• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"target document has a different depth than source document." help?

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as of yesterday i have been recieveing an alert when i try to move a jpeg into a new photoshop doc stating that my target document has a different depth than my source document and will (which it definiately does) result in lower than expected quality. i have no idea how to fix this. please help.

Photoshop specs: CS6; RGB; 16 bit; Res 300 pixels/inches; size: letter; (advanced setting - don't know what these are) color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1; Pixel aspect ratio: square pixels

don't know if i accidentally messed with something i shouldn't have or what. any help is appreciated. thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just warning you that quality might be reduced because you are working with documents at different depths.

There is nothing to fix - just something you need to know about, so it is warning you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's GOT to be something to fix. I've been getting that message all night -- when I say "yes" and then try to SAVE the document, it won't give me the option to "save for web."

I started completely from scratch, and still got the error window, and it still wouldn't let me "save for web."

So -- let's begin again -- what needs to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is to match the color and bit/channel by clicking on Image>Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Such a straight forward response that helped fast 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you are right, and problem solved thank you so much....for straight answer.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2024 Mar 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you from yours truly as well! I had forgotten that the image I was trying to move into a new document was in 16 bit - same color space - but the new doc was 8 bit and the one being imported was 16 bit - dah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to find a solution on this issue? I'm having the same problem. Thx. ~ Cyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message is just a warning - there is nothing to fix because it is not an error.

The fact that you can't save for web probably means your color mode is not RGB, or the depth of your image is not 8 bits/channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I checked that. The color mode was, indeed, set to RGB. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... Will do so in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means that one of your files was created with higher resolution than the other and its giving you a warning that you might lose data. So look at your image size were you can see your resolution and you will see what file was created with different resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I had exact same problem.  Thanks to this thread, I know now what Adobe meant by depth. ie BIT

Realised source is 16 bit and my target is 8 bit.

How do I change the source back to 8 bit?

Thanks guys,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah its ok, I found out how to change the source.

Image/Mode then select 16 bit or 8 bits/channel

So should all images be 8 bit or 16 bit?

Something must have changed accidently somewhere, as I have never had this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the problem is w the depth channel...

if the new doc is 16 bits, the image your pasting must be 16 bits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading and saving files from the Web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It because one is set to 8 bit and the other either 16 or 32 I got the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem, changed the image depth on the 8 bit image to 16 bit via Zukisox's method, then put the newly 16 bit image into the other 16 bit file.  Worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
It's because the depth of the document is different from something which you are trying to import in it.
In simple language, you have to match the colour mode bit,  Try changing the setting to lower and higher until you don't get this warning. I hope this will help you.

resham5E5C_0-1612083015918.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work on mine...
wonder where is the problem now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, there is no "problem". This is just information to you, the user, and you need to decide whether to act on this information or not.

If you don't know what bit depth is, look it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what the message is telling you. 8 bit and 16 bits are "depth". So if your depth is indeed not the same, a pro needs to know this because of a loss of quality. There are no 16 bit JPEGs, so if you try to bring a JPEG into a 16 bit image you can expect a warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having simular issues I for years have cut out images at 3300 x 5100 pixels and moved them to a smaller document 1080x1080 to create instagram uploads. Now the quality to when I zoom in is so poor that I must have changed something by accident and I can figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines