• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 36 - Out of your shell !

Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all that took part in last weekend's tube station challenge  (Something for the weekend - Part 35 - The tube ). There were some great ideas and images.

This week I have something a little different. Back in February we had a very succesful challenge based on a piece of driftwood ( Something for the weekend - Part 7 - Driftwood ). I was blown away by the range of ideas that came out of that simple object. So for this weekend I bring you a couple of shells. What can you create with them ?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW36Shell.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been looking at your earlier SFTW's, just to see what I've missed since I'm a very recent participant. I enjoy the wide range of presentations. This is the first "simple" one for me, like the Driftwood you mention, and also like Great Eggspectations! (is that you coming out of the egg that Trevor did?). In a way, the simpler images may be the more challenging for us, conceptually. I like it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry

I like to vary it a bit - it gives more people a chance to have a go. Also, I've been a bit busy this week so I had no time to make up a 3D scene.
Most of the regular ACPs have appeared in the SFTW images at some stage or another - rarely of our own doing though !

Incidentally, if you or anyone else has an image that would make a good SFTW starter - then drop me a PM and we'll slot it in with full credit to the image owner.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what kind of creature this is

SFTW36Shell.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great start Ged - the top looks qiuite owl like - the bottom more sea creature but I could be barking up the wrong tree !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

House Hunting

Week036.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Sea Rosette

Sea Flower.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Rista - I love the "cartooney" look you have given the shells. Perfect match for the creature.

Semaphoric - That graphical pattern would make a good feature tile, amongs plainer tiles on a wall. I like it.

Thanks both.

Keep them coming - if you have an idea - do it and post it!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed an anomaly with transforming Smart Objects on this. On a regular object, Alt+Control+T will transform a copy, but will merely transform the Smart Object (not a copy). However, Shift+Alt+Control+T ​will Transform Again with a copy for a Smart Object, just as with a regular object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a snack

Shells.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Purple-People-Eater strikes again.

Week036II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista

Love it. What would Botticelli say 

Jerry - Very clever - particularly using the shells to make the beach !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista -

That really belongs in the Illustrator forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW36Croc.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

Thats my jam!

(this is the version I still use at home )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScooterD76  wrote

Semaphoric   wrote

Thats my jam!

(this is the version I still use at home )

Yes, but you have posted it in the Photoshop forum, so now  everyone with the CSI plug-in will be able to resolve your hidden information, and steal your identity.    Hang on...  It was Semi who first posted the screen shot, and one Semi is more than enough!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the Purple People Eater image Rista.  I'm guessing that the Oil Paint filter was involved?  Very effective whatever it was.   I'll try and get something up this week, as I am having Photoshop withdrawal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I'm guessing that the Oil Paint filter was involved?

Thank you Trevor.

I used 2 Topaz Glow filters blended together.  Their effect is similar to the Oil Paint Filter but allows for much finer tweaking.  With a massive clone job like this I like to have as much manual input into the unifying finish as possible.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

I'm guessing that the Oil Paint filter was involved?

Thank you Trevor.

I used 2 Topaz Glow filters blended together.  Their effect is similar to the Oil Paint Filter but allows for much finer tweaking.  With a massive clone job like this I like to have as much manual input into the unifying finish as possible.   

Ahhh..   Strangely enough, I do have Topaz Glow, but its a while since I used it, and it is not a bad filter.  Anyway, one from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the Fighting Seabots.

Always wondered what the Bee in Seabees stood for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

It looks like it could be a bombshell!

OK - I'll get my coat ....

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi Trevor

It looks like it could be a bombshell!

OK - I'll get my coat ....

Dave

It doesn't really work.  I had this image in my mind, and distorted the shell to make it fit the perspective, but between Cyborg-Dave and the background hills, the shell is almost lost.  Never mind.  Its always fun.   Who'd have thought that SFTW would still be such a big thing, although I wish a few more people would join in.  I have a SFTW folder which has 67 files totalling 3.3Gb, and that's without the ancillary folders of useful image elements I have collected on the way.  I bet Dave has an even bigger resource with all the source images as well as his entries.  I really look forward to Fridays, so long may it prosper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

That is the key. It is a bit of fun and sometimes we learn something when we try and turn ideas into images.

I just keep raiding my image folders for starter images, or taking/making them. But my supply is not limitless so I always welcome ideas and starter images. So if anyone has an image that would kick off a SFTW challenge, drop me a PM.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines