• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rasterizing a smart object inside a frame - Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to rasterize a smart object inside of a frame to edit it. I can't find a way to do that in the newest version of photoshop. Only option is to edit the smart object in a seperate window which is a bit time consuming. Any ideas?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Yes I get a popup stating it can not be done without you merging the group. 

image.png

The group would be the frame mask and layers pixels transformed by the layers associated layer transform.  Frame layer content are Smart Objects and all smart objects have an associated layer transform. Photoshop would need to  apply the Frame mask to the layer transformed pixels and make the results the merged raster layer. You would no longer have a frame layer. You would just have a pixel layer

Adobe Frame layer a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

As you want to rasterize a smart object in a frame, could you please have a look at this article and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/frames-objects.html#paste_an_object_into_a_frame

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you referring them to indesign article???

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This article didn't help at all, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are referring to the smart object in a frame created by the buggy Adobe Frame tool.  Its still a smart object layer with a strange Frame mask. You should be able to double click on the layers  content thumbnail in the layers palette it's not in the normal left   position the strange frame mask is there. Also check the Properties panel you may be able to edit the content there or from the Layer menu there is no need to rasterize it to edit it.

image.png

This one is a RAW smart object so ite will edit in ACR if the object  is a vector object it will edit ine Illastrator of rhe olject  is a layers image it will edit ine Photoshop.  

image.png

Why do you want to rasterize it. Is not an option from the layer palette fot that layers Edit Content is.

image.png

Even in CC 2019 you could not rasterize a framed Smart object rasterize was grayed out. You had to remove the frame then Rasterize Smart object was possible. Adobe frames only frames smart object. Adobe Frame tool uses place  and place has problems that is why the Frame tool has problems.  I removed the Frams tool  from my Tool bar  Photoshop never had a problem framing images the frame tools was not needed. The implementation of the frame tool is floored to boot.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJMack, 

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I installed the previous version to show you that I could actually rasterize a smart object inside a frame.

I did that very simply, when clicking on a smart object with the brush tool - a dialog box showed up prompting me to rasterize. I just clicked ok and there you go. Frame tool really helps me and speeds up the process when making digital albums. I don't want to use clipping masks anymore.

1.jpg2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my widows 10 with Photoshop CC 2019 my screen capture shows that Rasterize layer is grayed out rasterize all layers is not. However if I click on Layer>Rasterize>All Layers Photoshop does nothing. Layers remain as they were. Pototshop Frame layers content are smart objects.  You CC 2019 has a problem if it can convert a frame layer conten to a raster image. Photoshop is not bug free.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasterize layer is grayed out on my Windows 10, Photoshop v 20.0.7 version as well. But by clicking with the brush tool on the smart object the dialog prompt box always appears. Can you please try clicking with the brush tool inside a smart object? Do you have the same bug? Also, the option "Rasterize - all layers" would rasterize only the smart objects without frames, if there were any.

Annotation 2019-11-19 003911.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the paint brush tool active if I move the cursor into the layers palette the cursor changes to a pointing finger. If I click on the frame layer layer's content thumbnail Photoshop  target that layer. If I then move the cursor over the image the cursor turns to the not allow cursor. My CC 2019 level is 20.0.6 the 20.0.7 was just Mac fixes. Perhapse the 20.0.7 update broke your CC 2019 on windows or mac..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get the not allow cursor. But did you try to actually click with the "not allow" cursor on the SmOb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I get a popup stating it can not be done without you merging the group. 

image.png

The group would be the frame mask and layers pixels transformed by the layers associated layer transform.  Frame layer content are Smart Objects and all smart objects have an associated layer transform. Photoshop would need to  apply the Frame mask to the layer transformed pixels and make the results the merged raster layer. You would no longer have a frame layer. You would just have a pixel layer

Adobe Frame layer are not well implemented. I wrote I removed the Frame tool from my tool bar I also disabled it shortcut.  I have never had a problem framing images layers.  Adobe does.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJMack for your time.

My conclusion is that I really loved that bug, having Frames with rasterized layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get a dialog like you are painting a smart object that does not have a Frame Mask. I do not get that dialog. Perhaps update 20.0.7  introduced a new bug. I did not installed it for Adobe stated it contained fixes for the latest mac OS.  So I did not install it.  In case it also had new bugs.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually had this bug looong before the 20.0.7 update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines