• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Semi-automatic healing of white dust spots

Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trouble with dust getting into the scanning process of printed photos. I know, I know - work harder on avoiding the dust in the first place. I will, but I will never eliminate it, and I'm getting ready to scan a LOT of photos. The content-aware Spot Healing Brush does a magical job, but it's laborious to click on all the spots one by one. While doing that on a a particularly dusty scan of an old 8x10 aerial photo of a marathon (see small snippet below), I decided to look for something more automatic. Because it was scanned at 1200dpi, the image content had no sharp color changes, making the dust distinctive by sharpness. I tried the Dust & Scratches filter, but even at a setting of only 2 or 3 pixels, I was not happy with the effect on the image content, and a setting of 1px didn't catch enough of the dust.

So my engineering brain started imagining how the various smarts of Photoshop could theoretically be combined to automate it, and I thought I'd ask if something like this is possible. Given a scan at a high resolution like my sample below, so that the dust is much sharper than any content, I imagine a tool doing something like this:

1. Select all areas of white (or nearly white - perhaps a threshold like the Magic Wand tool has) that have edges sharper than some threshold (e.g. a luminosity change of at least 50 within 2px).
  2. Apply the same technology as the Spot Healing Brush (content-aware) to each of those selected areas.

Naturally that wouldn't catch everything - there are occasionally defects that are dark instead of light (dust in the camera instead of the scanner) or particles that are translucent, but the ugliest ones are the bright white ones, and I would happily do additional touches manually if a tool could eliminate the specks like this.

Does anything like this exist in Photoshop, or can I kluge a macro from existing tools? I'm also open to suggestions of third-party tools (PS plugins or standalone tools for Windows) if free or not too expensive.

sample of dusty scan.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

I decided to try to manually do the parts of Stephen's action that I understand, and I might be getting somewhere. Here is what I did, starting from scratch, combining ideas from Stephen and S_Gans:

1. I duplicated the background layer twice - once for the layer that will have Dust & Scratches applied with a layer mask, and the second copy as the sandbox to make the selection for the mask.
  2. On the sandbox layer, I ran Filter -> Other -> High Pass, selecting a radius that only barely showed a hint of t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this entire post and related threads really helpful as I dive into retouching of a huge number of B&W film scans. (There's a nice course here!)

I'd just add that I used Karen's method and instead of the D&S function (Step 7 in Karen's procedure), used the Photoshop's relatively new Fill > Content-Aware functionality on my active selection. (That meant there was no need to create a layer mask from the selection either.) The results were/are amazing and far superior to any D&S methods I've used until now.

So, to all who contributed to this post, my thanks in 2021 for a straightforward, hybrid solution that I've been seeking for quite some time. It's brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OsakaWebbie i know its an old post, but can you please repost your working atn file if possible. I have exactly same problem with my film dust

Thanks

Eugene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Eugene - I've just now put it back in Dropbox here.

As it turns out, in 2019 I thought I was going to scan piles and piles of old photos, but after just getting started, I got too busy with other stuff and didn't get time to do many at all. You've reminded me that I should try to get back to that project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OsakaWebbie thank you very much! I downloaded it, but when I am running it I get an error for Blac&White preset, I will try to figure it our. Again thank you very much! Eugene

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 8.11.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OsakaWebbie I'm just now seeing this post, I downloaded the action! Thank you so much. However, I am running into the same issue as @Twisted_Mind . I run the action and then I get a notification that says "Could not complete the Black & White command because actions that reference files can only be played on the same platform on which they were recorded." Do you know any way around this?

- Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete and re-record the platform dependent step of loading the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Stephen_A_Marsh 

I don't understand what you mean by that. Do you mind writing out step by step directions for that so I can reference on screen? I don't mean to trouble you, I'm a visual learner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Stephen_A_Marsh 

I don't understand what you mean by that. Do you mind writing out step by step directions for that so I can reference on screen? I don't mean to trouble you, I'm a visual learner.

By @IanWhite55

Actions are cross-platform, however, absolute URI paths to resources are not. You need to delete and re-record the step that is causing the error as per this screenshot:

atn-del.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OsakaWebbie I'm just now seeing this post, I downloaded the action! Thank you so much. However, I am running into the same issue as @Twisted_Mind . I run the action and then I get a notification that says "Could not complete the Black & White command because actions that reference files can only be played on the same platform on which they were recorded." Do you know any way around this?

By @IanWhite55

Perhaps there is some way to edit the action to fix the file paths, but I have no idea. Probably the simplest solution would just be to record the action yourself. I haven't looked at this in years, but as far as I can remember, the Action I made is just the steps I described in this post (which I marked as the "correct answer", even though, of course, others helped with a lot of clues before I got to that point): https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/semi-automatic-healing-of-white-dust-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Can you please reupload the photoshop action for this dust removal? I tried to do it manually without success. Thank you in advance!

Best,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bless you my man! Awesome flow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's distinctive about the dust is the sharpness of the edges - apparently that's called high frequency (although I previously only knew that term for waves like audio, light, and electromagnetism).

There are some similarities between audio and video editing!

I don't want to confuse the issue, as none of the methods listed so far in this topic thread have used FT:

https://plus.maths.org/content/fourier-transforms-images

However, the principals of separating an image into high and low spatial frequencies have been side-referenced. Photoshop's High Pass filter is a poor/problematic but simple and easy to use approach to creating a high-frequency representation of an image. Although an old article from 2001, the following link was "groundbreaking" in relation to my use of Photoshop:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131482/the_power_of_the_high_pass_filter.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Fourier transforms! I learned those when studying electrical engineering in college in the 80's, but I haven't thought about them since. (I never did analog design professionally, preferring digital systems engineering and software development, so I didn't need FT.)

And that long article about the High Pass filter is indeed illuminating - thanks for that also.

Along this journey, some of the tutorials I found have also been helpful for my general knowledge of Photoshop. I think my favorite was this video carefully explaining each of the 27 blending modes: The Science of All 27 Blend Modes in Photoshop! - YouTube I previously had either randomly tried different blending modes whose names sounded like what I was trying to do, or just avoided them altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you've got it solved, so I don't know if this would help, but in the Camera Raw filter if you select the Spot Removal tool, there is a checkbox in the lower right corner called Visualize Spots, and a slider to adjust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Barbara+Ash  wrote

Sounds like you've got it solved, so I don't know if this would help, but in the Camera Raw filter if you select the Spot Removal tool, there is a checkbox in the lower right corner called Visualize Spots, and a slider to adjust.

Thanks, but that tool doesn't seem to have a clue for this type of "spot". At the default setting, there are massive white swirls all over the real photo content, and with the slider all the way to the left, it still picks up most of the runners and even the edges of the road but only about a dozen of the largest spots of dust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There ais one main problem to all this.

We only need a good selection and not any median or other bluring tool. We have content aware fill or healing brush which works much better fixing film. Or if someone can automate content aware fill with radius around the defect / heling brush appied to all selected ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines