• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 51 - Merry Christmas!

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I thought we should have a Christmas themed scene for this week's starter image. So I've modelled and rendered the scene - can you bring it to life?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW51Christmas.jpg

Enjoy - and have a great Christmas.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

I always had to goto bed when the nazi come... don't think i've ever seen the real end yet so no spoilers please

Spoiler Alert: the eight year old laughed long and heartily when the Nazis were outsmarted and the Trapp family gets away. (The story is based on the real Trapp family, so it is not really a spoiler that they escaped.)

Sister1: Reverend Mother, I have sinned.

Sister2: I too, Reverend Mother.

(I won't spoil it completely; so I am stopping here and not saying how the Nazis were outsmarted.)

This is a story about goodness, love of country, love of family, and being with the one you love. What is not to like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My very best #1 granddaughter (age 8) made this:

SFTWChristmasLolo 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from my very best 11-year-old granddaughter:

SFTWChristmasImmi 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob - great use of the mine from the previous SFTW!

Jerry - Yes that's what Christmas looked like!

Jane - those are both brilliant entries.
           Granddaughter  age 8 - Santa and Rudolph look like they are having a great time - but do they know the presents are on                     fire !!
           Granddaughter age 12 - That's scary ! The hands in the stockings are great !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply from very best granddaughter, age 8:

Santa and Rudolf do not know the presents are on fire.

Reply from best granddaughter, age 11:

Thx. I really like Stranger Things; that's why I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that explains everything, thank you - and my apologies for making one young lady older than she is

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote

Jacob, what is the significance of the above flowers to you?   We call it the New Zealand Christmas Tree, but it's proper name is Pohutukawa (NZ) or Metrosideros excelsa elswhere.   We have one in the corner of our garden, and I have just rushed outside and taken this having seen your post.  It's a bit late for it now, and the flowers are past their best.  Plus this particular specimen is in a corner and a bit strangled by other growth.

It usually has a few Yellow Eye flying around it, but they were deep in the branches when I went out there, and none obliging for a clear shot.  Just a couple of buzzing wasps that love the flowers.  I forced the shot of Yellow Eyes below, by putting seed on the sundial a while back, but these sort of shots always feel a bit unnatural to me.  For anyone trying to deconstruct the lighting, the sun was camera left, and there was a BIG golden reflector camera right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F8 about 200 shutter?

seed is fair imo... at least the birds get something out of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

F8 about 200 shutter?

seed is fair imo... at least the birds get something out of it

It's on my flickr stream, so the full EXIF is there.

BTW   Our TV news mentioned your heatwave tonight.  49.5°C (121°F).  I didn't catch where this was, but I am guessing Alice or there abouts?   That is pretty damn hot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Posting #55, I really hoped that you would have another look at the thread before the transition today, knowing that you (maybe as the only one) would recognize it.

I came across the concept of the (Southern) Christmas Tree(s), which proved to be dual in the form of the Pohutukawa/New Zealand Christmas Tree and the Australian Christmas Tree (maybe Graham can tell us its native name), 36 years ago somewhere in the middle of the thickest book I have ever opened; it was was about all the different kinds of plants. As for animals, the cute one is found in NZ and the less cute one in  Australia, of course.

That concept and the beauty of the tree have stayed with me ever since, so I found it impossible to resist its use in this way here, showing as the one and only Christmas tree (needing just a wee bit of blanking (or walling) out to hide a snippet in the upper part of the very nice decorated one) in just the right context, including presents under it.

I first considered a full tree (rooted in the floor), but I very soon realized that none would be able fit and hide as needed, so I settled for the greater challenge (for yous/the others) and ease (for me) of a foreground close up.

It was a great pleasure to see your post #56, including the photos of your very own (were any presents to be found under it?) and the exquisite one of the Yellow Eyes in the spotlight.

The spreads in the latter reminded me of a rather simple (and (also) unphotoshopped) photo of a humble blackbird (and a sparrow just above it) in another thread almost two years ago.

Re: It is here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I believe we have a similar tree in Arizona, called locally the Bottle Brush Tree. Always loved them and your fine pictures of it. Thank you for sharing this exchange. Have a wonderful New Years Eve and all year long. Best always, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas holiday. I wish you a happy New Year.

I look forward to Something for the Weekend challenges in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines