Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 33 - The Phone Box

Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The red public telephone box is a common site throughout the UK although there are a few less of them now than at their peak.

Some folk have bought decommisioned boxes and , according to Wikipedia, the sale conditions include a clause that the buyer "shall not install, provide or operate any form of electronic communications apparatus (as defined in schedule 2 of the Telecommunications Act 1984) within the Goods." So old boxes have become used as garden sheds, artworks, libraries........ anything aside from a telephone.

With that in mind, this week, I bring you a rather tired looking phone box. Actually this one is a 3D model I created and rendered, loosely based on the "K2" phone box  introduced in London in 1926. What new lease of life and purpose will you give this phone box?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW33PhoneBox.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i ran out of time on this so sorry for the low rendor textures

SFTW33PhoneBox.jpg

update: added a light and repaired the textures

SFTW33PhoneBox.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phone.jpg

Time to bring these bad boys into the 21st century!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor - you do realise you may just be re-opening the moon conspiracy debate from a few months ago . I do like the way you have changed the lighting on the box (now dark on the front and light on the left) to match the background and the rest of the image.

Chana - I think if I used that phone box to ring for a taxi to get me home from that vineyard, it may take a while

UssNorway - It looks like the box made it to Sydney! Did you map the phone image onto a new model to make the Tardis?

HothWampa - Brilliant idea, very clever!

Keep them coming - if you are new here, don't just view the thread , join in and have a go.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

UssNorway - It looks like the box made it to Sydney! Did you map the phone image onto a new model to make the Tardis?

yes mate... that gave me a new texture so I could redo the glass in the door panels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, no "Electronic Communications Apparatus"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

Hey, no "Electronic Communications Apparatus"!

I had forgotten about that ! Good refereeing !!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A favorite American pastime in the 1950s.

SFTW33PhoneBox 900 Jane.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Jane. Over here it was how many students in a classic Mini car.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mini cars never made it to the States, but Google shows the Guiness World Record was 28 women!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cp8xJRFirAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but that is the modern, larger, Mini. The same group then went on to get 23 in an original Mini, beating the previous record of 21!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an interview from some of the teens after they grew up:

Cramming People Into a Thing: A Photo History | Mental Floss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, such a cool idea.  I love it.

Only 24 in a New Mini, but the Kiwis do in style.

I looks really quite dangerous to me.  A person could pass out and suffocate without anyone realizing.

The joke on this subject used to to be:

Q   'How do you get two whales in a  Mini?'

A   'You drive down the M4 and cross the Severn Bridge.'

But that does not work so well when written down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confess. I don't understand the whales joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume when you cross that bridge you are in Wales  ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a joke based on homophones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Derek+Cross  wrote

It's a joke based on homophones.

Hey, that's a good word.

Yes, the questioner is asking

Q)     'How do you get to Wales in a mini?'

And the listener hears

Q)     'How do you get two whales in a mini'

A)     'Drive down the M4 and cross the Severn Bridge.'

What it doesn't mean is  

I really need to get a life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I got the whales/Wales/Welsh part!    I had to look up some other things.

M4

First to come up is "M4 carbine". Searching for "M4 in UK" shows "motorway which runs between London and Wales". I had no idea what an M4 was. I just looked at the map, though, and found that the UK names their road like they name their paper sizes — logically!

Severn Bridge

The only Severn River Bridge I knew is one near Annapolis in Maryland that I take when I go to the Eastern Shore. I didn't know there was a second one. In July of this year it was renamed The Prince of Wales Bridge, according to Wikipedia. I tried to post a photo of my Severn Bridge, but Jive is giving me the same error message that the image type is forbidden, this time with Safari on my iPad.

Fun Fact:

My family hails from a small town 45 minutes from the bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Fun Fact:

My family hails from a small town 45 minutes from the bridge.

The very moment I read that, I  had this mind picture of a TV series called 'The Bridge' featuring Jane's family, who live and work in the cut throat world of Content Creation, fighting their competitors and enemies with dastardly memes and sharp as  a knife Photoshopped caricatures of anyone brave enough to stand against them.  The series features an ever growing number of graphic designers, mysteriously disappearing, with the only clue being the footprints of a huge mountain lion.  It ends with Jane running away with the FBI agent sent to investigate the disappearing graphic designers. 

[EDIT]  The closing scene is the mountain lion chomping down on Donald Trump, and spitting him out because he tastes so bad, but crowds of people  queue up to donate sugar and Maple Syrup to  fix the sour taste so that the lion can finish his meal.  The meal repeats on the lion who expels a giant belch which instantly reverses Global Warming.    In the epilogue, the lion receives a Nobel Prize for services to humanity.

OK, I think I feel better now.     I've just started a thread over in The Lounge forum, about Neobarok  which I discovered yesterday.  It's a free 3D sculpting app, and pretty damn cool, but light on instructions, so I am trying to find other folk who use it.

Neobarok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes, that was us in that TV series and I have the photo with the lion to prove it!

One fact wrong, though—Dirck retired from ATF, not the FBI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Oh, yes, that was us in that TV series and I have the photo with the lion to prove it!

One fact wrong, though—Dirck retired from ATF, not the FBI.

Wow, Dirck was a real life Special Agent.  How cool is that?    The last book I read (The Late Show by Michael Connolly) mentioned a silent 'E' on the end, that being for  Explosives, (I get most of my information on stuff like that from books).   Were  you allowed to keep his badge/shield?  I imagine not, which is a real pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATF stands for the "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives" and it took on the "E" when it moved from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Justice. The long-timers refused to say BATF and later refused to say ATFE and absolutely hated the move to DOJ. I think that sped up Dirck's retirement because they started making changes that they didn't understand and made everyone unhappy. Plus plans were being made for a new building that would take them out of the vibrant part of DC into an area that was desolate and would have doubled his commute.

And now I need to correct one more detail in your otherwise 100% accurate story, Trevor.Dennis​. Dirck was not an agent when he was at ATF. The FBI and ATF had a little rivalry going and it was not someone from the FBI that I ran away with!

I'm trying to remember when you posted that photo of me with my lion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was in The Lounge in a thread Cactus started with the subject 'Show us Your Pets' in March this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that picture of my lion, thank you, I will save it this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding my breath that I can post this image. Image-posting is failing for me 9 times out of 10.

This is from Time Magazine:

EPA head Scott Pruitt's expensive purchases | Money

A564581B-D44A-4D46-845A-BA1D00913842.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Holding my breath that I can post this image. Image-posting is failing for me 9 times out of 10.

Jane it has been working again with Chrome for  me for several days now, and never stopped working with Edge.  I have no idea how MACs have been handling the image posting problems though.  I always paste unless it is a frame animation, or sometimes a PNG with transparent background.

Have you tried clearing  your browser cache?

Windows is being problematic for me, typing double spaces every fifth word or so. This has been happening since the Windows 10 Creators update, which has streamlined  the  keyboard settings.  I can't  find any way to set the auto repeat delay.    I've tried the new tools to minimise key bounce, and improved things, but it is still happening.  There's a lot to be said for 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines