• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toggle shortcut to turn brush into eraser

Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen in other threads that this has been an issue for several users. I use that toggle in Clip Studio Paint quite a bit and as sometimes I still paint some quick things in Photoshop, I would love to assign a shortkey to the same button on my Cintiq remote. That muscle memory is always kicking in. 

Has that issue been solved by now? I know that there's some sort of toggle for US citizens with the tilde key. But for one, I don't have a tilde key and secondly, from what I've read, that's a hold-and-release toggle, which isn't the best when you use the eraser for a bit longer.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

There is a shortcut! I learned this from Tony Harmer (hosts with Adobe Live UK on Behance). For Windows it Shift+Alt+R (for Mac Shift+Opt+R I think). This changes the Brush Mode to Clear for using as an Eraser.

As S_Gans says below, you could use this shortcut in a Wacom tablet setup. I have mine set a button to tap easily with the pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

I ended up buying the Togglerator plugin from Gumroad which does exactly what I need. It has a little lag when you switch, but that's OK. Eventually this should be implemented in Photoshop. It really is a very convenient toggle and there's a reason why it is in Clip Studio Paint as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

It's Alt+Shift+N to return to Normal. I find it useful but then toggle keys are not easy for me to use; with my Wacom tablet I have on-screen shortcuts I can tap easily with my pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no real toggle for the actual paintbrush tool, except for that hold and release tilde toggle yo mention. BUT, you can try using the B shortcut and the E shortcut to jump between tools. Since I don't have a Cintiq, I'm unsure how you'd set that in it's tools. For my Intuos Pro, I can assign a button, or set up the setting in the tablet driver.

2022-12-11_14-20-43.png

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

On my UK keyboard, the toggle key is not the ~ key but the ¬`¦ key (to the left of 1 and above Tab). As you say that is a press and hold to temporarily change a brush to eraser. Outside of that I just use E and B shortcuts as described by S_Gans

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a shortcut! I learned this from Tony Harmer (hosts with Adobe Live UK on Behance). For Windows it Shift+Alt+R (for Mac Shift+Opt+R I think). This changes the Brush Mode to Clear for using as an Eraser.

As S_Gans says below, you could use this shortcut in a Wacom tablet setup. I have mine set a button to tap easily with the pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got SO excited when I saw this - so I tried it on my Mac. Turns out, while that may work well on Windows, it doesn't exist on the Mac. In fact, I tried with many key combinations, and haven't been able to find it (and don't see the option in the customize keyboard shortcuts command. I'd LOVE to find this, so if anyone does know about it on Mac, please chime in!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some trusty friends with Macs experiment for me and this is what worked for them:

Option+Shift+R works for them 👍🏼 To return to Normal Mode: Option+Shift+N

I hope it works for you and you can be excited and happy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S_Gans,

A mistake i've made so many times is trying to change the Brush Mode to Behind or Clear only to realize those Brush Modes and their respective keyboard shortcuts only work if the layer is not the Background layer or a Layer Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thejanebradbury wrote:

I learned this from Tony Harmer... For Windows it Shift+Alt+R (for Mac Shift+Opt+R I think). This changes the Brush Mode to Clear for using as an Eraser.

@S_Gans wrote:

Turns out, while that may work well on Windows, it doesn't exist on the Mac. ...I'd LOVE to find this, so if anyone does know about it on Mac, please chime in!

Design Ninja @tonyharmer uses a Mac, Stephanie, so the shortcut absolutely does exist on macOS! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggesting that. I have already known about that one. Unfortunately it's not a toggle, just a shortcut to jump to the "Clear" mode. And when I hit SHIFT-ALT-R again, nothing happens and it stays in the "Clear" mode. The difference is, that a toggle can be assigned to ONE button on my remote, which is very easy to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Alt+Shift+N to return to Normal. I find it useful but then toggle keys are not easy for me to use; with my Wacom tablet I have on-screen shortcuts I can tap easily with my pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up buying the Togglerator plugin from Gumroad which does exactly what I need. It has a little lag when you switch, but that's OK. Eventually this should be implemented in Photoshop. It really is a very convenient toggle and there's a reason why it is in Clip Studio Paint as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue hasn't been corrected yet, but i found an easy fix. With Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator you can remap any key to the desired one, even if not the same language. So using it, i've remap my ² key (french keyboard) into ` key (unicode U+0060) which behave like the tilde shorcut, it is still a toggle hold and release but works like it should.

more explanation here : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/workarounds-for-the-non-working-tilde...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip. I'll stick with Togglerator though as I sometimes use the eraser for longer and holding a key throughout all that is too annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines