Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Metadata from all images

Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to remove metadata from my images.

Trying to make sure my cllients do not have access to my shooting details.  IE: shutter speed, F stop etc.

I do not want to remove metadata individually as I have 100's of images to work with.

Is there a one click method to doing this or a way to do it through batch process?

It was mentioned on this forum that there's a 3rd party software but it's hard to believe that this cant be easily done in Photoshop.

I'm running CS 4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Try saving it as a JPG instead of a GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best third party software is ExifTool

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

If you wanted to do this in Photoshop you could use Picture Processor to batch save the pictures as Save for Web selecting No Metadata

http://www.scriptsrus.talktalk.net/PP.htm

There are other methods that could be used, you can create new JPGs from the cache in Bridge.

http://www.scriptsrus.talktalk.net/BridgeProcessor.htm  N.B this one is Windows Only!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the kind of thing you'd expect to be able to do with the Image Processor script, now that you mention it, though I don't see any obvious way.

You might petition Russell Brown to add a checkbox into his Image Processor Pro add-on script.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

You might petition Russell Brown to add a checkbox into his Image Processor Pro add-on script.

-Noel

His Image Processor Pro script will optionally remove camera shooting details metadata for save to jpeg file type.  Put a check in "Save for Web."  Document title, author and copyright info, if present, are retained in the jpeg file it creates. (N.B.  Copyright info may be set in a camera and written to camera-produced image files in some camera models.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Processor Pro is Photoshop CS5 or better and the OP only has CS4 that is why I suggested my Picture Processor as that fully support Save for Web metadata options and quality options  (Image Processor Pro does not). Picture Processor will work with Photoshop CS3 or better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web does it but has a maximum image size.  Not sure what it is, but I just tried it on a 3000 pixel wide image OK.

save for web.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for your comments,

Here's my situation and bear in mind I'm using CS4:

I would like to approach this by using file-"save for web and Devices"

This was my fist step and here is what pops up:

Picture 2.png

I click yes, though not sure if I should proceed at this point..

Any thoughts on this?

Then the page below pops up in which I apply "none" for Metadata.

Picture 3.png

I click save and then check the image size.

The metadata is gone (excellent!)

The problem now is that the PPI has defaulted to 72 PPI, from it's original size of 300 PPI (see image below).

Picture 4.png

I then manually check and uncheck choices on the bottom left then reset the PPI to 300.

The width/height/pixel dementions fell into place as they should.

Picture 5.png

I dont want to manually make this adjustment on each image..

How can I get this program to leave the images at the above ratio or...is there another way to approach this through photoshop CS4?

(I'd prefer not to use Exif Tool.)

Also, and extreamly important to me, I want to be sure that going through "save image for web" does not in any way effect the quality of the photo.

As far as I can tell, it does not but I'm far from an expert. I'd like to have that confimed before I proceed.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Save for Web the PPI information will be removed if you select "None" for the metadata (so defaults to 72PPI) if you use "All" or  "All Except Camera Info" the PPI will be retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did that but the image is still defaulted to 72PPI.

I would like it to remain at 300 PPI after metadata removal which is what my client would like the image set at.

Picture 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving it as a JPG instead of a GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BINGO!!

That's it.

I did it for one image and now I'm going to do an action in order to automate the process.

Will let you know if it works.

Much thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The action works.

Thanks again..a huge problem solved.

Before i go ahead with this action/batch processing, do you know if applying save to web degrades the photo in any way?

I assume not because the image now has the same dementions as before using save for web but I would very much like to confirm this.

I don't want to effect the images in any way other then removing metadata.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are set at JPG, Quality 100, and Optimized, I'd say you were OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the image out of Photoshop for the web.  Canon, Sony, Nikon, should let you turn off exif in the menu, just like GPS....I don't need or want it on all the time.  Anyone agree?  They must know our settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera makers must know the shutter speed, f stop, focal length, ISO, time of day picture was taken, latitude and longitude coordinates of where we took the picture, and then send it to the iclouds.  Seriously, if exporting to the web degraded your photo, it would be easy find out in photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best method I found and can do it in batch:

- Download Exiftool at https://exiftool.org/

- Extract the tool and rename "exiftool(-k).exe" to "exiftool(-all=).exe"

- Drag your files and drop onto this program icon

WARNING: by doing this will remove all metadata from these images, but it will remove the Metadata Junks for sure.

Attached is the GIF video of how I do this:

using exiftool2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines