouse and said lag, the beginning of a drawn arc is a straight line and then the program finally picks up my arc motion and draws the rest of it normally.  I haven't had this problem before.

Reading your second post, you're correct on how the problem is reproduced, but to reiterate:

1) Open new document.

2) Draw normally with mouse.

3) Switch to tablet and draw normally.

4) Switch to mouse, draw normally on the first input.

5) Input or draw something else on the second try and it starts lagging.

Something I'm going to try is reinstalling older Wacom drivers.  Hopefully something works.

Also, could you post your specs?

My Specs:

-Photoshop CS6 x64 (13.0.1) (also happens on x32 version as well)

-Win 7 Ultimate x64

-ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB (driver 8.970.100.7000 installed with 13.1 Catalyst (Catalyst Control Centre not installed))

-6GB DDR3

-Core i7 920

-Logitech G500 Mouse (driver 8.45.35.0)

-Wacom Graphire4 Tablet (driver 5.3.0-3)

Here's a recording of me reproducing the problem:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem at work in CS6 64bit, the bug is reproducible every time from a fresh boot of Photoshop. After using my tablet then switching back to the mouse every action lags making the program unusable. Trying to draw a curved line with the mouse is the easiest way to show the problem because the input will lag and draw a sharp diagonal line.

I didn't always have the problem so I am assuming Adobe has created this bug in one of the software updates it pushed to me at work. I've even tried a completely different tablet make/model with the same issue. Getting very frustrating and cripling my workflow. I doubt this problem is hardware related because I have a completely different set up than you. I am going to uninstall Photoshop and see if the problem persists from a fresh install.

How do we report this as a bug to Adobe?

My Specs:

-Photoshop CS6 x64 all latest updates

-Win 8 Pro x64

-nVidia Geforce 680 4GB

-24GB ram

-Core xenon something or other, 16 cores = 32 threads

-Microsoft wheel mouse optical

-Wacom Bamboo Tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I found the source of the problem... well sort of...

Opening Taks Manager and killing the "Tablet Service for professional driver" process gives back the smoothness in Photoshop CC and CS6.

Not sure if it's a Photoshop bug or a Wacom driver bug or some weird Windows problem.

Using a Lenovo Y500 laptop:

- i7 3630QM

- 8GB DDR3

- nVidia GT 650M

- intel 525 SSD

- Wacom intuos5 with the latest driver

and of course all other drivers are up to date (2013 July 17th).

Can anyone confirm that killing the above process while having Photoshop opened, fixes the lag problem with the mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried killing that service, it fixes the issue, but also kills the tablet until you restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey malcolm... thanks for the confirmation and you are right, which I forgot to mention: killing the process also kills the tablet until restart. But at least we found a lead to the problem.

We need more confirmations that killing the process works for others as well. Then we can rule out other potential causes like antivirus software or some other apps that could cause this process to screw Photoshop.

Next we need to find why this process screws up Photoshop. So any help from an Adobe staff would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried killing the process and the same came true for me.  The issue with the lag on the second mouse input stopped but did also kill my tablet untill restart!  What I find odd ( other than this happens at all) is the fact that after i use my tablet I get "one" lag free mouse input, but then after every mouse input lags, not the progam itself but the drawing on screen, resizing images, moving images, drawing with pen tool, and so on!

Wacom intuos 4

i5

window 7 64 bit

nVidia GeForce GT 640

Same system used with PS 5.5 with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah same thing here, I get the one free mouse click where it works then the lag starts, I can repro this 100% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Photoshop CS6, choose to remove preferences. Rebooted, reinstalled and the bug is fixed. Strangely enough my preferences didn't get deleted either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just same issue with my Bamboo and Photoshop CC, and it's really starting to piss me off

Wanna hear some thoughts from adobe tech support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys there sure do seem to be a lot of driver issues with Wacom products.  It troubled me that I was seeing so many updates for my Intuos 4, and it still isn't right with CC.  We know about the issues with the very expensive Cintiq products as well, so are they taking illegal shortcuts with their coding.  I can just about put up with occassionally having to tap the tablet with the stlus to clear the stuck brush problem, but my goodness I'd be unhappy if I'd paid thousands of dollars for the 24 inch HD Cintiq Touch that barely worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem.

If I only use the mouse everything is normal.  If I use the pen and then switch to the mouse briefly all inputs (after the first one) from the mouse result in a long delay before the click.  Using the pen again returns to normal behavior.

Happens with hardware acceleration enabled and disabled.

I think this is likely to be an interaction with Photoshop CC and Win8 since I have a similar setup at work under Win7, CS6 and the issue is not there.

Core i7

32gb

Win 8

64 bit

GTX-670

SSD with plenty of space

Cintique 21UX

Latest OS updates

Latest Graphics and Wacom drivers (Ink disabled in wacom drivers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So an interesting note is that after some testing and looking at my CPU usage when the lag was occuring the usage of one of my cores more than doubled when the delays were happening using the mouse.  Perhaps this issue is somehow related to multi-core?  I suppose it could also just be a symptom.  Going to keep digging.

Also tried stopping various windows tablet processes but could not get the issue to go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to keep spamming this thread but I was able to isolate that the hang time is spent in the Wacom Driver.  Every time I click and drag a selection with the mouse Wacom driver time skyrockets.  The exact same action using the pen results in very little time spent in the Wacom driver.

Seems like it's pointing to a weird interaction between CC and the Wacom Drivers capturing input since this behavior can't be reproduced in windows.  Probably some sort of collision where the pen and tablet interfaces are trying to do work at the same time and stomping eachother causing a stall.

I suspect Photoshop is not correctly handling the context shift between pen and mouse in Windows 8 due to some change Win 8 has implemented with their new their Tablet support.

Would be great if someone at Adobe could repro this test case and debug it.

Cheers,

ook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would actually guess this is a bug in one of the photoshop updates, I was able to fix the problem on my Win8 machine by uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling. I haven't updated Photoshop since it's working fine now. Anyone care to test my theory, uninstall photoshop and all settings, reboot, reinstall photoshop. If it works fine, install all the updates and see if the problem comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really isn't a context switch. The OS feeds events to Photoshop, and some of them have tablet info, while others don't.  What you're describing is more of a tablet driver problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm not sure exaclty how it works under the hood but since the behavior only occurs when acting on a live photoshop CC document and not in other painting or system applications I guessed that photoshop, win8 and the wacom driver were having some sort of dissagreement about how to handle the input. Feels like some sort of collision related to "mousedown" since dragging behavior is fine.

You are right that the problem itself is happening in the Wacom driver.  Looking at system resources CPU utilization for the driver goes way up when the hitches are happening.

Thanks for the response.  Let me know if there's any more information I can provide to track down this bug.  I have an open issue in the Wacom forums as well.

Cheers,

ook

Chris Cox wrote:

There really isn't a context switch. The OS feeds events to Photoshop, and some of them have tablet info, while others don't.  What you're describing is more of a tablet driver problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that reinstalling fixes the problem.  I'd imagine as soon as you update PS, it'll resurface again.  I'd suggest we all send this problem to Wacom and see what kind of response we get.

The video I posted before is now viewable by the public again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THHT wrote:

I can confirm that reinstalling fixes the problem.  I'd imagine as soon as you update PS, it'll resurface again.  I'd suggest we all send this problem to Wacom and see what kind of response we get.

The video I posted before is now viewable by the public again.

Are you using Creative Cloud?  Can I just uninstall re-install to fix this?

- ook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I have the retail version.  I have no idea about your question.

Wacom sent me this response:

Thanks for writing in.  Sounds like the Press and Hold for Right Click in selected. Please follow the instructions listed below to remove that – once removed, please test the pen and tablet. Thanks.

That is actually a feature of Windows 7 that we can turn off:

Open your Start Menu and then the Control Panel
Open Pen and Touch
Double click on the Pen Action for ‘Press and hold’
This will bring up a new window. Uncheck the box at the top for ‘Enable press and hold for right click’
Click OK
Now, click on the Flicks tab at the top of the window
Uncheck the box at the top to ‘Use flicks to perform common actions…’
Click OK

That should take care of it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'll try updating PS tomorrow and see if the lag is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion from Wacom did not fix my problem.  I followed the instructions, updated PS, and rebooted, but the problem still exists.   It seems more likely something is conflicting in the update.  Really strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, people.

Count me in - I'm having the same annoying issue. After countless hours, I realised that the problem I was having with my mouse was actually caused by my pen.

I read ook_22_22_22's thread at Wacom's website, and I have also posted at the Intuos Pro forum.

At first I thought it was something related to PS CC + Win8, but I've tried CC+Win7 and the same thing happens. With CS5 and CS6 in Win7, everything works fine. So, although I've not tried all the different possible combinations, the common denominator for the problem seems to be Photoshop CC + Wacom tablet.

I don't know if Adobe or Wacom are to blame. I just wish that they fix it, because this nuisance is infuriating.

---

By the way, I've tried reinstalling Photoshop CC (both times, in fact), to no avail. Both times I tried just after installing, and again after updating to latest version, but things were the same as before, so for me it was not a solution 😞

If anybody found another solution, please keep posting. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problem with cs6, win7 and ituous3 tablet.

Its probably photoshop, not wacom drivers, because there isn't that problem with other painting software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines