• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 159 - Going up in the world!

Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First of all thanks to @jane-e and @Trevor.Dennis for bringing us the last two challenges, also to all those who took part in them.

I got the idea for this week's starter image when thinking about the last perspective challenge. So I bring you this scene of an empty lift (elevator for my friends over the Atlantic). What can you now do with it?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to have to add this last one but it has come to light that some of the starter images have been taken (not by our regular participants) for other uses without permission.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW159_Going_Up.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 103 Replies 103
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beautiful, Dave — and very elegant!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane - hopefully it will generate some nice ideas 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I am really sorry that your generously sharing great artwork requires a statement about the obvious limits to its use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said Jacob, it's none of the regular or even irregular participants that led to that notice, so the challenges can carry on as normal 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You explained that very well in the notice, Dave. I am sorrowing over what is happening out there.

And happy that you are undaunted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm  i just waisted 2 mins looking for the rubbish 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. The marble floor was easy to clean before rendering, but I couldn't get the stains out of the lift carpet 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great render as usual Dave. One thing that usually gives a render away from a real life photo is that it is too clean. Glad you left some carpet stains in. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Total changes: -2 +13

Click/RightClick to get closer and Click to get closer still, or Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must not be too perceptive. I only see 6 changes.

I like the creature by the plant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consider you very perceptive, Dean.

SFTW has made me much more aware that there are real(ly) differences in the sense of vision.

I saw the creature before she opened her eyes.

- 3rd floor

- little plant + little creature

+ other creature + 4 eyes watching her (3 possible double pairs or all together)

+ 1st + 5th + 9th floor

SFTW at the corners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW159_Going_Up_Aviles.jpg

Going down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Rafael. I like the way you have turned the entire lift upside down not just the people.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely made me laugh!!! Fun solution : ) .   -Murphy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this Dave, and I think it is going to be a lot of fun.  I tried setting up thee vanishing points using the Bert Monroy method with three point work paths, and found it difficult because the image right point is so far out of the document that by the time you zoomed out far enough to place it, you couldn't see how well it aligned with the image.  So I set the points with Lazy Nezumi's Vanishing Lines preset, placed guides on the vanishing points and used those to locate the work path points.  That file is attached below.

If I had to do it manually I later realised that left vanishing point is easy to place, so you do that and plave a horizontal guide on it.  The right side vanishing point also has to align with the guide so you could use a trial and error aproach.

1. Place the two outer points on suitable locations
  2. zoom out and roughly place central point on the horizontal guide getting it as close as you can.
  3. Zoom back in to see how close you got, and if thee central point needs to move more to the left or right
  4. Pan over to the central point and make fine adjustments
  5. Repeat steps 3. and 4. untill you get acceptable accuracy.

image.png

Or use Lazy Nezumi Pro if you have it.  Anyway, I hope the attached JPG helps.  The way I use them is to place the outer path points and stroke them with a one pixel fully hard brush using a contrasting colour.  I do this on a Perspective Lines layer at the top of the stack.  I then use the perspective lines to place clipping paths to make my image elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Or use Lazy Nezumi Pro if you have it. 

This is useful, Trevor, thanks! Too bad Lazy Nezumi Pro is Windows...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How Did You Get Here?""How Did You Get Here?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic idea...I'm wondering what can be found on the other floors too! You can make this into a series of art works. - Murphy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work. Is that a cat in the distance. Wonder what it is seeing. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

murphy_SFTW159_Going_DOWN.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So whimsical, mamma murph!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is lovely, @mamma murph and I hope that she can hold her breath underwater for a very long time like the haenyeo divers of Jeju Island!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How David Bowman got to the hotel room at the end of the Universe:

2001Elevator.png

He took the elevator, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines