• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disks full

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Photoshop CC 2015 and am unable to open most of my files or use certain tools (like the brush tool, eraser, and selection tools) because a notification stating "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full" keeps on appearing. I saw an answer to a similar problem suggesting to go to Photoshop>Preferences>Scratch Disks and to delete the disk, but I am not sure of how to delete my disk and of the effects it will have on the application and the running of the program. I have already deleted a majority of my photoshop files, but the problem persists. How can I clear the scratch disks and have Photoshop run smoothly again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gabriellef26942479

This issue occurs when Photoshop have issues accessing your Scratch disk because it might be full or have error.

Close Photoshop.

Hold down CTRL+ALT(PC) / CMD+OPTION(Mac) as soon as Photoshop starts to get this menu:

scratchdisk.png

Select another disk with enough disk space.

Click OK

Let us know if that helps

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched to the other option, but I still can not open some files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's "the other option"?

Photoshop moves such large amounts of data around, that RAM is usually not enough. So it has to write much of it to your hard drive, and that's known as the scratch file. It's just a temporary file that gets deleted when Photoshop quits, but as you work it has to go somewhere.

You can put it wherever you want, as per the screenshot above. By default it goes to your C drive - but if you don't have enough free space on your C drive, you get this message. Then you either need to free up space, or direct the scratch disk to another drive that has enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the options:

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 7.56.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free space is available on your C: drive and other Primary drive Partitions?

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only options are "Startup" and "Macintosh HD".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the options under Second ,Third and Forurth disks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None and Macintosh HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reset Photoshop Preferences

Refer Photoshop Help | Preferences

Do back up your Settings and Presets before resetting(if any)

Here is how you can back them up http://www.prophotoshow.net/2008/11/05/how-to-backup-photoshop-settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preferences- the problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the problem remain if I delete and redownload photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌PRobably.... It's a weird one. It sounds like a style is applied to your layer, like an outer glow or something, but looking at your screenshots i don't see anything like that. It happens in a new document? With your brush set to 100 % opacity? What about a brush with hardness set to 100?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works when I do it on a new document, but I still can not open some files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the root directory of your first Scratch disk for Photoshop temp ************.tmp files.  Also check your RAM usage.  If you have any orphaned temp files (without today's date on them) delete them.

There is a fix in 2015.1 that releases RAM and Scratch disk space without needing to restart Photoshop.  Closing a large document does not clear the Scratch space and RAM, so hold down the Opt key, and go Edit > Purge > Purge all  It is a slightly counter intuitive procedure because holding down Opt (Alt on Windows) tries to cancel the menu operation.  Note, this does not clear all of the space, but it clears a LOT more than the old way.

How much room do you have on your Scratch drive?  With Windows you can use an app called WinDirStat to map out drive usage, so you know what things to locate to other drives.

Disk Inventory X  does the same thing for OSX

Disk Inventory X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌is your hard drive full? need room to work... Should have at least 30% free space on your hard drive.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the hard drive is not full- I think there is about 30% free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@melissapiccone: The free space needed should not be count by relative percentage, but absolute capacity. On my machine, 10GB free space is minimal needed as the scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will be helpful but it's worth a try. Go to preferences>performance

Give Photoshop about 2000 of RAM space.

Click OK

Go to file and click new

Change the bit to 8

Should work..sorry could not post screen shots as I am travelling.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Freaky techie: I gave PS 20GB RAM (I have 32GB RAM installed), but encountered the same error. Freeing disk space is the best way out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines