• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 41 -Mind your head !

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all who took part in last week's challenge - some great ideas and images were posted.

This week's image is a bit different. I was watching the Formula 1 racing last week and the superb graphics on some of the drivers' crash helmets caught my eye. It got me wondering what designs our Photoshop folk would come up with. So for this weekend , I've supplied the crash helmet (or at least I've modelled one). Your challenge is to design the graphics. If you want to go a step further, can then put it on a driver in a suitable vehicle?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW41CrashHelmet.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so much the weight of that camera Trevor. It's the weight of the camera-man sitting on your shoulders !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

jane-e   wrote

davescm    wrote

[Edit to add : Lest my comment be mis-interpreted, I do support the wearing of  helmets for bikes, and car racing  and cycle helmets for cycling.

Adding to what you say, Dave the requisite helmet should be a MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System). I replaced my helmet several years ago. They are made for motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, and more.

I’m sorry about your friend’s son. A relative of mine has a brain injury after a fall, and I also know how devastating it is, both to the injured and to the family.

A wee angle on helmets — whether for motorcycles, cycles, skiing, horse riding  etc. — the craze of hanging a camera onto your protection system, can dramatically compromise its ability to do the jog it was intend for.  Just ask Michael Schumacher.  Or rather ask his wife who has looked after him since his GoPro pierced his helmet and skull when he had his ski accident.

As far as I am aware, his helmet split in two after he struck a partially snow-covered rock while skiing, and was catapulted with his head into a second rock. The impact split/exploded his helmet in two.

The investigative team couldn't answer whether the gopro mount would have compromised the structural integrity of the helmet. What they/we do know is that the camera itself was intact (and did not pierce his brain as you assert) and undamaged, which seems to indicate that Schumacher's head/helmet probably did not struck the spot of the helmet where the mount was fixed. As far as the helmet's materials go, nothing was found wrong with it. The mount was glued on the helmet, and would not have (directly) affected the helmet's structural integrity.

Companies behind these mounted cameras make sure their camera helmet mounts break off easily, and in many tests have not found safety issues. You'd think they would test this through and through, because the last thing these companies want is to be made legally accountable for any deaths incurred by their camera mounts.

And researchers have checked whether mountain bikers have suffered any head injuries might have been caused by camera mounts for years and years, and nothing stood out, it seems.

The problem at the time (2014) was that a French Formula 1 commentator Jean-Louis Moncet asserted to have spoken to Schumacher's son, and that he thought that the Gopro mounting had caused the brain injuries. Later Moncet withdrew his comment that he had spoken to the son.

Obviously the press jumped on this like chimps on a golden banana, and the story stuck in many people's minds as "true". But it remains but a doubtful opinion, not backed up by the research and investigations done so far by either the research lab and investigators at the time, nor by testing of the companies of helmet mounted cameras, or observations of observed head injuries since they were introduced in various outdoor sports.

What we DO know is that:

"shortly after 11am he [Schumacher] "deliberately" skied on to a patch of off-piste located in between two runs "with a number of dangers, notably rocks", according to investigators. It was here, no more than 20 feet from the piste, that he struck a partially-covered rock and then catapulted on to another, crashing his head with such force that his helmet split in two. "

The distance between the first rock he struck and the second rock he hit with his head is 9 meters. The piste he was skiing on was very steep. Some people have suggested that having a camera mounted on your helmet might induce some people (males in particular) to take more risks. But whether this was the case with Michael Schumacher? We can't know for certain.

Nothing can be said with any certainty about the role of the camera mount in this accident either. We do know that Michael Schumacher risked getting into a severe accident by going off-piste into an area with obviously visible partially covered boulders and rocks on a very steep hill. And going off-piste is your own responsibility. He himself is to blame for putting himself in a situation where an accident was much more likely to occur. A tragic accident. That is all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are getting depressingly off topic here, and I have to put my hand up as probably starting the trend by asking Graham about  his dripping blood picture.  A lot of people are inherent risk takers, pushing themselves to  ever greater limits.  The late James Hunt (British F1 Driver) is attributed with saying 'The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel'.  For the most part, I am OK with that.  It moves us forward as a species, discovering more about  ourselves and our planet.  I feel a bit uncomfortable about people who put others in danger, and nations to huge expense, by taking on unrealistic challenges, and doing so without adequate preparation.   That reminds me of another saying... 'Proper Planing & Preparation Prevents Poor Performance', although I have seen another version in books written by Chris Ryan and Andy McNab,  'Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance'.

An Australian soldier was rescued en-route to Mount Aspiring back in August after he set off a distress beacon.  Not a biggy, as this sort of thing happens several times a year here, but this was the second time this solider had to be rescued in New Zealand.   To be fair, it was not like his every adventure ended in needing to be rescued, as he'd successfully climbed Mount Cook several times.  The feeling was that the August rescue was avoidable though.  I have trekked in to Mount Aspiring hut on the way to the Cascade Saddle, and the terrain is as hard as anywhere I have encountered here.  Seriously bad weather caused us to think better of continuing, and we trekked back out the following day.  It would have been stupid to continue, but that unfortunately does describe some  people.

We had a 'Speed Flying' fatality here only yesterday.  I had to Google what it is, and it  is best described as an accident waiting to happen (sorry for the cliche).  Note the GoPro logo at the start of this video.  Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I have trekked in to Mount Aspiring hut on the way to the Cascade Saddle, and the terrain is as hard as anywhere I have encountered here.  Seriously bad weather caused us to think better of continuing, and we trekked back out the following day.  It would have been stupid to continue, but that unfortunately does describe some  people.

Trevor, many years ago I saw Ed Viesters talk at a local college about his Everest hikes. On his first attempt, he stopped just short of the summit and then went back down, knowing it was unsafe to continue.

His next words have always been with me: “The goal is not to get to the top; it’s to get back down.”

Ed Viesturs - Wikipedia

EDIT: I Googled your hike, Trevor—it sounds strenuous, but rewarding when the weather is in your favor. It’s never wrong to turn back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

EDIT: I Googled your hike, Trevor—it sounds strenuous, but rewarding when the weather is in your favor. It’s never wrong to turn back.

Jane we didn't manage to do the Cascade Saddle on that occasion, but I trekked up from the Dart hut a couple of years later.  We were doing the Rees Dart circuit, and got to the Dart hut around 2pm so I had time (just about) to approach the Cascade Saddle from the other direction.  My enduring memory of that was seeing a chunk of glassier the size of a house, break off and fall.  

On the previous day, four of us were hiking in knee deep wetland when the man next to me suddenly disappeared up to his waist — we did eventually help him after we managed to stop laughing.  I am not sure that the Dart track is open.  A major slide dammed the Dart river several years ago, and the resulting lake made the area un-passable.   A quick Google suggests that it did reopen, but closed  again after a bridge washed out.  By far the majority of tramping deaths deaths here, are caused by drowning when attempting river crossings

Jerry and Jacob, great ideas, and very funny.  I particularly like the igloo, but I'd have had to put some Huskies and a sled outside, and maybe a polar bear trying to break in for an easy meal.  It's nice that the igloo has a panoramic view window, tinted to reduce glare from the snow and sun.

Dave has surpassed himself for next week, with another fantastic render, but despite the heads up, I don't have any ideas for it as of yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor,

I did think of a pair of (wooden) skis with poles just sticking upright into the air at the back left and a snowman to the right; but I was stronger than it (this time), and kept it clean with everything implied left to imagination; besides, the skis might be a bit strange along with the footprints, or imply their use before the latest snowfall and footprints of a visitor on foot.

With a polar bear, I should have had to include a (tight) band of penguins advancing over the peak to the right. You may also have seen that one (Bluebird's the word, from 2002 I believe); I saw it in (some would say on) Commercial Breakdown. The top country in great commercials is NZ.

Anyroad, the using of a linked image might keep the temptations open, as well as the possibility of subtle corrections (as with the ostrich helmet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was stronger than I, and beginning to remind me of Konrad the rabbit, nuisance to the magician of the Midsomer Magic Circle, turning up everywhere, even in the Cupboard of Death, cherished by the children.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the images and conversations have been diverse

Jacob, I love the rocket idea, the stretched crash helmet works well for that !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just managed to get the ostrich helmet quite right (or at least like I intended).

I wonder whether the rocket distortion with its combination of bending and increasing stretching towards the back (and even shortening at the front) could have been made in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW41Bobble.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow they are still coming in.

Jerry, Very nice trophy cabinet complete with 'super-character's.

Jacob - clever idea for new mountain accommodation.

Finally the wise man on the beach - with bonus points for using a previous SFTW image.

Thanks all for sharing your images. A new SFTW starts tomorrow.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines