• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save dialogue - auto-highlighting file extension

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save something from Photoshop, the 'save as' box used to highlight the name, but leave the file extension un-highlighted, like this...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.23.47.png

This was particulalry useful when saving out multiple images from one PSD as you could just tap the <right> arrow key and start typing, eg adding '01' to the file name as below...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.24.07.png

But now, Photoshop auto highlights the whole filename and extension, meaning you have to use your mouse to click into the filename (before the full stop) to type your filename additions...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.23.38.png

It might seem like a small thing, but when saving multiple files from one PSD (ie. saving out JPEGs for an animation or storyboatd) it used to be really quick and now is not.

Can this be changed/fixed/addresed??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep... but no solution there either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody mentioned this on the last page

"I actually found my solution to this by accident in Photoshop's own preferences. It's in file handling > append file extension. You should select never. Hope this works out for all of you going through this annoyance."

Although it didn't resolve the issue for others, might be worth a try if you haven't tried it already

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah saw that. Tried it. It didn’t work 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be going on for a good while and from what I can see it only affects people with Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just type the file name you want. Save as will add the extension if you do not, For you have chosen the file type in the save as field or Photoshop use the existing file type to pre populate that field for you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except it doesn't.

I tried/assumed that only to find I could not open the images I'd exported (into After Effects, for exasmple), the reason being they'd saved wtihout file extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried doing it in Windows 21.2.2 with a new document that has never been saved the document name does not even have an extension.  When  I use  Save as in Windows PS 21.2.2 and create an new directory so there will nor files in the folder, When I set the File name to xyz no extension the file saved into the new folder has an extension Photoshop defaulted to. Are you a Mac user????

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Catalina 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, are you out there? When will this be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe chat to contact Adobe or use their feedback site this is a user site

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until this is fixed by Adobe, a script is the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, pls fix Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did it change when you upgraded the version of Photoshop, or when you installed Catalina?

Catalina made and mandated many Save-related changes that broke the previous behaviors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue persists.

I'm running Big Sur (11.6) and the latest CC suite (Photoshop 23.0.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, AFAIK, the changes mandated by Catalina, continued in Monterey and Big Sur...

According to this thread, the solution is to write a new name, omit the extension, it should be automatically added: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/saving-file-extension-issue-in-photos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just type in the name and file extension as you want it saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not remotely helpful.

Read the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the OP. How fast can you type? I just typed that just as quick as if I was just adding a few characters. Some of us have been using keyboards a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not helping. Please move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's the workaround. You can accept it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was happy to 'accept it' I wouldnt be bothering to find a solution to fix the issue.

So, again, you're not helping. Please move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how these forums work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* sigh *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines