• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Grid From Photo Or Drawing

Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a graphite drawing on paper using a grid that you drew on the same paper, how can you remove the grid in Photoshop and refill the gaps from where the grid was at? In general, how can you remove a grid embedded in a scanned image of a drawing or photo in Photoshop? And how do you refill the gaps or missing details after the removal of the grid? Also, what if the grid is very light, very dark or mixed colors? And what if the grid lines are very thin?Please show visual examples of your solutions. Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It would help if you could post the image in question in order for someone to be able to advise you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I locked the other thread.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I have no actual examples. Just something I've been thinking about. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. If the current suggestions do not seem to help. Even a mock up to show us will get you to a direct solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how regular the grid actually is Paths or Patterns could be the basis for relatively good selections and, depending on the image, Content-Aware Fill might suffice to address the lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

As Greg mentions the more detail you can give us the better. Can you provide screeshots of what you are working with?

Without knowing more these videos may help:

One with Alpha Channels:

Insanely Difficult Selections MADE EASY with Alpha Channels in Photoshop - YouTube

Color range selection videos if that is an option for you:

https://youtu.be/n9fwiNyDHLI?t=79

https://youtu.be/8nk1KkLn3CM?t=196

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The examples I am talking about are unfinished works not ready to be shown. I have no examples right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use the Heal Brush. Of course if you have a lot of grid lines, this may take some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your image, you can try using levels to crank up the contrast making the backround - the paper pure white and the lines as close to pure black as you can get them. You can try using the posterize or threshold adjustments layers to isolate the lines. You can try using the spot healing brush. Look in the channels to see if they stand out in one and make a selection that way. Without seeing what you are trying to do, it's all going to be a shot in the dark.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unmesh Dinda has some interesting techniques to select and remove a fence from in front of a subject, then use Content-Aware Fill to fill in the thin grid left behind by the removed fence. Some of the techniques shown in his video might help with a paper grid. It should be easier with a grid than a fence, because the fence wires weave and wrap which requires manual painting, while a paper grid is just easy straight lines. It should go rather quickly to draw the grid of perfectly straight lines using the Line or Pen tool, then convert that into a selection for Content-Aware Fill. (Edit: I like c.pfaffenbichler’s suggestion of using Edit > Define Pattern to make a grid pattern as the basis for the selection!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your drawing were in grey graphite, and your grid were a light primary color like cyan or yellow, or with old school graph paper, the grid would drop out of the complementary color channel(s), but the grey drawing would remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The grid was drawn using the same #2 grey graphite pencil as the actual drawings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, despite having been asked to post the image/s in question, you prefer to talk about them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You're missing out on what I said before. The drawings are all unfinished and I am not ready to show anything yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gregn29157636 wrote:

No. You're missing out on what I said before. The drawings are all unfinished and I am not ready to show anything yet. 

Can you start a new drawing with enough that we can see what you are talking about? Then we won't have to guess and can better assist you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I simply can't do this because I don't have the time. I have a job plus my own personal projects. Nobody has to guess anything. It's just drawings drawn on paper with #2 pencil on a grid that's also drawn with the same #2 pencil. The drawing and grid are on the same paper. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg!

There are a lot of great recommendations to fix your issue here. You should try them as one will most likely work. As @c.pfaffenbichler mentions. If you only want the one answer to your orignal question, we will require you to show us something visually. We need to see exactly what you are working with so we can give you an exact answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gregn29157636 wrote:

You posted: »The grid was drawn using the same #2 grey graphite pencil as the actual drawings.«

Sounds to me like you specifically stated that the grid was drawn and that drawing aside from the grid existed. 

So please post the image/s in question if you want to talk seriously about the image editing task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said before, I do not want to upload photos of my unfinished personal work. And I can't make any new drawings to illustrate what I am talking about because I don't have the time. I have a job and personal projects with deadlines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people are trying to help and you're being very difficult. You don't have to show the whole drawing, just take a photo and crop a section and post here. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, if you're doing this type of work, you should be making your grid with a non reproducing blue pencil. Super easy to remove. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chuck Uebele wrote:

...you should be making your grid with a non reproducing blue pencil. Super easy to remove. 

I still have one of my non-photo blue pencils from pre-computer days, Chuck. Back then we didn't have to remove the markings when we took it to the print shop.

C606BB66-E741-4047-A60F-040CD2F324DE.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I used to do a lot of layups and camera work, using that pencil. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines