• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 59 - A room with a view.

Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There are times in life when sometimes it is nice just like to get away from it all. In my case my ideal would be a nice empty beach where I could spend my days windsurfing. Of course I would need some suitable accommodation, which is where you come in.

The beach below, which is Findhorn in Scotland, is nice and empty. So for this weekend's challenge, can you build the accomodation.

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. This is to stop the thread slowing down when lots of images are added.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW59Beach.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!  I need a push!

women drivers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My husband related to this one with a  huge laugh. He said, "Have not done that since a teen."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F1Vanc  wrote

Help!  I need a push!

This one made me laugh.  What's with the user ID?  Do you have an interest in Formula 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, been following since Schumacher and Barichello (sp?), but don't follow much now since Hamilton wins everything!  Alonso made a hugh tactical error!

Not sure what you mean about the user id.  The forum won't use my user name or avatar for some reason. Been too busy to follow up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F1Vanc, when you have a pit stop long enough, Madison will know the right someone to ask about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob!  I will check it out soon... appreciate your suggestion! I stopped my racing years ago when I turned 70!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F1Vanc  wrote

.......The forum won't use my user name or avatar for some reason. .

Hi

The forum displays your username to everyone but yourself. So we see this :

Your avatar needs to be approved by staff before it will display. Normal moderators don't get to approve those.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

kphotpage - that looks like another nice balcony to drink a coffee and watch the world go by.

Jacob - the doors are back again

F1Vanc - Love the car being pushed. As for the castle, you should have been here a couple of weeks ago when we had the rebuild a castle challenge.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your name is also back, Dave, (albeit) written in the sand, by the (very locally rooted) literate occupant using the fifth door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave...now I've got it!  I'll follow up with the avatar problem, and I do appreciate your explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F1Vanc  wrote

Yes, been following since Schumacher and Barichello (sp?), but don't follow much now since Hamilton wins everything!  Alonso made a huge tactical error!

I don't really follow it nowadays, but used to when one of my brothers was involved.  He worked for Ford, so went to whichever team had the Ford engine starting with Benetton, and Michael Schumacher's first world championship.  My brother is mentioned in Ibra Malik's new book 1994 having supplied some of the pictures, and anecdotes for the book.   I was actually offered the job before my brother (I worked with Steve Taylor at Ford Research, and Steve was in charge of the contract) but I didn't fancy being away from home most of the year.

F1Vanc  wrote

I stopped my racing years ago when I turned 70!

Driving fast on NZ roads is treated akin to murder, so I drive an SUV to remove the temptation.  I'd love to see a NZ cop encounter UK driving, where they stop bikes doing 160MPH.  It would totally blow their tiny minds.  I have done a number of Advanced Riding courses with police motorcyclists, and we'd top 120MPH every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! You have much more involvement in racing that I ever did. The last time I raced is drag racing at 16 yo, 1958!

My first experience was when our son and I saw Nigel Mansell in an Indy car after he won the F1 championship.  We saw him at Laguna Seca in 1993 in California.  We followed F1 for many years, but there seem to be too dxxx many rules now.  Makes it safer, but makes it much more robot like. Seems now it's 95% car and 5% driver.  Seemed better in the "old Days".  I guess the "grumpy old man" is showing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Mansell was not well liked by the pit crews.  I've been told a few stories I can't share

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Scottish cove can always use a Scottish castle!

Joanh - I visit the gorge  all the time.  In Vancouver... small world!

scottish castle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

There are times in life when sometimes it is nice just like to get away from it all. In my case my ideal would be a nice empty beach where I could spend my days windsurfing. Of course I would need some suitable accommodation, which is where you come in. The beach below, which is Findhorn in Scotland, is nice and empty. So for this weekend's challenge, can you build the accommodation.

Most likely you will be seeking a 5-star inn after your long days of wind-surfing, Dave, but these stellar accommodations are far better than any inn, because they offer you thousands of stars.

~ Jane

SFTW59Beach JE 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just seen that George Mendonsa, who featured in SFTW #4, has passed away at the age of 95.  He outlived the soldiers who raised the flag in Joe Rosenthal's Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima photo.  I think Kim Phuc aka 'Napalm Girl' and Sharbat Gula aka Afgan Girl are both still with us.  Are there any modern iconic images like this?

George Mendonsa, sailor kissing nurse in iconic V-J Day photo, dead at 95 - CBS News

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Are there any modern iconic images like this?

George Mendonsa, sailor kissing nurse in iconic V-J Day photo, dead at 95 - CBS News

Unfortunately, yes:

This picture of Jessica Holliday (with Diwana Perez, right) would come to symbolize in media updates the suffering surrounding the tragic Columbine High School shootings. Photo by George Kochaniec.

and 9/11/2001:

FDNY Three firefighters raise the American flag in the afternoon on the pile of wreckage of the World Trade Center, now Ground Zero. Dan McWilliams, George Johnson, Ladder 157, and Billy Eisengrein, Rescue 2 by Thomas E Franklin. Photo on view in 9/11 Memorial Museum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I saw that news today Trevor. Iconic image indeed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Trevor - Elephant tightrope walking - is that an extreme sport? With a crocodile at the end, probably!

Jane - A room with a view of the stars - very nice.

Unfortunately , my family seem to have gotten wind of my ambition to get away from it all .............

SFTW59BeachBuried.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Unfortunately , my family seem to have gotten wind of my ambition to get away from it all .............

Unfortunate, indeed, Dave. At least they got a photo of you before heading off for a beer and curry dinner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Most likely you will be seeking a 5-star inn after your long days of wind-surfing, Dave, but these stellar accommodations are far better than any inn, because they offer you thousands of stars.

~ Jane

Jane, that night sky is not without risk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jane, that night sky is not without risk. 

Trevor, I appreciate the dire warning, and will most certainly be on the lookout the next time I sleep outside my tarp. But away from the city lights, and when the moon is not full, oh look at that starry, starry night!

EDIT: My sister says you got the Milky Way just right for a summer night in Scotland, Trevor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor, I appreciate the dire warning, and will most certainly be on the lookout the next time I sleep outside my tarp. But away from the city lights, and when the moon is not full, oh look at that starry, starry night!

It's all too risky Jane.  One moment you are gazing up at the stars, and the next one of your ears has fallen off. 

Image result for starry night

jane-e  wrote

EDIT: My sister says you got the Milky Way just right for a summer night in Scotland, Trevor!

I actually wondered about this from a 'viewed from different parts of the world' point of view.  We can see the milky way arch as per my post #45.  This is the Moeraki Boulders south of Christchurch.   I guess it would a seasonal thing linked to latitude. If you are a long way south or north, then you might only get the best view of the galactic plane in summer months.  This is pure guess though.

As for sleeping under the stars in Scotland, you'd need to be dunked in Deet to make it bearable.  I've camped at the head of Wastwater in the Lake District, and the moment the sun dipped behind Yewbarrow Fell, the mozzies came out of the grass like tiny flying piranha fish devouring any living flesh they could find.  The trick was to get squared away before that time, zip up the tent and go to the pub.  I've not camped in Scotland, but the mozzies are supposed to be even worse there.  I climbed Sgùrr Alasdair on the Isle of Skye years ago, and got down well into dusk, and the mozzies were a nightmare.  The campsite there is infamous for it.

I can't mention the Black Cuillin without sharing the Dany McAskill video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

It's all too risky Jane.  One moment you are gazing up at the stars, and the next one of your ears has fallen off. 

jane-e   wrote

I did not realize all the risks I was taking on the many nights I pitched a tarp for “in case of rain” and then moved out under the stars, Trevor. Aliens! Ears falling off! Mosquitoes! No See Ums! I will certainly be more careful.

Or maybe not.

When my friends tried to wake me up because they thought they saw a bear hovering over me, all I could think was well, if it hasn’t hurt me yet, it probably won’t. And I didn’t see how I would be safer under a tarp. I went back to sleep and they stayed awake. They still bring it up, because some stories never stop being told.

Did you take the photo of the Moeraki Boulders and the Milky Way? It’s beautiful!

As many times as I’ve seen the Danny Macaskill video, it is always worth watching again. I love that he can do all that.

Trevor.Dennis​ wrote:

I guess it would a seasonal thing linked to latitude. If you are a long way south or north, then you might only get the best view of the galactic plane in summer months.  This is pure guess though.

I can ask my sister if you want. She would know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines