• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 218 - A round of Bridge!

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to Jane for creating our last, very successful,  'cracked bell' challenge and to all who took part and posted their images.

This week, we are off to the Scottish highlands and, in particular to Carrbridge. The packhorse bridge, built in 1717, is said to be the oldest stone bridge in Scotland. It was all but destroyed by a great flood, in 1829. So, 195 years on, I thought our Photoshop team could give it some attention. What can you do to bring it back to use?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humor and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW218Bridge.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is a much calmer scene 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took some time outlining the new water level using the Pen tool.  Filled a new layer with the path outline, so I could clip some muddy water to it, and tried a few flood water images, and they all look horrible.  Half a minute with Gen Fill, using the same outline, gave me three way better results with decent perspective and reflections.  Same thing with the cows.  It did a reasonable job, and it did it uber fast. 

he boat was more of a mission.  I thought I had a good selection with the size and perspective I was after, but this was the best of three tries fine tuning the selection each time.  There was some weird protuberances coming out of the boat, sort of like how Ai can't work out faces and hands, but easy to fix.  

If I was doing this to earn a living, I would absolutely use the Ai tools everywhere they saved time and did a nice job, and it seems inevitable that those people holding out against these tools are going to struggle to remain competitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a back-breaking river cleanup @Trevor.Dennis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things are stronger than we. For Andrew Foyle in 1940 it was any small stone bridge in Scotland.

Wing Commander Ted saw it happen, sat on the newly fitted limestone looted from somewhere called Giza.

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He'll be in trouble for that one, Jacob 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely, Dave: for his sins (or proven skills) Andrew is appointed target in tests of the brand new radar system at Dover which goes really well until his radio transmitter fails at night, and he only escapes friendly fire by crash landing in a field that turns out to be full of poles and ditches, destroying his Spit (S1E4, Eagle Day).

Click to get closer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spot Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troll bridge.SFTW218TrollBridge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I saw that when I took the photograph. Or, it could just have been the extra dram! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See! I knew this was coming! But yikes! Must have already eaten a unsuspecting goat on a little boat. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-SFTW218Bridge-DOG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A real water dog, your Ursula; or should I say river dog, Leslie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! You remembered her name!   I named her Ursula because she looked like a brown bear when she was a puppy..  Yes Labs are water dogs for sure. They even have webbed feet! My Ursula (RIP) would swim in my pool every day, even in December. Here she is with my daughter years ago:

CAROLINE AND URSULA 1999.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:heart_suit:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An exquisite picture of safety and trust, Leslie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so sad Leslie.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor, we miss her very much!  She lived to be 13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
9 hours ago 9 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a black labrador. She certainly loved the water.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW218Bridge-JL-A.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
9 hours ago 9 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice JEL. I hope it doesn't block the flow, it was a flood that did for the bridge in the first place. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines