Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not save (xyz_filename) because write access was not granted."

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

I'm running Photoshop CC 20.0.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.1, and keep getting the error "Could not save (xyz_filename) because write access was not granted."

Three variables not yet addressed in any previous discussion here:

(1) I verified with my IT people that I have full write permissions on that folder.

(2) I can Save As/Export/Save A Copy without any problem, as well as saving to the folders from Illustrator, InDesign, etc.

(3) It doesn't always give me the error (sometimes I can save with no problem).

I've exhausted my resources in solving this on my own, and looking forward to any insight from the community here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved it perfectly — thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution did not solve the issue for me. And, it only is an issue using Photoshop. Seems to be related to the 2019 update and Mojave. All other Adobe apps work as expected.

Adobe please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and i can't work on afp service.

My group lost a lot of time for this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT update photoshop to 20.0.2, I thought the update might solve this problems, but it makes thing even worse... error message and creating an additional file when you tried to save then won't let you save.

** This bug only occurs on server **

error message.jpg

addiornal files in photoshop.jpg

HELP Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem but this fix isn't helping.

When I try to save over an existing Photoshop file and ONLY when saving to my server I get the error "Could not save because write access was not granted." This error started with Mojave 10.14.2 ONLY in Photoshop (I have the newest version). I have checked to make sure permissions are correct. If I create a new file and save to the server, it saves fine. If I make a change and try to save again I get the error. I have to then save the file to my local hard drive and manually copy over to the server folder. Only then will it write over the original. I don't have this problem with any other software including Adobe.

Additionally, I have reset teh permissions in the folder and it will then work. But as soon as I close and reopen teh same file the problem comes back.

Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. When saving over the file I get this error. Like yourself I'm on the latest Mojave, and it's since updating to 2019 Photoshop. Very annoying and time consuming. All other files (including Adobe apps) are saving without any issues, just Photoshop.

We have two Macs presenting this issue, both happened when we updated to 2019.

Does anyone have any fix options? The preview in finder work around doesn't have any effect in this case, not does not saving a preview in the File Handling preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as well. Annoying, time wasting and extremely inconvenient! Only happens in Photoshop 20.0.2. All other Adobe apps seem to have no issue with saving to server. I'm running Mojave 10.14.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on mine as well. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another frustrated user here - our whole studio gets this when trying to save to our server. Have to 'Save As' a copy.

Is it Mojave or the latest Photoshop? All other Adobe software is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection trick unfortunately does not work on our end. Myself and several of my colleagues have this issue, with no fix in sight (we have to save to desktop then move files to our server. Not ideal for "top of the line" software. It's also appears to be random with no clear cause (It doesn't happen everytime).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Mojave (10.14.1, 10.14.2, 10.14.3) and Photoshop CC 2019 on three different iMacs (Late 2013, Mid 2017).

Spend more than 20h on testing and troubleshooting....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here ..... using Mojave 10.14.3 ... it starts when i update to Mojave... works fine before.
I have the lastest Photoshop update to the moment, v20.0.4... but i really believe that the error is due to Mojave OS ... something about the finder preview of the psd files ...

.... should never have updated this MAC.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, haven't been able to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing with a Mac Server running MacOS 10.13 sharing with SMB, a 2018 MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.14 and Photoshop 20.0.4.

In my testing I have found that I can save PSD files if I have all Finder Windows closed before starting up Photoshop and I open the PSD file through the Photoshop file browser. If I open a Finder window while PS is open I get the can't save error. This method works most of the time. I have not determined what the issue is when it does not, but will post an update if I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, no response from Adobe.  I talked to their support and got nothing.  I mentioned this forum and that got me no where.  Adobe, hello?  Any fix for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this for an old PS issue and this seems to have resolved my issue so far.  Still testing but it has been working so far:

On your upper menu bar, click Photoshop, then Preferences, and finally File Handling.  Under File Saving Options, in the drop-down box to the right of Image Previews, click on Never Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. The file still needs to be unselected in the finder (without the preview) than it saves again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, it still socks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having the "access was not granted" error.

This fixed the problem for me

Go into the Photoshop preferences, go to File Handling and uncheck (turn off) Save in Background.

Hopefully this will fix your access was not granted error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same annoying problem.  The voted correct answer doesn't help me because I use Bridge, not Finder.

mys44085811 , If i turn off 'save in background', then I will lose the automatically saving bit, right?>?

RNBJOSH  does this refer to the thumbnail image of the file in Bridge and Finder?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you lose that save functionality.  This is just what I found to help a user be able to save again.  We only saw the issue in PS, so that's all I can speak to.  There is clearly an issue with PS and Mojave that Adobe needs to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem... will not save over an existing file on the server. Running PSD CC 2019 (20.0.4) - on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5

This is very annoying and ridiculous. I've tried to reset the Preferences File Handling & the clicking off the file... nothing works. Adobe, Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines