• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 169 - Keep it thimble!

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's that time again, the weekend is about to start and it's time for another challenge. The idea for this week's starter image came from @jane-e who told me how she came across a thimble which she has had since her childhood. Of course, the thimble is worn when creating things by sewing, but what can you make from from the thimble itself?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW169Thimble.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glasgow I presume. I wonder where the cone went? 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Dave.

The traffic cone has been replaced a few times albeit briefly, but only this once by a traffic thimble (in 2009 while the banners were yellow, and unknown to most).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW 169 Thimble Submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I want those coloured pencils!  I honestly get excited about really sharp pencils, and there few things I find more relaxing than sharpening them.  I spent a small fortune on a set of Pentel pencils and replacement leds for my workshop, but I rarely use them because I love using the wooden pencils. I work my way through the box and when the last one loses its sharp tip, I have the pleasure of putting them all through the wind-up sharpener.   It's a funny old world. 

image.png

Hmmm... it didn't take long to go off topic this week.  Sorry Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, you will have to resist overrelaxing and ending up with a stump.

I believe a handheld one is safer, but maybe insufficiently relaxing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the pleasure of putting them all through the wind-up sharpener.   It's a funny old world. 

By @Trevor.Dennis

I have one of those, an old Boston, in my workshop.

In addition to sharpening my Ticonderoga No. 2 pencils, it's great for pointing dowels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the simple things in life give us joy 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pencil.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pencil.jpg

By @EuanWilliamson

Did you dream that one up Euan?  It's very witty.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new use that we could all use. Nice one Bob.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone remember Lonnie Donegon and skiffle bands?

image.png

Does your chewing gum lose its flavoron the bedpost overnight?If your mother says don't chew it,Do you swallow it in spite?Can you catch it on your tonsils,Can you heave it left & right?Does your chewing gum lose its flavoron the bedpost overnight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's going back a bit - pass the washboard!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW 169_Thimble_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thinking K and nicely done!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, you've just invented thimbolism 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg Hahahahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW169Thimble_Aviles.jpg

Mrs. Frankestein was not happy with her husband's raiding of her sewing kit for parts to use on his creature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Rafael !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW169Thimblewith-Dalek.jpg

Trevor brought us a Dr Who themed image last time, so I thought I should continue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clever, Dave! How did you make the energy beam spraying out of the gun stick?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, I quickly modelled and rendered the top part of the Dalek then combined the render with the original image in Photoshop. I didn't have a lot of time so it's not too detailed. The 'energy beam' is just painted Photoshop brushstrokes with a stroke and outer glow added in Layer Styles.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines