• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 46 - Get it off your chest!

Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We had a great response to last week's waterfall challenge, thanks to all that took part.  Regulars to "Something for the weekend" will know that sometimes we start with a scene and sometimes with an object. Well, given that last few challenges have been scenes, I thought this time we should start with an object. So I bring you this old chest.

What can you do with the chest to incorporate it into an image that tells us a story? Will you tell us the secrets it keeps, show us who used it, or will you use it for something else entirely?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy - come and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW46Chest.jpg

Enjoy the weekend.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can indeed offer critique. Constructive criticism is welcome in this thread

Actually I did use a curve - but you are right - a little more saturation may have helped further. It is good to see how some of thse are constructed, I see your image in the chest.

In case anyone is interested for the chest in sand:

Without curve

Using curve

Layers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice I like that we are seeing the layers now. Let me share mine while we are at it

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 7.26.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mo Moolla glad you like it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes yes this reminds me of the early windows wallpapers too.

This is what I call a "Feel Good Artwork"

Love it.. Nice one Ged. Could well become a wallpaper on a small laptop someday hehe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ged+Traynor  wrote

SFTW46.jpg

Ged that is spectacular.  Beautiful lighting, great shadows and detail.  I am not sure if the lid panels are supposed to be tinted glass, making it a sort of terrarium?  I love the tree growing though the lid.  Top stuff matey.  My favourite in quite a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor, glad you like it

Just watching Ireland beat New Zealand hopefully I don't speak to soon, 15 minutes to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was the longest 15 minutes of my life what a win

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an thought, but it looks like Dave's trunk has been discovered at the bottom of Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire UK. BBC News published this picture in a report about low water levels there. 

Image result for BBC Radio Derby

Going further off topic, Ladybower has a very cool feature 'The Plughole'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it may have been stolen

SFTW46Beach.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW46Beach.jpg\

Nice attention to detail Dave. And if you used the Smudge Tool...excellent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mo+Moolla  wrote

And I’ve just noticed that it has been dragged by someone all the way from the rocks and most likely from the castle itself. There is a story being told in this picture!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mo+Moolla   wrote

And I’ve just noticed that it has been dragged by someone all the way from the rocks and most likely from the castle itself. There is a story being told in this picture!

And that it is now filled with gold coins — I can attest from my own coin collection that this is an extremely heavy trunk/chest and I am impressed with the strength of those who dragged it this far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW46Chest.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this cheating? I will see if I can think of something else too

waterfallChest.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is version 2 - a more arty approach and my first animated gif

Final version
SFTW46Chest3.jpg

Animated Creation
SFTW46Chest3gif.gif

How it was done:

1. Removed the background using Quick selection of the chest and selecting inverse.
  2. New layer - Filter > Render > Clouds.
  3. Select chest layer - Filter > Pixelate > Pointillize. Choose cell size.
  4. Duplicate above layer. Filter > Stylize > Find Edges.
  5. Move layer from step 4 over layer from step 3, adjust opacity to blend layers.
  6. Adjust brightness and contrast and colour balance.
  7. Filter > Render > Lens Flare....
  8. Adjust brightness and contrast and colour balance.

For animated gif.
  9. Duplicated and merged layers to make each main step a full screen layer.
  10. In timeline - click Create Frame Animation.
  11. In timeline - Make Frames From Layers.
  12. Change time of each fame to 0.5 seconds and loop from Once to Forever.
  13. File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)...
  14. Choose Preset - GIF 128 Dithered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW46Gold.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE CHEST.jpg

A LATE HALLOWEEN ARRIVAL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week046.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista

I love the design and the images on the chest. One question though - should the reflection be vertical?

It's the engineer in me that makes me think like that

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dave, you are right of course.  I can see it now.  I suppose that is the difference between a shadow and a reflection.  Thanks for pointing it out and demonstrating it.

The images are the 4 sides of a cubical ashtray, a piece of Limoges porcelain I inherited from an aunt who bought it in Paris on her honeymoon in the 1920's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  They fit well with texture treatment you gave to the metal parts of the chest which have come out looking more like an engaved silver design which is more in keeping with the porcelain "tiles" than the pitted and aged metal of the original chest image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get what off my self? Or should I say, get what off my me?

I wonder whether my choosing colours, which is stronger than I, is bearable or (too) boring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

love the smoke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob, a smoking , drinking treasure chest ! Extra points for including the beach from a couple of weeks ago!

Trevor - I would not want to swim near that plug-hole !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor - I would not want to swim near that plug-hole !

Dave

Dave, I will admit to feeling a wee bit queasy just looking at it.   In actual fact, I think that it would be reasonably safe to swim up providing the water level was _just_ level with the brim.  It looks barely any more dangerous than an infinity pool.

Brave souls do rope down it when dry, and it  is a long way to the bottom.

I am not sure if once at the bottom, you can exit via the tunnels, or  if you'd need to climb back up.  Cavers, and even arborists,  would laugh in the face of so trivial a climb, but it looks like hard work to me.

BTW I am working on an image for this week.  Honest  injun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines