• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 481 Replies 481
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'm not sure about this, Adobe did mention plans for Photoshop to work on the iPad Pro. Since they most likely want things to be relatively the same, u would thing they would want to reduce the need to use modifiers keys on the pad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for the fact that there is no keypad on the iPad pro* (I have one). Yes, it makes complete sense to rework the interface from the ground up for a tablet that doesn't have a keyboard. But why rework the interface for a computer, especially when people will be using other apps that follow the established convention? The point is, why mess with an established convention ever? If that were a good idea, the QWERTY keyboard would have disappeared long ago. Anyone want to learn to touch type again? I'm not always happy about how my piano is laid out either (better than blaming my poor fingers 😉 Still, I don't think that's a good reason to rewrite Chopin.

*And if Adobe thinks we're going to see a full-powered version of Photoshop on the iPad anytime soon, that's exciting news. My iPad Pro doesn't have anything close to the processing power or storage capacity needed to run Photoshop seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm not happy with the changes. I let Adobe know about it as soon I heard about this new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the update information the was information of how you can get Transform to worl like Photoshop's other tool like it in the past. So that is what I do.

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is very helpful. I implemented and am much happier. Still, IMHO, a boneheaded move on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this but doesn't appear to be working. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I've restarted my machine but still nothing. Has this worked for anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have the correct filename PSUserConfig.txt in  in your USER ID Photoshop CC 2019 Preferences Folder I have two overrides in my PSUsetConfig.txt One to use WinTab API for  Pen Support and the Other to correct Photoshop Transform problem so Transform will behave like all Photoshop other tools. check that you text is correct and the file is where it needs to be for your CC 2019 installation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see i've done it correctly. On MacOS High Sierra, latest update.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 13.55.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you start Photoshop after adding that file.  If not restart Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, restarted Photoshop AND machine. Doesn't appear to have done anything. I wouldn't mind if the change was consistent within photoshop but that it doesn't even apply to shapes is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhas its time to become a Windows convert.  You should be able to install windows on your Mac The devils in me today.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path that worked for me (on Mac) was /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you! That path worked for me too! You're a lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the path that worked for me (on Mac) was /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019/Configuration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me. Cannot find the photoshop settings folder anywhere, tried putting it into the configuration folder, restarted photoshop and nothing. Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me nuts! What an absolutely ridiculous thing to do Adobe, it's so counter intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had trouble too, I had to save the .txt file as ANSI instead of default UTF-8, and then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some odd reason, I don't have a Photoshop setting folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see the settings folder you have to

1. install the joke of the Photoshop 2019 CC
  2. Launch it
  3. Close it completely

The settings folder will be created. After that you can fix this beautiful, product defining feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this - massive relief to have the familiar version back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I don't have the folder called Photoshop CC 2019 settings? Actually my folder for Adobe is not located under user but in a folder called Software/Adobe/adobe photoshop CC 2019 but then no folder called Settings....where do I save it then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  hate it too, I use non-proportional just as much for what I do. Also no other apps work like this - so now have to remember Photoshop is different than Illustrator and Indesign. I'm always hoping they get more consistent rather than less, oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're aware that you can disable the new behavior?

2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this:

How To Free Transform in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 - YouTube

We dont actually have to hold the SHIFT/CMD key down anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so stupid. Why change something that's been used for goodness knows how long. Also, why oh why do you have proportional scaling as default for images BUT not for shapes. You still need to to use shift for that, so depending on what i'm scaling requires two different shortcuts?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, i'm working in Photoshop and say i'm rescaling a square shape - I have to KNOW whether it's a vector shape or an image before scaling otherwise they behave completely differently. It makes no sense, was this even tested with designers first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines