• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 181 - When the tide comes in.

Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all those who took part in our last 'cog wheel' challenge.

This week I bring you a Scottish castle.  Eilean Donan castle is on in the North West of Scotland and, although it has been there since the 13th century, the castle we see today was actually rebuilt in the early 1900s. It is situated where three sea lochs meet. It is a lovely place to visit at any time, but can you show us what it might look like later in the day when the tide comes in?

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW181EileanDonan.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm, growing up in the North East of England did you first learn the traditional lyrics published in 1849 or the modern version that was used as the theme song? I like the traditional lyrics better.

@Trevor.Dennis I know you've heard Dave speak and you know I'll call you out on that! 😊 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - The seven dwarves is a nice touch Trevor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW_MAZIER.jpg

LUTS + All elements from Pixabay free of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's certainly later in the day Didier. Have the Chinese aletered the design of their airship or is this from another place ? 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a big fellow on the left Ronald. Sort of Wallace meets Goliath ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not Eilean Donan, Brigadoon

SFTW-Brigadoon.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 100 year event then Euan 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, Auckland had a 200 year weather event last week.  Its wettest month ever recorded with 539mm (21 inches) for January!  At the same time, the West Coast of the South Island, which is usually the wettest place in New Zealand had record breaking hot weather.  Hokitika had a staggering 18,413mm (60 feet) of rainfall in 1997!!!  That's nearly as much as you get oop north in England. 😉

I know that California was also getting hammered in January.  Our NEMA (National Emergency Management Agency) has warned us to expect these weather extremes will become a lot more frequent going forward.  It almost makes it a relief to be old, but you have to worry about what's in store for young folk.  Except for Greta Thunderberg.  I don't mind if she gets rain on.  Did anyone here know that she has become quite wealthy on the back of her infamy?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That last link looks like everything but a reputable source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW181EileanDonan-mod.jpg

This is more like “find the errors”! 😄

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a second one:

SFTW181EileanDonan-mod2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Abambo 

Oh no, now it's guaranteed to be uncomfortable in the cold season - and my condolences.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second one was easier to spot than the first one! I also had to resort to the difference blend mode for the first one. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use the difference mode! Is it better for my carbon footprint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use the difference mode! Is it better for my carbon footprint?

By @PECourtejoie

Only if combined with the windmills... 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here we gooo, i like what i done :)here we gooo, i like what i done 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW Manal. You've met the brief with the rising tide and the view late in the day, and even revealed some new mountains!. I like it. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my edit was cliché, I had to use a cliché (name of an old photo in French)

Thanks to the Stability plugin for its interpretation of Nessie, I sprinkled a Photographic Toning gradient map at low opacity, and used a Stock image for the background. Some Kyle brush for the masking of the photo...SFTW181EileanDonan.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one p.c.  If it is a postage stamp, then a watermark would be a nice touch,  but unless they use wooden envelopes in your location, it probably isn't a pstage stamp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice Pierre - the muted and yellowing colours suite the theme very well.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there was much rejoicing.

SFTW181EileanDonan_HolyGrail.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the one on the right, as we look, playing the pipes GC ? If so, very fitting ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acually, he's pretending to ride a horse while someone bangs two cocoanuts together! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines