• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Requiring' Mac OS 13+ is not a good move

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an early Macbook Pro 13" (A1502) on Monterey. Today I update to latest Photoshop Beta 25.0 and Lightroom Classic 15.2 release/Camera Raw 15/5 and get the message:

Mac OS X version 13.4.0 or later is recommended for maximum performance and correct operation of Adobe Photoshop 2024. An earlier version of Mac OS X was detected.

What kind of (lack of) support is this? I and others are being forced to cancel our subscriptions if Adobe cannot maintain support for perfectly fine and fast legacy machines. Please stop resorting to anti-consumer practices (radical obsolesence) for their financial benefit.

There are other systems out there, and the only thing keeping me (and others) loyal is our stubborness to confront the learning curve of a new environment.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta was working just fine on Monterey and now when I open it, the app give me the warning and has some wonky behaviors. I have a computer that can update, but not the time in my work day to hassle with it. Sick of so much app maintenance on all fronts. Whenever I update an app or the OS, I never know what features I'm going to lose or bugs I'm going to have to live with afterward. Just want to do my actual work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I nearly had a heart attack when 2023 wouldn't load and I saw that message. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Mac OS X version 13.4.0 or later is recommended...

not required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jay5E15 its normal for newer software to require newer operating systems. As @Earth Oliver pointed out, this is currently recommended, not required. That being said - You are in control of your destiny when it comes to how you manage your software and have choices:

If you choose not to or cannot upgrade your OS, your best option is to remain on the last stable version of an application that was fully supported on that version of OS. Turn off auto updates, etc. to maintain integrity.

If you wish to utilize newer features like AI and enhanced tools, then you can look into meeting recommended/required OS and hardware settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, aren't you the perfect one. We all know this. There are also many of us who do not have the resources to buy a new mac every year, yet need to keep up with design standards.

[Abuse Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No condension meant - sorry you took it that way. My point is if you don't have to resources to buy a new Mac, you aren't forced to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are Adobe saying that the only thing I'm missing out on is these AI tools? If so I can't say I'm bothered as it's something I can live without. I'm not keen on AI anyway as it will ultimately put millions of people out of work. Then those people won't be able to afford new machines, making the whole exercise sef-defeating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happen to agree regarding AI - not because it will put people out of work, which I don't believe it will, but because it encourages laziness and sloppy work. That's the antithesis to genuine creativity.

But staying up to date isn't about available tools. It's about staying compatible with your whole environment, everythinginternally and externally. So yes, you are essentially forced to upgrade - but singling out one single application (e.g. Photoshop) in this big picture is simply naive and narrow-minded. It's the whole thing. If you want to play the game, you need up to date hardware, up to date operating system, and up to date applications.

It's all part of a big drive to stay current and it's all connected.

I don't like this, but I have to deal with it. It seems wasteful and not very sustainable to throw away fully functional hardware at regular intervals. But don't think it's Photoshop. It's the whole industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Choose to not upgrade your OS". Choose? If someone has a dated OS one is blocking some update, this is not a matter of choice.

You said we're not forced to upgrade the computer meaning there's no one with a g.u.n. on your head but they're forcing you, in fact, to buy a new machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is forcing anything. Freeze your system, don't make any changes, use it until it dies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to get which points you didn't get. Message? Market? Reality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it didn't prohibit the install, you are safe for now. MacOS 11 and 12 are still the minimum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now they're asking MacOs 12 or later for Premiere/AE. Even if you have a good old computer. Apple limit your updating and then Adobe hangs their updating to newer OSs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Daniel25520793gavh shouting into the void isn't going to change reality. There is a cost with our industry and software/hardware upkeep is one of them.

HOWEVER as @Lumigraphics pointed out - you do have a choice and you are in control. If you cannot (due to hardware, budget, philosophical, etc.) or wish not to upgrade your OS, you can remain on that OS until it fails and continue to use the current compatible software builds. No one is going to "outmode" the OS or software installed.

However, if you wish to utilize newer features in software then yes, you will need to upgrade your OS and if your Mac cannot handle the update, you would have to purchase a new Mac that is compatible.

This is the reality we live in but its not an "upgrade or die" situation - I have an older Mac that cannot accept Monterey 10.15 either but I can still run circles around most with that older setup than others can with a new Mac Studio and current builds. You use what you have when you need to and make the best of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the discussion is about what is really needed or it's a forced upgrading. We can take Apple as an example with their "planned obsoloescence", that is more forced than actually planned. In this case, the word "planned" is a euphemism.

The same when you say that "I have a choice". I have no choice. If I can't upgrade my computer, I must go on with outdated versions of Abode. And if I must to do so, it's not a choice. A "Wish" (wish to) is not what I'd call choice.

So, I understand perfectly, just the discussion is another thing. There's no need of explainaing about "industry costs". At no time I was detached from reality, on the contrary.

I thank you, Void, for answering me. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with personal computing in high school, in the late 1970's. There has been a LOT of "forced upgrading" since then. Could I still manage with an Apple IIe and 48k of memory? You tell me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right there with you! #angry & ready to DUMP ADOBE. I am not a billionaire, I am a freelance designer who cannot afford a new computer every time ADOBE makes a change. My iPad is already aging out & ADOBE hasn't even added new features there, and my laptop is now rendered useless. All for a monthly fee. I AM SO SICK OF THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in exactly the same position. My mac is very quick and adequate for my needs. I can't possibly afford a new one.  Adobe seem to be doing many deeply unpopular things lately. I'm just waiting for the grim message of death: "this software requires a later version etc" which I reckon is just around the corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So don't upgrade your software beyond what your OS can support   It's that simple. And it's not [fill in software company here] fault. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nasty unhelpful and rude man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's the truth in a non-sugar-coated manner. I have older computers too (including a MacBookPro and an iMac). The iMac is running an older version of ProTools, so I have to be careful not to upgrade the OS or I'll be forced to update the software (and add RAM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a case of updating the OS. Ventura only works on the new Mxxx macs, which cost a hell of a lot of money. They haven't even made an imac 27" model available yet (correct me if I'm wrong), and are still selling Intel machines. So not only is this a bit premature, but it looks like once again we'll be throwing perfectly servicable equipment in on the scrapheap. So much for saving the environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One doesn't have to throw away any useful equipment, one just has to realize that one can't always run the latest version of the software. 

One has to balance the need for the latest and greatest features verus the cost of a new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have personally overseen thousands of pounds worth of perfectly serviceable equipment being thrown in a skip, several times in fact. Maybe you don't remember Illustrator 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines