• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web Disabled in Photoshop CC: Solution Found

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem with the Save for Web feature being disabled and just wanted to share the solution that I found. First, to describe the problem: Save for Web was grayed out and nothing I tried could get it back. It wasn't a problem with the image color mode, bit depth or anything like that. Rebooting my Windows 7 PC did not help. Deleting my preferences did not help. Ultimately, what I had to do was uninstall/reinstall Photoshop CC. Now, it's working fine again.

David Salahi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to tell anyone to uninstall/re-install,but that is one definitely good reason. I'll make note of this. Thanks for letting us know.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. My Photoshop CC 64-bit has permanently grayed out Save For Web. It also cannot open PNG files or save PNG files using the Save As dialog box.

As a short-term solution, I'm using the 32-bit Photoshop CC, and this works fine.

Eventually I'll get around to uninstalling and reinstalling. I would like to know *why* this happened to my 64-bit Photoshop CC, and what I can do in the future to prevent this from happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder whether you have copied plug-ins from an older version of Photoshop into the plug-ins folder of your current install...

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn't do anything with the plugins folder. It was just a regular Creative Cloud install. I'm primarily an InDesign user, so I have no special Photoshop plugins installed. Over the last year I've upgraded my Adobe applications from CS5 to CS6 and finally to CC. I've deleted the old version as I've upgraded. Perhaps something went wrong during the upgrading and deleting of old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly there has been a low level of reports here that imply something may have gone wrong during the download.  I've always thought that the download ought to be carefully protected by hash and/or CRC checks; perhaps something is not.

Generally speaking, it's agreed that removing an old version of Photoshop after installing a newer one is a bad idea.  I have bunches of old Photoshops on my workstation - which also allows me to try to reproduce problems when people report them here, and I'm not hurting for disk space...

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel,

My instinct is to remove old versions after I install new ones. Thanks to your tip, I now know not to do this when I install future versions of Adobe apps.

That said, I do my work on a notebook with an SSD as my primary drive. Ever since switching from HDD to SSD, now I won't do without the speed of the SSD, but the trade-off is that space is always at a premium. For a person in my position, uninstalling any application that I don't use seemed like a logical step to take.

One extra note, after uninstalling the CS5 and CS6 apps, I used the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool and there was no indication that anything went wrong.

Actually, I'm not sure anything did go wrong. Except for my current PS CC 64-bit Save for Web glitch (which may or may not be the result of unstalling the PS CS5 and CS6) all of my CC apps are working well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can always uninstall and reinstall the latest version, which should clear up any problems brought on by uninstalling the older one, so I guess it's not a "can't get there from here" situation at the worst.

Like you I've been bitten by the SSD bug and refuse to use a computer that doesn't run from SSD any more.  But before I upgraded I had read enough about people struggling with disk space that I chose to bust the piggy bank and buy 2 GB worth of SSD storage.  Turns out that was a good move, as I haven't had to spend extra time reorganizing (though I am pretty organized to begin with).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 TB presumably?

I started this line of work in the 90s, and sometimes I still catch myself referring to a couple of GB as a lot of space...

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Some day when I'm between projects, I'll give the uninstall/reinstall thing a try. Is there anything that I should know about the uninstall end of things in order to get everything to work fine? Should I run the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool program after the uninstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 TB yes, sorry.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My save for web isn't grayed out but when I try and use it, the save dialog box closes and it tells me an error has occurred. If I'm quick enough, I can save the image before it closes the window.

BUG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue here (Win 8 64bit). The problem appeared after Nik  plugin collection (now google's) updated itself without any warning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the Nik plugins and see if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on my mac, getting the dialogue box which tells me thet an error has occured.

It sucks.

Reinstalled photoshop CC  three times now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had an issue with this too, it is unnecessary to uninstall/reinstall the software. I believe it is a matter of how large or how many frames you have in your animation. For whatever reason, you can only save to web if it is under 30 bits. In one case, I only had a simplistic 4 frame animation at 30 bits, and that saved fine, but larger ones would not. So I just switched over to 16 bit, and voila, the option to save to web became available again! Hope this helps some people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much. you really help me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I tried removing all plug-ins and clearing preferences but still had to uninstall and reinstall. Do you find this sort of behaviour acceptable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To what behavior are you referring?

The need to reinstall software if a download is corrupted?  If that's what you mean, I agree that there should be integrity protection and inherent retry processes, especially given that Adobe is all about "cloud" operations now.  This is no longer the 1980s with analog modems. 

That said, Adobe knows well that its data transfer processes have weaknesses and has been steadily improving them (noting that the Creative Cloud application gets a lot of updates).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME2 - post. This is really annoying. I've started the reinstall. Fingers crossed for it to fix the problem. This really isn't by any measure good enough Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why now all of the sudden is this "save for web" option grayed out? Not happy!!

Is the answer really to uninstall and reinstall app? Seems off with this Adobe CC installer stuff that says my app is up to date. ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe Tech Help and they suspected that my Preferences Settings corrupted. I'm not sure how that happened!!

1. Close Adobe Photoshop if it is opened.
  2. Find the following:   (windows user can hit windows key + r, then in run cmd line type "%appdata%" to locate your "AppData\Roaming" directory)
    \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Adobe Preferences CC Settings
  3. Rename the  "Adobe Preferences CC Settings" folder to "Adobe Preferences CC Settings_old"  so that preferences settings can be recreated.
  4. Reopen Photoshop CC and open a new or existing file to verify that your "save for web" option is back and not grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this and didn't resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! worked perfectly!! just the folder in my computer was named "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings" on the folder: AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines