Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 172 - Toss a coin

Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some excellent ideas and images in our last, 'Misty Nights', challenge. Thanks to all who took part.

This week we have something different. There are countless coins around the world. In the UK alone, according to the Royal Mint, it is estimated that there are around 29 billion coins in circulation. So I thought we should have our own SFTW coin.

Here is the blank coin. What will you put on it? Also feel free to show it in use.

A quick tip for anyone new to Photoshop, Layer Styles - Bevel and Emboss can be your friend here.

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW172Coin.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 112 Replies 112
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip a coin. Or (if you prefer) a political statement.SFTW172Coin_Tails.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. Thanks for getting us started with good humour. Now heads or........ 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pocketmoney when I was young

SFTW172Coin-groat.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see you representing Scotland Euan 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-adobe-SFTW172Coin.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Leslie. I love the style and character in that.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like always - beautiful artwork Leslie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What amazing timing! I just happen to be working on a design for a challenge coin for our city fire department. I just made some adjustments to fit this coin. :fire:👩‍🚒

SFTW172Coin.jpg

John W. | pixellingo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW pixellingo. That's an excellent design and it looks good on our template coin.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave! 👋

John W. | pixellingo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I have to admit, at first glance, I thought you said "Welcome to STFU" which made me laugh. SFTW is WAY nicer...so thanks, man.

John W. | pixellingo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW172Coin_Aviles.jpg

The new Olympic Track bicycle. Coin-operated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Rafael - and you're the first to use the coin in a completely different way! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. I really admire the technical brilliance of the contributors to this fun exercise (including yourself, of course) but I am not at that level, especially when it comes to animation. So, I let my imagination suggest images that are within my technical reach. I do enjoy all the submissions and often learn a new technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW172Coin-JEL.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beautiful !

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jill! I find it amazing that you wrote “beautiful” when only yesterday I was led to watch “Why Beauty Matters,” a documentary by Sir Roger Vernon Scruton, while doing research for a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW JEL. That design from SFTW144 fits very well with this week's theme.

If anyone is interested, I made that shield entirely procedurally in Adobe Substance Designer.

2022-10-01_17-59-23.jpg

I can share the graph if anyone wants to explore it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

I can share the graph if anyone wants to explore it.

Yes, please. 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too please 🙂

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go. You will need Adobe Substance 3D Designer to open the SBS and see the graph. Substance Painter or Designer can use the SBSAR.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Another learning day 🙂

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F.A.B., Dave! It seemed a perfect fit to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines