• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as copy - can't turn off

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched the forum and seen several discussions on this topic but none that helps me.

I edit all my website images in Photoshop CC 2017 and save these images in case I need to re-edit them later. I then resize and convert them to JPGs with the same name as the original but with a .jpg extension.

Regardless whether I do this with a "Save As" or "Automate->Batch", the "save as a copy" selection is grayed out and can't be changed. I end up with the files I want but with the word "copy" in the filename. I can't find any way to turn this action off. I have read all the other topics talking about levels, layers and the such but that is immaterial to me. I have the original PSD file and the resultant correct JPG file. The only thing that is wrong is that stupid word "copy" in the file name. I have found nothing in Preferences that allows this to be turned off.

I have to manually remove the work "copy" from every file name. Sometimes I do hundreds of files at a time and end up using a batch script to rename all the files.

I'm considering buying a third party conversion utility that does the conversion without word "copy" in the filename.

Is there anyway to turn off this action?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Just so were on the same page, your doing a Flatten Image and not Merge Layers before saving as a JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does this crazy bug doesn't have a solution? i am trying to save a jpg from a 8bit, flatten files   and all are "files must have a copy"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To determine if layers is the issue:.

If your Layer panel looks like this, Layer 0 or any other name apart from Background, then the file really has layer information, which is not supported in the jpeg file format specification. So it has to be a copy.

Layer0.png

If it looks like this, with Background in italics, you have a genuinely flat file, and it has to be something else.

Background.png

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a "bug". It is much more likely that some other property in your file is not supported in the jpeg file format specification. That's a long list, as the jpeg format basically supports nothing at all except a flat 8 bit array of pixels, no extras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking File > Export > as Jpeg would be an alternative. That function also eliminates the 8192 pixel cap that was in Save for Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. This is exactly why Export (and Save For Web) is there in the first place. To save out a jpeg at all, you have to branch out a copy from the original file, for the reason I've repeated time and again in these threads: the jpeg specification allows virtually nothing of what you normally and routinely do to a file in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, this so-called "feature" only interrupts my workflow. I'm finding it easier to rename the file deleting the "copy" behind it and dumping the other one manually, which is frankly ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what's getting lost in this discussion is that Photoshop has changed the way it saves jpgs. Previous versions would simply overwrite the original jpg. It's frustrating that they've now made it more difficult to do what used to be simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree here. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop never used to do this... 

Now, when I save a jpeg that has already been saved as before, and I want to overwrite it, I call it the same name (get rid of the word 'copy' at the end of it and it STILL adds copy to the end, and doesn't overwrite the previous file.

Anyone know why, in 2020 this is the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to the latest 2020 PS, and like many other long time photoshop users (for me since v3), find this annoying. The shortcut to the Export as... also needs an extra finger to use LOL. 😂 

Also noticed the scaling of objects does not require the use of the shift key, like in previous versions.

Oh well, it's for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Preferences > General, checkmark "Use Legacy Free Transform" if you prefer the old school Shift-key way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an easy fix, friends! 🙂

Pop into PREFERENCES (under the top menu "Photoshop" to the left of "File"... check the File Handling option next.

In the top box you'll see File Saving Options.

Under "Append File Extension" toggle to "Ask When Saving."

Boom, done. 🙂 Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That doesn't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo ich habe das gleiche Problem mit dem neuen Update auf 22.04, es ist so nervend wenn ich viel Dateien nicht mehr als das Original JPG überschreiben kann und dann muß man auch noch jedesmal die Endung ( Kopie ) extra löschen. Das ist in meinen Augen keine Erleichterung sondern erschwert die ganze Sache nur erheblich, wenn man viele JPG Dateien bearbeiten muß. Daher bitte eine Fuktion einfügen, das dieses Erschwerniß biite abgeschaltet werden kann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What honestly confuses me, is that with all files prior to this happening i was able to save in any way. and now it irritates me that is am forced to save as copy of flatten an image. while the only thing i want are my settings back like they used to. Is there no way it can just be set back i can't believe you're forced to flatten te image, i have never had to before. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This tip worked for our teams graphic designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjt59EdH8os

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines