• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 24 - Football Crazy!

Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the world cup football underway (soccer to my friends in North America) I thought it would be a good opportunity for you to show what skills you have with a ball.

I thought we had better not use the official world cup ball (FIFA World Cup official match balls - Wikipedia ) as it is covered in sponsor logos. So I bring you our own SFTW "official" ball.   What will you do with it?

As always:

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW24Football.png

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add some shadows later if I have time.

Newtons-Cradle.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great start Trevor !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, Trevor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Football Crazy you say?

Football-Crazy-2.gif

I'm sure getting some mileage out of that head .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey.  Where has my day gone?

Putin-Heading-Ball.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one did have me laughing out loud

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arghhh! Take it down quick - I came from Sunderland !!!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your renovations must be finished, Trevor, that you have time for SFTW?

These are just crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week024.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that Rista, your best yet!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great Rista.  Reminds me of this convincing evidence that the Chinese have a sense of humour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some updates.

Newtons-Cradle-(with-shadows).gif

Football-Eyes-(Sunderland).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can show my face in Sunderland again☺

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista, yours is so charming, and Trevor, is that the design for the MAX 2018 shirts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in the U S of A, this is football:

American Football.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  That's almost as sacrilegious as my putting Dave in Newcastle strip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Hah!  That's almost as sacrilegious as my putting Dave in Newcastle strip. 

Agree—right shape, wrong color for a “football”!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

Here in the U S of A, this is football:

Can't be football - he has the ball in his hand

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha—next week maybe our picture should be a biscuit (American style)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Hahaha—next week maybe our picture should be a biscuit (American style)!

Oh no!  That could get very confusing.  Brits would be thinking Huntley & Palmer, and Americans would be thinking bread.

Image result for different uses of the word biscuit

And woodworkers would be thinking of these jointing aids.

Image result for joinery biscuit

That entire UK/USA word thing is so confusing.  Boot/trunk, hood/bonnet etc. etc.

One that caused amusement at my workplace was the ground floor/first floor.  In the UK the first floor is the next one up after ground, whereas in America I believe that their first floor is the same as the UK ground floor.  So on the day of an important meeting (this was Ford Research in Essex) my manager (Let's call him Brian — because that was his name) met two German engineers who had come over for the meeting, and entered the lift and pressed the button marked 1

...and nothing happened.  So Brian pressed button one again, and the three of them stood there going nowhere.

At this point Brian apologised for the 'broken' lift, and suggested that they should try going to the 2nd floor and walk down, so he pressed button 2.

This time the lift worked, and up they went to floor #2, and walked to the stairs and proceeded down...  back to where they started! 

What made this story become priceless was that when Brian and his bemused German visitors arrived late to the meeting attended by Senior Executive Engineers and high echelon Ford Europe people, he proceeded to tell his story and reinforce their opinion that Brian was a bit of an idiot.

There after Brian always used the stairs, because he couldn't get into a lift without someone making fun of him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Italians have this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/images/20091221-almondbiscotti.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​,

Loved your “lift” story, although we call it an “elevator”. Did people stop making fun of him when he took the stairs? Because that would never stop the people I know!

Semaphoric, we call that “biscotti”, which I never thought of as the Italian word for “biscuit”. You win the biscuit contest—that looks really good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis ,

Loved your “lift” story, although we call it an “elevator”. Did people stop making fun of him when he took the stairs? Because that would never stop the people I know!

Poor Brian had always taken the lion's share of banter in our department.  He was an officer in the RAF before coming to Fords, and was a frightful snob, but he really did mean well.  He just wasn't quite living on the same planet as the rest of us.  He once had this 'marvelous'idea of installing a white board in the lab — the idea being that if any of us found ourselves with nothing to do, we'd put our name on the board, and if someone needed something doing, they'd pick a name from the board.  Yeah, right!

The very first thing that went on the board was:

Q What's the difference between Brian #### and a bucket of poo? ...or words similar to that.

A The bucket.

It was character building working there, and it wouldn't happen nowadays I'm sure.  Another trick (which I might have mentioned before) was to put something on the board partially in permanent marker.  When the target scrubbed it out, it left something rather worse, but I'll leave the details to your imagination.  MS Word Auto Correct presented a good opportunity to lab mayhem so when the person signed off with their name, AC changed it for something else.

Brian retired before I did, and volunteered as an administrator at a big country park.  I actually quite liked him as he had a good heart.  When one of our engineers drove his car off a cliff in Switzerland killing his girlfriend and leaving himself in an induced coma for nearly six months, Brian went above and beyond for him, so a bit of a drip, but definitely not one of those corporate sociopaths — and we had a few of those!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW24Chain.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines