• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 138 - Disturbing the peace!

Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a quiet summer afternoon in the village of Staithes, North Yorkshire. Nothing can disturb the peace, until.............................    Well that is for you to decide 🙂

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at its full pixel size, and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW138Staithes.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I summited a dormant volcano in Tanzania that was visible every day on our Serengeti backpacking trip, but that hike was more than two decades later. It was 6000 meters high for those who don't measure in feet, and was uphill for 7 days followed by a day and a half of downhill.

I also walked across Kīlauea on the Big Island of Hawaii when it was active but hadn't gone crazy. You could see the lava through the fissures and I still remember the smell.

All I can say is don't wait, Ged. Plan those trips!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trump2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Norman, that's scary!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a bit.  When Ewan said that he lives in Scotland in last week's SFTW I asked if he was the person who did that g0lf ball prank on the person in Norman's image, but despite trying every trick I could think of, the forum wouldn't let me post it.  So I think the only way to include that person is by way of an image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey!  It took me five minutes even to get the above post past the filter-bot.  I'm going to try Simon Brodkin g0lf

[edit]  OK I thionk it might be an alternative word for prank that was stopping my post.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e, the work was fast and crude, but it's the thought that counts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No please Norman, keep him on your side of the pond ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sign alone could disturb the peace 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW138JLx.jpg

OMG, someone had to do it, lol. Terrible but I know you will forgive me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If she stands up, holds her arms out, and starts singing the Titanic theme song, then I'm off 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL I wonder how many people had that thought Dave?  If anyone seeing this happens to watch the occasional 'Boats vs Haulover' video on YouTube, they might be taking issue with the young lady ridding the bow.  Check this video @1:15 to see what I mean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-FORUM--water-dog-SFTW138Staithes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-FORUM--water-2-SFTW138Staithes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, Yorkshire decadence! Nice job Leslie 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I've seen those ladies at Blackpool eh Dave !!

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I saw this it said Appleby Horse Fair to me.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - so much going on there Trevor. The girls watching from teh wall, the two guys bare knuckle fighting, the horse trading..........  Good job ! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

I liked your work so much wanted to give it my tick of approval. In the process, I actually clicked the tick Correct Answer link. I've unchecked that but have given you a like. And here's a message saying well done 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW138StaithesAviles.jpg

The arrival of the triathletes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That scene is so true 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did someone say, "Disturb the Peace?"

"We'll be right over," replied our billions of 17-year cicadas!

SFTW138Staithes JE01.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A close-up, because I know you'll want to see! 😊

janee_0-1623518343800.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leslie Moak Murray : That's pretty much how it is here now, and the noise only abates when it rains!

@Rafael Aviles : Great picture! We have Brood X. You must have another brood if yours have just come out.

@Trevor.Dennis : The Giant Wētā is a scary looking bug! Is it dangerous? It's a great photo!

@davescm : Dave, this is an enchanting photo of the charming Village of Staithes in North Yorkshire! Cicadas are awesome in a curry (so I'm told) and I'm sure you'd love it. Maybe insect-eating @Ged_Traynor can tell us for sure!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one! I remember when they came out in the 90s in the Midwest, they were falling down our chimney and landing in the fireplace. The driveway was solid cicadas and when you drove away you could hear the crunching. EW EW EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines