Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 81- "The train now standing at platform 3...."

Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The train standing at platform 3 of Aviemore station, in the highlands of Scotland, runs on the Strathspey steam railway. Situated in the Cairngorms national park, Aviemore is popular with walkers and cyclists in the summer and snowsports enthusiasts in the winter.

For this weeks challenge, you have an empty station scene, what will you do with it?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW81Platform.jpg
Have fun
Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was into trains at an early age

SFTW81Platform-BH.jpg

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week081.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sftwe81.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a total gift.  It slotted right in just as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every Christmas tree needs a train!

~ Jane

SFTW81Platform 1200 JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way or another, he's getting on that train!

SFTW81PlatformAviles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"ve got a ticket to ride! JH

SFTW81Platform train.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standing ​at ​ on ​the platform:

Standing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

Standing at on the platform:

Woah!  Ged has got competition in the bizarre stakes.  A great idea John, and so well done .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

love the shoes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are, I believe, old tin prosthetic legs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting up steam

SFTW81Steam.gif

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the subtle animation in this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dave,Jacob, and Jane - thanks for the nice comments on the images. I made the steam animation in After Effects and the rusty metal in the mud was made in Blender, textured in Adobe's Substance Painter, with the original image passed through Photoshop's "Find edges" filter and used as a height map, then rendered in Blender.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is getting on this train!

SFTW81PlatformFire.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Bob - Great start with Thomas, it fits well

Rista - That's a clever use of both this week's train and the old tube scene to make a ghost train.

Graham - Period costume for a period scene. I wonder if that could be Brunel and he has come to build us a bridge.

Trevor - The Harry potter poster using the train was good - but I love the toy train idea.

Jane - Who got a train set for Christmas then ?

Rafael - He'll be caught for dangerous flying. Is that why he set fire to the train in your second image?

Jacob , are those animals hitching a ride or did they get caught up on the train's journey through nearby farmland?
John - That's a very clever idea to give the train legs, and very well executed.

Plenty time for more!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There always seems to be one contributor missing from your comments, so I am going to be bold and say:

Dave — should we be worried about the steam pouring out from under the engine?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

All quite normal - for example: The Best of British Steam Compilation 2013 - YouTube Remember the pistons are down by the wheels

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Remember the pistons are down by the wheels

Dave

I had forgotten that, Dave. Or, more likely, I never knew it?   Most of what I know about trains is what I've learned from train songs, and they don't sing about the pistons!

Now that I think about it, every single train song I can think of is about U.S. trains.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Now that I think about it, every single train song I can think of is about U.S. trains.

Hi

I had to take up that challenge . How about:

Rock 'n'Roll Train - AC/DC AC/DC - Rock N Roll Train (from Live at River Plate) - YouTube  I had to put that in first as Brian Johnson came from the North East of England and never lost his accent.

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath - YouTube

Last Train to London - Electric Light Orchestra Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train to London (Official Video) - YouTube

Graffiti on the Train - Stereophonics Stereophonics - Graffiti On The Train - YouTube

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I had to take up that challenge . How about:

Rock 'n'Roll Train - AC/DC AC/DC - Rock N Roll Train (from Live at River Plate) - YouTube  I had to put that in first as Brian Johnson came from the North East of England and never lost his accent.

Yes, the chorus is about a “runaway train” but you’ll have try a lot harder to convince me it‘s a song about trains, not drugs!

“One hot angel, One cool devil, Your mind on the fantasy, Living on the ecstasy
Give it all, give it, Give it what you got, Come on give it all a lot
Pick it up move it, Give it to the spot
Your mind on fantasy, Living on ecstasy”

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath - YouTube

Not this one, either. This is about someone whose life has gotten “off track”, but it’s not about trains!

In the shuffling madness Of the locomotive breath,
Runs the all, time loser, Headlong to his death

Last Train to London - Electric Light Orchestra Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train to London (Official Video) - YouTube

This one has a train in it, so yay! But it’s a stretch to say it’s a train song. It’s about love, not trains.

It was one of those nights, one of those nights when
you feel the fire is burnin', everybody was there,
everybody to share
It felt so right.

There you were on your own, lookin' like you were
The only one around, I had to be with you,
nothin' else that I could do,
I should have been away, but I knew I'd have to stay.

Graffiti on the Train - Stereophonics Stereophonics - Graffiti On The Train - YouTube

Yes, to this one, but oh, so sad! He gets killed by the train while spray painting “Marry Me, I love you” and she sees the graffiti and then he doesn’t get off the train. How heartbreaking!

I'm giving you a score of 1 out of 4. They are great songs, but three of them aren't train songs!

Look at these. These are train songs! You can find other artists for most of these.

The Wreck of the Old 97

The Wreck of the Old 97 - YouTube

The Wabash Cannonball

Wabash Cannonball - Flatt & Scruggs - YouTube

Daddy, What's a Train — Utah Phillips

Daddy, What's a Train? - YouTube

Freight Train

freight train elizabeth cotten - YouTube

And my favorite! I've been looking for this for a decade or maybe two, and found it again today!

The Trusty Lariat

Harry 'Mac' McClintock - The Trusty Lariat - YouTube

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a harsh judge Jane

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines