Ruler tool actual real size in real life

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i always create a4 size canvas and I just noticed that when I use ruler tool to measure photo or want actual size of photo in real life to get print it's doesn't giving me the same correct size what I actually measured why ? And how to solve

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022
One step: Choose View > Actual Size. This is a recently added command that is intended to make the rulers match print size, by correcting for the detected resolution of your display. If Actual Size does not make the on-screen rulers match a real ruler, your operating system or graphics hardware may be older. In that case, the older View > Print Size command still works, but requires those extra steps to set up.

Translate

Translate
"If Actual Size does not make the on-screen rulers match a real ruler, your operating system or graphics hardware may be older" There can be a mismatch in current systems also. I use Windows 10 (v21H2), an NVidia RTX3090, and two Eizo CS2731 monitors connected via Dataport for 10 bit/channel working. View > Actual size - slightly, but consistently, undersizes the rulers. View > Print Size with Preferences >Units and Rulers >Screen Resolution set to 109 ppi is accurate Dave

Translate

Translate
Yes, that does the trick on my 10 y.o. Mac.  So that will be Plan A. I'll keep the older instructions as Plan B. Thanks for chipping in, Dave. I guess it all varies depending on configuration.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is done using the  View > Print Size command. You have to set it up first.

Go to Photoshop Preferences > Units & Rulers

There you enter your Screen Resolution in Pixels/Inch or Pixels/Centimeter

I use a ruler to find the physical horizontal screen size of my monitor:  11.25 inches in my case.

Then I find the the monitor Display Resolution setting in pixels: 1280 px Horizontal x 800 px Vertical from MacOS System Preferences:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 2.25.21 PM.png

So  1280/11.25 = 113.7  Since pixels are whole units, I round it to 114 ppi and enter it here:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 1.57.20 PM.png

Click OK, and your onscreen rulers (Cmd R) and A4 document should match a physical ruler when using View > Print Size.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One step: Choose View > Actual Size.

This is a recently added command that is intended to make the rulers match print size, by correcting for the detected resolution of your display.

If Actual Size does not make the on-screen rulers match a real ruler, your operating system or graphics hardware may be older. In that case, the older View > Print Size command still works, but requires those extra steps to set up.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If Actual Size does not make the on-screen rulers match a real ruler, your operating system or graphics hardware may be older"

There can be a mismatch in current systems also. I use Windows 10 (v21H2), an NVidia RTX3090, and two Eizo CS2731 monitors connected via Dataport for 10 bit/channel working.

View > Actual size - slightly, but consistently, undersizes the rulers.

View > Print Size with Preferences >Units and Rulers >Screen Resolution set to 109 ppi is accurate

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that does the trick on my 10 y.o. Mac.  So that will be Plan A. I'll keep the older instructions as Plan B.

Thanks for chipping in, Dave. I guess it all varies depending on configuration.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines