Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 9 - Mr Dressup

Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Given that last weekend's angel challenge is still going strong it almost seems a shame to start a new challenge. But Friday is here so it is indeed time for a new one

This week's challenge is set for us by Jodi_Frye   It is a scene from one of her favourite TV show when she was "little" - Mr Dressup. So Jodi's  challenge to us, is to use one or more of the characters in a new scene.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

mrdressup1.jpg

Dave (on behalf of Jodi this week )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will make Jodi happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha Terri that's awesome. My sweet babies.   Though that is a much much later episode way past my days or watching. Ya know that series went from 1967 to 1996 !!  I have not been able to find any of the earliest episodes. I can tell ya I was watching in 67 when I was little. Ernie Coombs died in 2001 and he was well loved and known by many. Thanks for posting as it forced me to look things up. I had no idea the show lasted that long ! No surprise though   ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jodi_Frye  wrote

Ha ha Terri that's awesome. My sweet babies.   Though that is a much much later episode way past my days or watching. Ya know that series went from 1967 to 1996 !!  I have not been able to find any of the earliest episodes. I can tell ya I was watching in 67 when I was little. Ernie Coombs died in 2001 and he was well loved and known by many. Thanks for posting as it forced me to look things up. I had no idea the show lasted that long ! No surprise though   ❤️

I looked him up as well Jodi as the show didn't play in the UK. He seems to have been a thoroughly nice man, the sort we don't produce anymore. I was particularly saddened by the fact his wife, Marlene, died when a car mounted the pavement in Toronto and ran her over in 1992 and yet Ernie carried on entertaining children grief stricken. Believe it or not there are 30 minute episodes on YouTube and I watched one this afternoon and loved it. Thank you so much for remembering Mr Dressup, he's not here any longer but deserves to be remembered for moulding a young generation to be nice and not political.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Terri when I was looking him up I read about those details as well. How awful about his wife. I couldn't imagine how it affected him. The show was probably the best escape for him. I really had no idea it lasted so long and he died only 5 years after it ended. But he was well respected and loved. He certainly made my childhood a better place.    Thank you. ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri I was just on YouTube and a collection of his most popular shows ( 187 ) was just updated 2 days ago so I'm thinking there is a reason why I have been thinking about him over the past few weeks. I'm not alone in admiring this Canadian icon.  Weird how memories come back out of the blue like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know who the characters are, but Jodi seems to hold them in high regard so....

Mr-Dressup-Rushmore.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very ingenious Dave , your are a star

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shear genius, Dave.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I love this Dave !!! Yes you have made them quite special and important here. I love how you did this. They fit in so nicely. Really well done.  I will never see that monument the same way again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, Dave, and it will also make Jodi happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri - Not only one image but you've managed to tell us a whole story

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

the next one will be nice Jodi, I promise. I've never seen Mr Dressup. Here in England we had similar characters called Sooty and Sweep who I think you would have liked. Sooty is the bear.

550w_ds_icons_sweep_03.jpg

Which gave me an idea.  We had proper bad ass puppets in the UK

Strangely, this probably took me more time than any other challenge image because of rebuilding making various image elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That's the way to do it!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

"That's the way to do it!"

That's both a puppet and a UK reference in case it's too obscure (a bad puppet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Trevor i wasnt expecting that !!!  You turned poor Sooty into a badass pirate and Casey looks quite punkish with a crazed attitude. But Mr. Dressup seems quite fine with it so I guess it's ok. This time ...Nice rebuild 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, the shirt re-build and added arm are very impressive -- right down to the wrinkles & shadows.  You will have to teach that to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Trevor, the shirt re-build and added arm are very impressive -- right down to the wrinkles & shadows.  You will have to teach that to us.

Yes, the arm.

And the new piece on the left. And the curtains. And the different angle of the man's head. And the size of the blue door with different windows. And the angle of the puppet and the dog. And the part under the ledge. And the added roof.

Yes, impressive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all splendid for sure.  It's just that the shirt & arm build is so convincing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Ummmm.....   Well....   I kind of cheated....    Any time I see a proprietary image, as in one not one that one of us took ourselves, then I pretty much always look for a better version.   I originally lifted the arm and used Puppet Warp and made a fake surface for the arm to lean on.  Then I thought it didn't need it, and placed Sooty behind the arm as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Ummmm.....   Well....   I kind of cheated....    Any time I see a proprietary image, as in one not one that one of us took ourselves, then I pretty much always look for a better version. 

I was pretty sure it was a different photo, but was also pretty sure you would say so.

I was inspecting the stitching in the cuff of the shirt and wondering how you got all those perfect stitches, and then started noticing all the other differences that I mentioned earlier that would be pretty hard edits.

Still, it's good!

(And then again, I'm the one who threw in the original photo that the statue was based on!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it real or just a dream in the clouds..?

SFTW9Clouds.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. Have you been eating magic mushrooms again Dave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

Amazing. Have you been eating magic mushrooms again Dave?

Haha - you don't want to know what I see when I close my eyes

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I love these clouds Dave !! How wonderful of an idea you've brought forth. Beautiful work. ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines