Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 172 - Toss a coin

Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some excellent ideas and images in our last, 'Misty Nights', challenge. Thanks to all who took part.

This week we have something different. There are countless coins around the world. In the UK alone, according to the Royal Mint, it is estimated that there are around 29 billion coins in circulation. So I thought we should have our own SFTW coin.

Here is the blank coin. What will you put on it? Also feel free to show it in use.

A quick tip for anyone new to Photoshop, Layer Styles - Bevel and Emboss can be your friend here.

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW172Coin.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 112 Replies 112
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KittyCoin.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fits well Joseph and looks suitably fierce. I like the additional grunge on the coin.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forum coin copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an excellent take on the currency theme Chuck, and a great job with the 0s making up the face.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. Amazing what you can do with scripted fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripting is something I never got into in Photoshop. I should really though,  as I am comfortable programming and it would open up lots of possibilities.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I got into it shortly after Adobe offered it in PS. It helped speed up my workflow tremendously. When Deco scripts was introduced in CS6, I was really excited about the possibilities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW172Coin.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel that's a bit mean, but also clever. I've never seen that effect before.  It's only working on my main screen which is 32 inch 2560 x 1440.  It's not doing anything on my 24 inch 1200 x 1920 screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should we see? 🙂 At 100% I see diagonal lines. Zoomed out I see some colouring similar to a moire colour effect.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I click to expand it, it over spills my screen. If I then move it up and down with the scroll wheel on my mouse, I get a moire interference pattern that moves and creates a dark band that flickers.  You only see the effect while the image is moving, and it's almost painful to see.  I think there's a moire interference between the image and my monitor pixels.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel's coin is positively coming toward me, not moving away from me.

a7986.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only see something similar to a gradient with Safari on my iPad.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I have a feeling these moire effects are monitor specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see different patterns as I adjust the browser window size,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not skilled enough to create the relief that others have shown, but I'm going to try to find some tutorials for that.

In the mean time:

SFTW172Coin submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indent effects  like lettering, footprints in the sand etc. are easiest done by using layer style Bevel & Emboss with fill opacity set to zero [EDIT] I forgot to add that direction needs to be set to Down (depending on light direction)

image.png

You can enhance the effect with some Inner Shadow with a 45° or 135° light angle.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do the same thing with a picture, use Stylize > Emboss.  I found that Linear Light worked best, but several blend modes came close.  I had the dark circle cut out with a layer mask, and the emboss was effecting the outside of the disk.  Remember this is a filter not a layer style, so layer mask hides effect would not work.  To fix that I applied the mask and immediately added a new one (because the emboss was hard baked into the first mask).  I then unlinked the mask and made it smaller with Free Transform, and then feathered the mask in Mask Properties.  That made the outside of the disk blend into the background of the coin.

That's a bit long winded, but I am thinking most people taking part in SFTW threads would know what I mean.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that.  I'm going to play with those suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to use emboss from layer styles, not from filters.  That's where I went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a better, not perfect, but better attempt:

SFTW172Coin submitted v2 .jpg

I like this one a bit better:

SFTW172Coin submitted v3 .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job Bob, and thanks to Trevor for helping out. It's great when a post generates methods to achieve an end.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look closely, you will see Dave is made out of type. On his face. Making him "Typeface Dave".

SFTW172Coin JE01.jpg

Photo Credit: @davescm when he defined "typeface" for us in a forum post. 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it Jane, but is Dave looking a bit like Gandi? 🙂  Or Gandi who has eaten all the pies?  Sorry Dave.

That reminds me. We had a news article on the TV tonight about a company called 'Fat B@stard Pies'  Only in New Zealand.  

Ten minutes before that, Dan the Weather Man was telling us about a cold snap coming up from Antarctica, and he points at a weather system saying 'Look at this bugger here!'.   That is not quite only-in-New-Zealand, because those Ozzies also talk like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I love it Jane, but is Dave looking a bit like Gandi? 🙂  Or Gandi who has eaten all the pies?  Sorry Dave.

Trevor, you made me go and look for the original post where Dave created the image. It came right up — once I figured out the right search terms:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/account-payment-plan-discussions/what-do-i-get-if-purchase-photograpy...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines