• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The color brown in hue/saturation layer

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am adding color to an infrared photo.  After making a selection with Color Range, I add a Hue/Saturation layer and check "colorize."  No trouble with blue sky and green foliage, but  shades of brown for a tree trunk?  Does not happen.  Thanks for help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

I think I have it.  For step 4 I added a Curves adjustment layer using the previous layer as a clipping mask.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lanecito,

Could you please share the screenshot of the image and your Photoshop work space?

Photoshop doesn’t colorize pure white pixels and pure black pixels because colorization affects only gray pixels (from a brightness value of 1 to 254).

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Sahil.Chawla​ advised, it would help if we could see the image. That said, assuming you chose a precise brown but the value is too dark or weak to show adequate tonal variation or depth, you may consider then switching to Lab Color. By adjusting the L curve you can change the tone values and contrast of the tree trunk without altering its brown color value. Then return to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you please share a screenshot with us so that we can see the problem that you are facing ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you could do is set your foreground color to a color you like, and in the Color panel, set it to HSB Sliders, and then copy these values into the Hue/Saturation panel:

It can also help to set the Blending Mode of the Hue/Saturation layer to Color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Backgrou

nd is a CR2 from Lightroom. Here the active layer is the tree trunk

selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this to post an image here:

__insert image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have a screen shot jpeg, but I can't figure out how to insert it

where you want it. Sorry....

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 9:34 AM norman.sanders <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Post, it is #5, indicated that you had an image to show us. Just choose Reply in the flower right to get a new panel. Click  click on the symbol in the new panel that is indicated in Post #6. You will then have an opportunity, from the list of files on your computer, to choose on the file you want to post. Click on it. Then click on Add Reply in the lower left of your reply panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trunk.png

Choose a Foreground color Brown and Edit > Fill with the Layer Blending Mode set to Color.

Then adjust the intensity and contrast with a Curves adjustment (and the Mask you have created).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman,

When I do as you direct, the brown foreground color is gray in the H/S mask layers and brown everywhere in the Background layer.  I don't know the next step which is to apply the brown to a layer with everything but the tree trunk masked out.  Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.Since you are satisfied with the rest of the image, add a composite Layer (Cmd+Opt+Shift+E) to the top of the stack and duplicate the composite.

2. Then choose the top composite layer, Edit > Fill with your choice of Brown. Set its Layer Blending Mode to Color.

3. Add a Mask to the top composite that is white in the area of trunk and black in the remainder of the mask.

4. Apply a curve to the top composite image (not the mask) to arrive at the desired density, contrast and modeling of the trunk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I have it.  For step 4 I added a Curves adjustment layer using the previous layer as a clipping mask.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines