Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web error - Mac OS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have an issue saving gif for web with my OS to Catalina (10.15.2).

When I try to save, there's a message saying :

"Adobe save for web error. Could not complete this operation. An unknown operating system error has occured."

I tried to delete "save for web prefs.psp" but nothing has changed.

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.57.14.png

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.55.45.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 153 Replies 153
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I was getting frustrated with the error. This saved me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont save file directly, click on preview (bottom left) it will open the file in safari, download from there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, I can happily say that the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CC2020 that I updated to (21.1.2 release), and the latest updates to Catalina (now running v 10.15.4) – those 2 updates – have finally allowed the Save for Web function to work again! Yay! How long this lasts, since the Save for Web (legacy) seems to be being phased out, I have no idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem on a Mac Book Pro with Catalina. Since this "update" everything stopped working properly.

Photoshop updated, V21.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed. Reinstall Photoshop did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess not. Only works when saving JPEGS. PSD files the error comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I have the problem that I cannot save pictures as web.

I spent many hours trying to find the bug but to no avail.

I reinstalled Photoshop, reinstalled Mac OS, etc.

The version for Photoshop is: 21.0.3.

The OS version is: Catalina: 10.15.2

Please help! I am a web designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same setup as yours, Shopiago. Same version of Photoshop installed, and save version of Catalina on my MBP. Did anyone help you with this yet???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, 

here the solution: 

Photoshop have a new option to save picutres with optimizaed image size like "save for web". 

Klick on File -> Export -> Export as 

ps.png

Sorry for the germany language but I think this help you! 

I hope this help everybody! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here with the same problem. Just updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.3 yesterday night and straight away, Save To Web As is broken for me. Checked with Adobe Creative Cloud. My Photoshop is up to date. What gives? Urghhh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're all wasting our breath here – this has been slowly phased out of Photoshop, and was already in legacy version (meaning Adobe doesn't update any new code). Apparently, they (Adobe) want us to use the Export As... feature now. Which yes, really sucks by comparison. With the release of Catalina, it really broke it and will not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a map image that I've sliced into separate areas, so that each can have its own hyperlink when the image is reassembled as an invisible "mosaic" on a web page. I've done this successfully with previous versions of Photoshop -- using Save for Web / Legacy to generate a folder of images slices that I then bring into a web page or wiki page for display and linking, 

Now, however, in my new installation of PS 21.01, when I try to use Export > Save for Web / Legacy to generate the component sub-images from a single image that I've sliced, all I get is an error message saying "The operation could not be completed. An unknown system error has occurred."

I need to complete this procedure for a time-sensitive project, and I was relying on Photoshop's previous dependable Export functions to meet a deadline. What's the workaround in 21.01 please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the error you are getting in Photoshop while trying to Save for Web.

Would you mind sharing the operating system version you are using? Do you get the same error when trying to use Export As or Save As?

You can try resetting the preferences of Photoshop to check if that helps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Please back up your actions, presets, etc. before resetting the preferences. You can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply, Nikunj.

I'm running Mac OS Mojave -- 10.14.16. That's pretty current.

I get the error with the Export - Legacy option. "Save As" is irrelevant. It offers no option for exporting Slices. All it gives me is a complete version of the source image -- which I already have. I need the divisions as individual files. That's the whole point of Slices.

I viewed the Julianne Kost video on the Reset Prefs page you referenced. Nikunj, that's ancient! It's based on PS CS6! Please get your team to generate something more current. The Photoshop Prefs folder is enormously more complex now than it was in those days.

With that said, and with Photoshop not running, I located the Save for Web prefs file and removed it from the folder, then restarted Photoshop. The change made no difference. I still got the error. Moreover, when I quit Photoshop again to replaced that prefs file, I saw that Photoshop hadn't regenerated a fresh copy. There was no replacement for the file I'd temporarily removed.

Advice on next steps would be appreciated. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- typo on the OS in my previous reply. That should have read "Mac OS 10.14.6."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nikunj.m -- Following up on previous replies: I exported the subject image to another machine, which has Photoshop 20.0.7 on Mac High Sierra OS 10.13.6. I tried making some test slices in the image, then exporting using Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

The export -- to a folder containing multiple image slices -- was successful. Behavior and resulsts as expected. No errors. 

This suggests that the bug is with Photoshop 21.x Possibly the OS version is a factor, but it seems less likely.

The Mac running on Mojave with Photoshop 21.x is still my main production machine, so I would appreciate a solution to the problem. Bucket-brigading to and from another Mac running a previous version of Photoshop is a workaround, but not a great one. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind going to the System Preferences for Mac then navigate to Security and Privacy > select the Privacy Tab > Select Accessibility from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list? Once done, restart the computer to check if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately – Catalina does not let me add both Photoshop 2020 AND Photoshop 2019 to Security and Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility. It's absurd. I can't use Photoshop 2020 because it + Catalina make it impossible to use my Wacom/Cintiq due to an 8-10 sec lag. I have to use Photoshop 2020 for other applications. But I mean, seriously, how did these kind of problems happen? I just don't understand what's going on with testing at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update for a workaround yet? I get this error on every single file now if I try to save for web. This is also not allowing me to export gifs, which I need to do for my job. This only started happening when I updated Photoshop. If there is no workaround, how can I revert back to an old version of Photoshop? I have had a ridiculous amount of errors because of this update. PLEASEEEE HELPPPPP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marinam48419036 - Can you confirm you are running Photoshop Version 21.0.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with me. I don't know why, but some files works with save for web, and some don't. I've made a animated gif from a movie in AE, and opened in photoshop to correct some things, and when I try to export save for web, gives me the Error. The file is small, 450x500 px, with no more than 5 basic colors, the animation has 1 second, and the file has 174kb. So it´s not big.
If I open a single image from other file, and try to export, it works! So, for me it works sometimes with some files, and others don't. It´s extremaly frustrating work with this new version o PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have the same problem unfortunately... i'm using MAC OS Catalina and latest version of photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error here... (OS and PS up to date)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience.

Would you mind going to the System Preferences for Mac then navigate to Security and Privacy > select the Privacy Tab > Select Accessibility from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list? Also, if you are using macOS Catalina, grant Photoshop permissions to the Files and Folders then restart the computer to check if that helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj, 

I'm having the same issues. V21.0.3, macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

I just tried your solution with no luck - is there another workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines