Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 40 - On the beach

Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the great response to last weekend's barber shop challenge. This week we have a real photograph rather than a 3D model scene. It is part of the beach at Balnakeil Bay on the north coast of Scotland. A beautiful, if somewhat remote, spot to visit although the weather is not always exactly tropical.

So, I bring you the beach - what will you add to it to bring it to life?  Pirates, sea creatures, tourists or something else entirely. The choice is , as always, entirely yours.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW40-Beach.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So funny, @BarbBinder, Wilson the Volleyball!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No cause for alarm.  This guy just wants to learn to read.  He's looking for Dave.

Week040_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see there are a few of us going for the writing on the beach

Barb - Very clever idea !

Jacob - The archaic writing suggests the tide hasn't been in for a while
Rista - If he is looking for me - I'm hiding ! I see you found the letters.

For anyone still looking, I'll post the answer to the hidden letters tomorrow. If you can't wait - then there is always the difference blend mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I tried to be careful in my avoiding obsolete words, although it required self control to abstain from writing hier instead of here (especially after post #7); it helped to have the decision of one English word in each line and the use of closer words, such as brither instead of brurra or brar, to (at least moderately) limit the unintelligibleness (or unintelligibility).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW40-Beach 1200 JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like her, Jane!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Jane . Glad to see she is suitable dressed for a north of Scotland summer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tide's in...

SFTW40-BeachTide-in.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah hah!  That's clever Dave.  I especially like the uneven surface of the water.

Jane, is your beach girl smoking a Sherlock Holmes type pipe? And if yes, what is in the pipe? 

The image as a whole puts me in mind of a pop video.  Do people say 'pop video' nowadays, or have I just dated myself back to the Swinging Sixties?  'I'll give it five'  If you get that reference you are as old as I am.  Clue: it was said by Janice Nichols seen here with the Fab Four.  Blimey.  I just did it again.

Rista, why is it that so many movie monsters are physiologically similar to humans, but with different heads, and maybe different hands, albeit hands that extend from a human shaped glove?  There are always exceptions I guess.   Let's hope that this one is CGI and not likely to jump on your head in the middle of the night! 

Jacob, I'm still trying to work that one out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jane, is your beach girl smoking a Sherlock Holmes type pipe? And if yes, what is in the pipe? 

The image as a whole puts me in mind of a pop video.  Do people say 'pop video' nowadays, or have I just dated myself back to the Swinging Sixties?  'I'll give it five'  If you get that reference you are as old as I am. 

A close-up, Trevor.Dennis​, of what you think is a pipe!

And "yes" to the question about dating yourself back to the sixties. I'm not saying whether I understood your references, because if you remember the sixties, you weren't really there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

And "yes" to the question about dating yourself back to the sixties. I'm not saying whether I understood your references, because if you remember the sixties, you weren't really there.

Jane, you can't possibly be offering a picture as evidence in this thread full of visual 'Alternative Facts'?

I thought I'd go with a Kiwi flavour with this one — stewed human flavour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

The best key may lie in the furst, sorry first, word; DuckDuckGo says Wiktionary has it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

Trevor,

The best key may lie in the furst, sorry first, word; DuckDuckGo says Wiktionary has it.

Well what do you know?  I Just learned something, and it has only been around for ten years!

https://duckduckgo.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

I believe DuckDuckGo may be the search engine that is most to the point, actually aiming at giving answers to the questions implied in the search terms, rather than promoting whomever/whatever is most crafty/craftily designed to maximize earnings for everyone but the asker and therefore increasingly decreasingly satisfactory.

Did you get as far as the brither entry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got one s'more

SFTW40Smore.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Jerry and Trevor - Thursday and still more images. 

Lord of the Rings - Scotland style and now we know how those rocks were put in place !

Great ideas!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry,

I pondered over the letters on the sail as a possible key to who had landed, but the strange mixture of different kinds was as unknown to me as those on the beach, so I was clueless until Dave put a (film) name to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

As far as I can hear, the sand says she climbed the western side of the rock (rather than using the lower ones as stepping/jumping stones to the eastern side; unless she has been there for quite a while, in which case the dryness of her clothes would seem to suggest a vessel, maybe hidden behind the rock in which case she would still have climbed the western side, and in which case someone has been round to see her.

Am I hearing, or seeing, things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the path I would take, Jacob Bugge​. It's very doable for a hiker until you get to the very top where—if you examine the two sides—it looks like a pretty sharp, pointy edge without a flat surface. In my fantasy, I would be at the very top and not one step down, so that's where I put my proxy.

I was out of town Fri-Sat-Sun, so I couldn't do this earlier. But I did see myself climbing this rock every time I looked at davescm's photo and all the other creative adaptations.

Who else is a hiker and wants to join me on scaling the bigger rock to the right where we can't see the top in this photo? That would be so awesome!

If you mean the lack of footsteps, she's been up there a while. See Dave's photo where the tide came in. In this photo, it's gone back out.

SFTW40-Beach Path.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I had been listening to the sand and looking at the footprints going back and forth on the northern (right) side of the rock and seemingly also behind it. So someone has been there since the latest tide.

Now I can hear the (blue) whoosh up the rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Her new path, Jacob Bugge​:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A nimble and surefooted way, Jane.

As is the standing on the top; I had failed to see the sharpness until you pointed it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines