Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Save As does not save in original folder

Engaged ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those "has this ALWAYS been this way" questions.

Photoshop 22.5 on a PC.

In the Preferences I have the following file handling settings:

DavePinMinn_0-1630714630758.png

I open an image from Lightroom, fiddle with it, hit Save As, and it wants to save the output in some place that has NOTHING to do with where the image was when it got to Photoshop...

Yes, I've played with the prefs.  Didn't seem to matter.  Yes, I've updated Photoshop.  Didn't matter.  Yes, I've rebooted the system.  Didn't matter.

Is there a preference I need to change? 

Am I crazy or before this NEW, screwy "Save As" and "legacy Save As" change something?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as should save the file into the folder set in the save as dialog it is at the top of the dialog.  If the current document being saves is not a new document I think that should default and be set to the current documents backing file Path.  If it is a new document I believe Photoshop will default the Path to be the folder you save into the last time you used Save As.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to have to try to reproduce what I'm doing.

I have an image in folder "A".  I open it in Lightroom.  I do an Edit In and send it to Photoshop.  Make changes in PS and if I do a Save As it goes back to the original folder "A" fine.  But recently, I've had a number of times when I did a Save As, didn't look at where PS was going to put the file 'cause it's always put it in the folder it came from, and Photoshop didn't.  I'd get back to Lightroom and realize the new file hadn't shown up, and have to go back into Photoshop, where the file was still sitting, to see where it put the file and move it in Lightroom. 

I'll have to try to reproduce it, but it happened this afternoon so hopefully it'll be fairly simple.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines