Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 8 - The Angel

Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some excellent responses to last weekend's challenge. This time I've gone for something a bit different , but I hope it will get just as wide a range of creative responses.

This is the Angel of the North which is 20 years old this week. Designed by Antony Gormley, and completed in 1998, it was very controversial when first erected. Over the years has become something of an icon in the North East of England and, due to its location, has become one of the most viewed pieces of art in the world - seen by more than one person every second.  Built of steel, it stands 20 metres tall, has a wingspan of 54 metres, and weighs 200 tonnes!

So the challenge this week, on the angel's 20th birthday, is to use the statue in an image of your own. Feel free to alter it, warp it , give it new material, put it to a new use but do keep it (sort of) recognisable within your image.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW8Angel.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick one for the photographers...

SFTW8AngelCamera.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha !! This is awesome Dave !!  Like we are right there !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If brains were dynamite, that man wouldn't have enough to blow his Stars and Stripes socks off. I just love the fact he's allowed drilling for oil off the coast of California and forbidden drilling off the coast of Mar A Largo even though the field there is much bigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gorgeous Ged !! Love it <3<3<3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is even weirder than Ged's . Virtually nothing remains of the angel, but it is under there somewhere At least the hill remains.

Angel02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Terri that's high up there on the weirdness scale

Cool image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ged, see they have finally made you an ACP, very much deserved congratulations.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Terri, I went mad and applied to be a Mod as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats, @Ged_Traynor, on both accounts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jane-e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have just started the "spot the angel" competition Terri . Are those bits of the angel on the tepees or is it just my eyes playing tricks ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow Terri I had the same thought when I saw this angel... a definite great piece for a totem !  I love it !! ❤️ AND yes agreed on select subject. It worked quite well with this piece... if only all pieces were that easy ! Having that basic background sky made it a simple chore for this nice little tool friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell we think very alike Jodi. I bet you've also realised the angel would make a great moon rocket with an incandescent vapour trail behind it. Any newbies here that's a challenge for you, there are plenty of rocket launch images on Google Images. Seriously get involved as this is how you learn to use Photoshop. The video tutorials are great but you really only learn by 'doing' . We want our Adobe Photoshop Forum to be a community where people who just love this program come together and make great images and when we are flummoxed and don't know how to do something then we know there will always be someone in the community to ask who knows how.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lot's of great images last weekend.

Any volunteers to put up an image this Friday ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I send you one Dave ?? Or do I post it ? But I'd rather you post it if you want to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Jodi

Can you PM me a link to the image.

You can use the Creative Cloud to do this (I'll set out how below as it may benefit others) I often use that method for one off transfers to other Adobe users and it works well.

1.Copy the image into your Creative Cloud Files folder on your PC

2. Once synced go to the web (via the CC app > Assets > Files > View on Web)

3. On the CC web find the image, click the arrow under the image and in the drop down box choose Send Link. You will be asked to make it public (which you need to do to share the file)

4. Copy the link and send it to me via PM.

I will let you know as soon as I've downloaded it so you can make it private again or delete it from the cloud space.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Message sent Dave !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....and received thanks. I'll put it up on Friday

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone noticed just how well the new 'Select-Subject' command works with the angel? Below is the result of a single click composited on a testing black background with no refinement. It's not 100% perfect but it even picks up the little knobbly bits on the wings.

select subject.jpg

Below is the result of a single click with the 'Magic Wand' tool

select subject2.jpg

Clever stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Terri, it's often worth a click as a good starting point - and if it messes up entirely it's just as quick to press Ctrl+Z and move on to another method.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Angel arises

Angel Arises 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah !! So glad I checked in ! Awesome work Jane. Sort of reminds me of the statue on the beach in the ORIGINAL Planet Of The Apes. I never had an interest in watching the remakes. Anyways it has that feeling. Love it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

Not only is it arising but it's been sandblasted to take the rust off 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, the "sandblasting" was something I learned from Terry White to match the colors. The brown wasn't working.

• Select the Angel
  • Select the ocean layer
  • Cmd + J > Move this layer to the top
  • Filter > Average
  • Blending Mode: Color

I'm on my iPad, but I think those are the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know  I'm very late with this, got interrupted in the middle and that was several days ago.

I was thinking of a sort of Rising too.

Week8_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines