Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TIFF has less contrast than PNG export

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I'm working on a 4x3m print, so I chose TIFF format for export.

But the image comes out with way less contrast than while I'm working on it in Photoshop. 
I tried exporting in PNG and the contrast is just fine, so the problem must come from the TIFF format...?
( I'm working in CMYK by the way )
I really need it to be TIFF for such a large scale print, but the contrast has to be the same that on the PNG export.
Any idea on why this is happening ? 
Thanks a lot 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you comparing the contrast? What app and system?

If you reopen both TIFF and PNG in Photoshop, do you see the same contrast, or has it gone bad?

And by the way there is no such thing as a CMYK PNG ! If you export it will be converted to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, import RAW files into Lightroom then edit in Photoshop to return to Lightroom and colors have changed. Did an update today and that's when it started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post meanigful screenshots? 

That one does not illustrate the images’ Color Spaces for example. 

And what are the applications’ Color Settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots of all three images (psd, tif, png). 

Can there even be CMYK-pngs? 

Edit: Ah, @Test Screen Name already posted! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly are you choosing tif for export, is this in the camera or in photoshop? Might be the color profile you have set for tif does not have as wide a gamut. Can we please see the settings you are using for tif. If you are shooting this in your camera use the raw file format for best quality.

What happens if you convert the RGB png to RGB tif in photoshop? Should look similar. No such thing as CMYK PNG and don't ever use CMYK JPG is a msitake that they even allow that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Publish and export' of Create, open, and export cloud documents says Ps iPad lets export to tif format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, to help - we need to know your colour spaces,

What's the ICC profile of the original CMYK working space??

I wonder if your PNG is RGB - perhaps without an embedded profile? That would mess this comparison up 

IS it for an injket print?
Are you working in the CMYK colourspace of the output device? generally its considered better to work in RGB to get best gamut, even when printing to an inkjet machine with a RIP driving it]

When you save the file are you checking 'embed profile' [I recommend you SAVE or SAVE AS (to save a version) not EXPORT]

How are you viewing the saved tiff? does it have an embedded profile?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a little confused. Once you export as a .png it automatically converts to RGB so even though you are working in CMYK the comparision isn't accurate. You really need to compare the .psd to the .tiff and check the export settings. Perhaps posting your images here will help us see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide meaningful information about your problem including the requested screenshots of the layered image and the png (with Status Bar set to Document Profile). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about reading the replies and providing the requested information? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, to help - we need to know your colour spaces,

What's the ICC profile of the original CMYK working space??

I wonder if your PNG is RGB - perhaps without an embedded profile? That would mess this comparison up 

IS it for an injket print?
Are you working in the CMYK colourspace of the output device? generally it's considered better to work in RGB to get best gamut, even when printing to an inkjet machine with a RIP driving it]

When you save the file are you checking 'embed profile' [I recommend you SAVE or SAVE AS (to save a version) not EXPORT]

How are you viewing the saved tiff? does it have an embedded profile?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're actually facing the same problem, then stop working for a PNG in CMYK. There is no such thing as a CMYK PNG.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it seems that has already been covered in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, agree with that, the simple answer

neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines