Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 45 - Secret of the falls

Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This waterfall is High Force in Teesdale close to where I live. It's a wonderful place particularly at this time of the year , despite the grey skies. However , I wonder what secrets lie in this gorge.

So the challenge this week is to reveal the secrets of these falls.

I don't know if the "rules" need repeating but , for the benefit of anyone joining us for the first time:

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy - come and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW45Waterfall.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing that popped into my head:

Falls2.jpg

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first thought I had

SFTW45Mermaid.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nicely done!

--OB

Edit to add: Either way, I think I want to visit this place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Bob - great start. I think that looks like the "Tinkerbell" faries?  Yes, it is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Jerry - That mermaid fits very well, but I think she might need a vest on. It is below 10 degrees C here .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi

Bob - great start. I think that looks like the "Tinkerbell" faries?  Yes, it is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Dave

They may be, I wouldn't know. I just went for the cutest (safe for work) faeries I could find.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When my daughter was a lot younger than she is now - those faeries were very popular

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Jerry - That mermaid fits very well, but I think she might need a vest on. It is below 10 degrees C here .

I think that since mermaids have the metabolism of fish, they can remain QUITE active even at low temperatures. Not that I've ever had any direct interaction with active mermaids that I care to talk about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, the quality is really picking up with all the practice.  This are looking like they belong with soft shadows anchoring elements to the background.  OldBob1957  your faeries are lovely, but I have a feeling you cheated, and that is a real photograph of real faeries taken at Dave's watery location.  BTW  Did you know that faeries have more magic when spelt with an 'e'?  It's obvious when you think about it.

jane-e  the kayak is spot on.  Perfect scale and totally part of the scene.  I'm mind-picturing those slalom poles they hang above the water, but maybe not this many.  I mean how the heck are they supposed to know which poles to go between?

Scooter, you apparently couldn't help yourself, and out did Graham's rivers-of-blood with what appears to be a torture device.  How does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the kayak is spot on.  Perfect scale and totally part of the scene

No. 20 years expérience in the mater.

pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

jane-e   the kayak is spot on.  Perfect scale and totally part of the scene.  I'm mind-picturing those slalom poles they hang above the water, but maybe not this many.  I mean how the heck are they supposed to know which poles to go between?

Trevor, it’s easy: the gates are color coded — green for down stream and red for upstream. Your photo only has two red.

By “easy”, I mean easy for them, not me! I’ve never done more than a Class III rapid, and my longest canoe trip was eight days on the New River.

They might struggle a bit with your course. And by “a bit”, I mean a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I posted this weeks image I wondered if we would get many entries - but I underestimated the imagination of Photoshop users

Rista - love the rainbow image.

Mo Moola - that's a lovely job on the rocks - they fit perfectly.

Jacob - That's one huge fish !

Scooter - I'm trying to work out what that device is for. It doesn't look pleasant !

USSNorway - With the temperature of that water I'm sure your green man will soon turn blue.

Trevor nice idea - if you gold plate it I'm sure Trump would buy it

Keep them coming - all are welcome to take part

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW45Waterfallnew.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane

I’v teach kayaking for so many years (started at 15 years old) can not compile how many times i should haved died.

i organized régional to mondial compétions.

I have done some creasy stunt, but never publised that. - I broke my back - ( not good for the kids )

if you can, please remove the vidéos from your posts.

Merci, Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pierrec86934804  wrote

if you can, please remove the vidéos from your posts.

Merci, Pierre

???    Not quite sure where you are coming from  on this one Pierre?  There so many crazy stunts associated with GoPro, Red  Bull etc. there's no escaping it.  The latest thing I have become aware of is Speed Flying.   From what I can make of it, the idea is to get as close as you can to smashing into the mountain, and if you are too far  away, you loop the loop to get you closer.

Our TV news has shown video of at least one wingsuit 'flyer' just before the law averages caught up with him.  I think the people who hand out the Darwin Award will have had to refinance because they are handing out so many.  Perhaps they can approach GoPro and Red Bull for  sponsorship?

OK, I Googled Darwin Award hoping to find a certificate I could add the appropriate logos to.  What I found was unrelated, but made me smile enough to want to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW45Remember.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had a first thought, and here it is:

SFTW45Waterfall 1200 JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Jane. I'm very impressed if he came over the falls in that kayak. It's a 22 metre drop !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Nice job Jane. I'm very impressed if he came over the falls in that kayak. It's a 22 metre drop !

Dave, watch this video taken 20 minutes away from where I live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFCZYyn3vw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video is even better — these falls are 189 feet (57.6 meters):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXh9gXDd2Y

The pros love the waterfalls, and I love to watch them. No one has paddled High Force, but I did find one article about a guy who fell in from the top when he was trying to get a photo. It did not end well. Maybe this guy is just playing in the eddies.

This is a beautiful photo, Dave. You are lucky to have so many pretty places so close by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week045.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waterfall-Guardians.jpg

Be careful where you venture. The "GUARDIANS" are watching.

Quick attempt on my wife 13"MBP while watching a movie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something quick, since I don't normally have time to play along

SFTW45Waterfall.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines