Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 81- "The train now standing at platform 3...."

Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The train standing at platform 3 of Aviemore station, in the highlands of Scotland, runs on the Strathspey steam railway. Situated in the Cairngorms national park, Aviemore is popular with walkers and cyclists in the summer and snowsports enthusiasts in the winter.

For this weeks challenge, you have an empty station scene, what will you do with it?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW81Platform.jpg
Have fun
Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, Dave, I am!  

I listened to all of your songs, but I'm pretty sure you answered before you had time to listen to any of mine.

But we didn't define terms, did we? Is a Train Song a song about trains? Or does it just have to have the word "train" in it? I'm willing to listen to your line of reasoning!

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

You're a harsh judge Jane

Dave

Blimey, ain't that the truth. 

One or two what I thought obvious train songs:

The runaway train came over the hill and she blew...

Chattanooga Choo Choo

Last Train to Clarksville

One from Dave's era

Last of the Steam Powered Trains by the Kinks

And one from my era

And some close

Railway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Train Wheels on Fire

Let's Do the Locomotive

Light My Boiler Fire by The Doors

Railway Bridge Over troubled Water

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think railway to heaven is the Canadian tourist train with the glass top, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm   wrote

You're a harsh judge Jane

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Blimey, ain't that the truth. 

Apologies to both of you — sincere ones!

And look! I've found a British train song: "The Beatles Train Song", in the midst of this clip:

Beatles complete "the train song" from A Hard Day's Night film - video dailymotion

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then there's Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans

Arlo Guthrie City Of New Orleans.wmv - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, Susan, others over there,

Here is an unmistakably British train song, maybe the first rap ever from 83 years ago, with highly relevant destinations, and (hints of) the well known chuffing:

"This is the night mail" - WH Auden - YouTube

No mentioning of the pistons, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an evening of listening to obscure music, the trains, like the songs, became just memories.......

SFTW81Memories.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, davescm​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice indeed, Dave.

And obviously created on a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a Chicagoan, I have to point out that City of New Orleans is a Steve Goodman song.

And lest we forget, the classic Down by the Station. ​Does any other song have the word "Pufferbellies" int it?

And in the world of classical, there's Arthur Honegger's ​Pacific 231.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Jacob , are those animals hitching a ride or did they get caught up on the train's journey through nearby farmland?

I am afraid it is worse than it may look: they had heard the song of The Great Train Robbery, so they decided to form an international gang of wily waylayers: the winged, the woolly, and the wee ween wraiths, striking at the stop on the stretch most obvious, close to home and easy to hold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob —

Reminiscent of the Bremen Town Musicians.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for sharing, John, and right you are.

At least some of us learn something new this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Americans of a certain age will remember these TV ads: 1950s Good N Plenty "Coo-Choo Charlie" Commercial - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tune for the G&P commercial is, of course, The Ballad of Casey Jones:

Casey Jones Pete Seeger - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric​ wrote:

I like this Casey Jones better

Casey Jones by the Dead and The Ballad of Casey Jones (traditional) are totally different songs and should never be confused with each other. I like both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm loving all of the submissions so far.  If I have the opportunity, I'll throw something in there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Remember that the weekend runs from Friday to Friday, so you have three days still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my nine-year-old granddaughter:

"Dr. Who is fixing the rainbow portal while Donna watches impatiently."

SFTW81LSD.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We've not seen a post from her for a while. Will the train appear in another part of the universe when the portal is working again?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the artist herself:

"Yes, it will!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

From the artist herself:

"Yes, it will!"

I love their imagination Jane, but I really love how direct young children can be.  It's fascinating how their minds work.

Dave is right about the dark and scary Manga images.  Is that a severed head on the tracks?  I think I told you about the time a PJ budy of mine took a picture of a rodeo rider whose hat was in the air, and the angle was perfect for me to move the rider's head back into the hat and show the bloody stump of his neck.  I uploaded it the camera club FB group, and it somehow got to the rider's parents who went crazy.  What I had not realized from the picture was that this was a junior event, and the rider was just ten years old.     I had to delete thee post, and much to my regret, I didn't keep a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my 12-year-old granddaughter:

"UwU"

sftw81goryUwU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines